Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Postman Guarantees White Christmas

Options
  • 15-12-2009 6:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Well 90% certain guarantees a white christmas. None of your poncy GFS models are needed in Donegal. Michael Gallagher the Postman in Glenfin is the MAN.

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalnews/Dreaming-of-a-white-Christmas.5912271.jp

He uses sophisticated 3d atmospheric optical analysis methodologies.
    "When the sun shines on to the Blue stack mountains and down to the lowlands it's turning a reddish-brown colour - that's a sign of snow."

and for those of you further back the learning curve
    The huge interest in old traditions and techniques and the study of animal behaviour prompted him to complete a book this year called 'Traditional weather signs'.

He then analyses ground based indicators at the base of this vertical Opto Atmospheric plane.
    The 61-year-old adds: "The fox is getting very busy, looking for hens and howling at two in the morning." All these signs are pushing him in the direction to believe that children will be building snowmen this December.

Having said that he and Ken were in broad agreement not all that long back

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/experts-say-weve-seen-the-last-of-the-sun-this-summer-1825021.html

And I will say that Michael Gallagher was quite right then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Well 90% certain guarantees a white christmas. None of your poncy GFS models are needed in Donegal. Michael Gallagher the Postman in Glenfin is the MAN.

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalnews/Dreaming-of-a-white-Christmas.5912271.jp

He uses sophisticated 3d atmospheric optical analysis methodologies.

and for those of you further back the learning curve

He then analyses ground based indicators at the base of this vertical Opto Atmospheric plane.

Having said that he and Ken were in broad agreement not all that long back

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/experts-say-weve-seen-the-last-of-the-sun-this-summer-1825021.html

And I will say that Michael Gallagher was quite right then.

He was dead right in 2000 when we got nearly a foot of snow in donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

What area is his forecast covering? If a brown sun over the Blue Stacks means snow is on the way, then it might snow, in the Blue Stacks... (or does a brown sun over the hills of Donegal mean snow for all of Ireland?

Didn't see any brown sun here yet. Should I be worried? :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Have you a "Blue Stack" for starters? One or more than one? He likes "Blue Stacks" himself. If not then come back in here when you have a few handy and have bought the book , m'kay :p !!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

What area is his forecast covering? If a brown sun over the Blue Stacks means snow is on the way, then it might snow, in the Blue Stacks... (or does a brown sun over the hills of Donegal mean snow for all of Ireland?

Didn't see any brown sun here yet. Should I be worried? :o

He said on the report on breakingnews.ie widespread snowfall, Go on the post man :)

Postmen know tings....
    Actually, my nana who was from Donegal, used to say something about the sky being brown when snow was due.

• Advertisement

I was just thinking that if things spin, then things will actually spin.

To expand, I was walking on a square tile today, only I just didn't realize that it was a square tile until my brain registered it as being a square and recognized it as such. That is, a square tile.

There is a little rock in my garden and I noticed it was pointing NE today, I thought this odd, as it always pointed to the north east on a good day. That can only mean one thing. It is going to snow in Cork on Christmas Day! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

and the ground will be white when the snow falls...thats a real give away.:D

Im in donegal this christmas, have been with my donegal wife 8 years and it always snowed at christmas in donegal (or so she claims) before i went out with her but since then it has never snowed... amazing if you believe that.. so I am looking to be snowed in this year... i would love a white christmas for my new babys 1st one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

He didn't mean the sun was brown, but the lowlands...

Poetic turn of phrase...

Am high up in the Blue Stacks and brown it has been the last days.

I was just thinking that if things spin, then things will actually spin.

To expand, I was walking on a square tile today, only I just didn't realize that it was a square tile until my brain registered it as being a square and recognized it as such. That is, a square tile.

There is a little rock in my garden and I noticed it was pointing NE today, I thought this odd, as it always pointed to the north east on a good day. That can only mean one thing. It is going to snow in Cork on Christmas Day! :eek:
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Weather prediction expert:rolleyes: We all expect the opposite of his predictions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

There's always someone every year who says something about snails climbing higher on the walls or seagulls flying upside down equals snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

looks like the postie should just stick to puttin the right post in the right letterbox for the time being,the outlook is for it to get milder from christmas day on....then again if even a small part of the country gets a
    few flakes he will be technically right;).......

To be fair to him he got it spot on , he never said there would be snow on christmas day exactly , he said in the run up to christmas , i.e. the christmas period.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yeah he said 90% chance at least 10 days before christmas and it will have been feckin FREEZIN for 9 out of those 10 days. Pretty spot on by Met Éireann standards innit :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

He was dead right, fair play to him, hopefully his methods won't be lost in time.

Some of the old folk lore is fascinating.

They say that when there is a heavy crop of eg haws it will be a hard winter.

This year the hawthorns were red with them.

It seems that we would say that that is because of a good summer.

But this year, we had a hard May when they were in blossom; even more so for the blackthorn and where we are the whitethorn blossom was a glory but hardly any sloes; too few insects to pollinate in that chilly weather?

Yet the haws were heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Birds going mental today.
    There was a mass of them earlier with twigs and berries in almost all their peaks.
    probably normal but have never witnessed such a large amount at the same time doing it.
    This nature forecasting is cool.
    All i need to see now is one of those polar bears:D

yes the wildlife is interesting in the cold weather, it really comes out to survive, i have 2 robins outside my door every day now ,they are like pets :)

Pangea wrote: »
    yes the wildlife is interesting in the cold weather, it really comes out to survive, i have 2 robins outside my door every day now ,they are like pets :)

There is an old wives tale around these parts that if 2 robins land outside your door it is a sign that you are destined to die a horrible and agonising death within 8 days. :(

:P

There is an old wives tale around these parts that if 2 robins land outside your door it is a sign that you are destined to die a horrible and agonising death within 8 days. :(

Ha ha god almighty , thanks for that :pac:

• Advertisement

you have watched The Ring too many times.:pac:

More likely that one of the robins is going to die a horrible and agonsiing death - from the other robin...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Ha ha god almighty , thanks for that :pac:

you weren't planning on going to Tuam in the next eight days were you?? if not you should be safe Pangea. I tell you the only good thing about that wretched place is the road out of there:P

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

hes dead right this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

you weren't planning on going to Tuam in the next eight days were you?? if not you should be safe Pangea. I tell you the only good thing about that wretched place is the road out of there:P

Ah, so that's what that song is really about :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Just wat he was saying about the animals & food ( they sense it so need to hoard food) the dog all day today has been hiding food everywhere - seriously she never does anything like that..... But there are little piles of it hidden under everything..... She even took the blankey out of her bed filled it with food & put the blankey back in ontop of it.................

One of our dogs did that with her Brussels sprouts; thought she had eaten them....

She would never hoard anything; eats everything straight away...
    jenzz wrote: »
    Just wat he was saying about the animals & food ( they sense it so need to hoard food) the dog all day today has been hiding food everywhere - seriously she never does anything like that..... But there are little piles of it hidden under everything..... She even took the blankey out of her bed filled it with food & put the blankey back in ontop of it.................

IrishTimes.

DONEGAL POSTMAN Michael Gallagher knew his prediction about a white Christmas would come true when he had to abandon his Christmas Eve deliveries because of snow and ice.

The 60-year-old postman from Glenfin forecast a white Christmas a full fortnight before it actually happened. He did so not by tracking weather fronts or through satellite technology, but by the time-honoured means of observing the signs of nature.

Mr Gallagher based his predictions on the observations of an old woman who said when the Blue Stack mountains were bathed in an orange glow from the winter sun, a prolonged cold snap was on its way.

Cattle and sheep were hungry, the blackbirds were coming very close to the houses and the holly berries were picked clean on the bushes: more signs, Mr Gallagher said, that a white Christmas was imminent.

He said it was “just beautiful” to wake up on Christmas morning and find that his forecast had come to pass, but the credit belonged to those from previous generations who had passed their weather lore down to him.

“Past generations lived by the signs and what was around them, which was nature. They didn’t have television or radio to tell them,” he said.

Not being a gambling man, Mr Gallagher eschewed the prospects of making a tidy sum if he had bet on a white Christmas, but his successful forecasting will do no harm for sales of his book, Traditional Weather Signs.

Mr Gallagher is forecasting more of the same weather over the new year. “I can see it getting even worse,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

who are we to argue with him. as for the new year getting worse bring it on:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Has anyone read Evelyn Cusacks bio on RTE weather site? I don't think that she would agree with Michael Gallaghers methods of predicting the weather.

Advertisement