Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Postman Guarantees White Christmas

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Has anyone read Evelyn Cusacks bio on RTE weather site? I don't think that she would agree with Michael Gallaghers methods of predicting the weather.
    lol of course they wouldnt!
    Gallagher got it spot on, White christmas for me on the day and for many others in the christmas period. Fair play to him ,old reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

White Christmas for me :D

Snow fell for over an hour

He got it spot on :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

this is donegal on Christmas day http://www.flickr.com/photos/39454894@N02/4222581235/ lots of snow, the postman was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Not only was he spot on but he got a slagging on the Mooney show before Christmas I think it was from the EAgle who more or less dismissed him and his methods of forecasting on the spot.

Wonder who had the last laugh on this :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

I'm probably giving away my age here , but does anyone who went to national school in the 70's remember the series "Sean and Maura" there was a story called "Trouble in the mountains", as far as I remember the postman in that story forecast the snow.....so maybe science does not know everything.... :D

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Graces7 wrote: »
    Some of the old folk lore is fascinating.

They say that when there is a heavy crop of eg haws it will be a hard winter.

This year the hawthorns were red with them.

It seems that we would say that that is because of a good summer.

But this year, we had a hard May when they were in blossom; even more so for the blackthorn and where we are the whitethorn blossom was a glory but hardly any sloes; too few insects to pollinate in that chilly weather?

Yet the haws were heavy.

now here in East Clare it was a bumper year for sloes (I made loads of sloe gin for Christmas presents :D)
    I was always brought up (in Yorkshire, UK) with the lore "heavy crop of berries, hard winter ahead" and it's certainly proved true this winter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Six cold days is not a "hard winter"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Who says its only 6? Your teeth may be chattering for another 3 months!

Ever seen "the day after tomorrow"? ;)

Michael usually gets his predictions right - I'm from nearby to him. Whenever he has said a white christmas is on the way, it always is and whenever the summer is good/bad - he's right too!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

been a lot longer than 6 days.... my long-johns are stading upright on a night when I take them off...should really buy another pair so I can wash these :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Possibility, he could be on the late late show tonight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Graces7 wrote: »
    He didn't mean the sun was brown, but the lowlands...

Poetic turn of phrase...

Am high up in the Blue Stacks and brown it has been the last days.

What's even more impressive about his predections is his total non mention of ECMWF, PVA, hPa, Dewp, FI, GFS, UKMO, WAA, GEM, NAO, CFS, NOGAPS or NCEP.

If I left out any please fill them in:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

MTC :D

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

howlinwolf wrote: »
    looks like the postie should just stick to puttin the right post in the right letterbox for the time being,the outlook is for it to get milder from christmas day on....then again if even a small part of the country gets a
    few flakes he will be technically right;).......

think he is a bit more than technically right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Has he said anything about when it is going to end?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Last time we were talking to him (I'm locallish to him) which was just after xmas, he said it would last well into the new year. I haven't heard yet when he reckons it will end - just hope its soon! My parents have bloody frozen pipes!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

thought he'd predicted a white christmas for the last 10 years

has to be right sometime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 devais

Heard that he has predicted that we will have a "good spring" whatever that means....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

thought he'd predicted a white christmas for the last 10 years

has to be right sometime
    No actually youll find he has not predicted it for a long time now.

Advertisement