Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Since when did the price of a hair colour not include a blow dry?

• 15-12-2009 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

It has been a long time since I had my hair coloured but any time I did it was always blow dried afterwards.

Today I rang a number of hairdressers in Galway to be told that I have to pay 20-25 extra for a blow dry. I know for a fact that I have gotten many colours and highlights in the past and I was never sent out with a head of wet hair!!

Do all hairdressers charge extra to do a blow dry with a colour?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

This does my nut.

Last time I got my hair done in the Style Club, they even charged me for a 'blow dry' for plonking me under that heated helmet thing for 25 minutes. So that means the blow dry charge is not even optional unless you want to leave with wet hair. Surely a blow dry should be assumed?

That was the last time I went there anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I have my own salon and all my prices include a blowdry or a cut and blowdry!

Alot of salons near me charge extra though I think its mad :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭cacio

I hate this!

I rang a few places in Galway too and got told from the ones I rang that I had to pay extra.

Surely if you're paying €100+ for colour and cut they can dry your hair for free. I only noticed this recently too and can't recall if it was always that way. What happens if you say you dont want a blowdry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

cacio wrote: »
    I hate this!

I rang a few places in Galway too and got told from the ones I rang that I had to pay extra.

Surely if you're paying €100+ for colour and cut they can dry your hair for free. I only noticed this recently too and can't recall if it was always that way. What happens if you say you dont want a blowdry?

They dont blowdry your hair! They leave you with wet hair!

I was recently charged 20 yoyos for a Blowdry after having my hair cut in a salon, The girl cutting it asked did I want her to dry it, I said obviously and then am charged €75 for a feckin haircut :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

i was looking at style club prices online only last night and noticed that they charged extra for a blow dry if you're having a colour. not only that but they have different levels of blow drying and it costs more or less depending on which one. i thought it was ridiculous and only a practice in higher end salons but seeing this thread i'm shocked!
    i'm disgusted that salons think they can get away with charging people to dry their hair, its expensive enough as it is whenever you're getting highlights or a colour.

hopefully my favourite local salon doesnt start following this trend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Ive never noticed that in any hairdressers, hasnt always been like that anyway. Thats a joke and a half.

*mine don't do it...wahoo*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Brown Sugar in Blackrock charge extra for blow dry when having a colour too.

I love the salon but found this very disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

I'm glad I am not the only person to be shocked by this but I'm not so glad that it seems to be common practice. I'll be going back to colouring my hair myself if this is the case. You would think that given the shortage of cash people have these days the hairdressers would be reducing their prices and not increasing them.

I made my appointment in the end with the hairdressing college, this is fine if you want it done midweek but they don't open weekends.

Does any body know of any other Salons in Galway that are not a rip off at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

That's an absolute joke. In this climate they should be begging people to come in the door with amazing offers, not charging them for a blow dry on top of a few €100 highlights. I would make a point of not booking with anyone who would do this. The idea of letting someone walk out of a salon with wet hair after a colour because a few sprays of a hair dryer is extra is CRAZY.

Totally shocked by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

Kaskade wrote: »
    I'm glad I am not the only person to be shocked by this but I'm not so glad that it seems to be common practice. I'll be going back to colouring my hair myself if this is the case. You would think that given the shortage of cash people have these days the hairdressers would be reducing their prices and not increasing them.

I made my appointment in the end with the hairdressing college, this is fine if you want it done midweek but they don't open weekends.

Does any body know of any other Salons in Galway that are not a rip off at the moment?

I go to The HUT on Market Street (I think it's called Market Street).
    I go to a guy called Daighe who is a great hairdresser and really sound. I have my hair dyed fire engine red, it costs me €65 euro and that includes the colour, a blow dry (they'll even do big curls etc) and he trims my fringe free of charge.

They have a free fringe trim policy where you can call in anytime and get your fringe trimmed. I always buy treatments from them cause my hair is damaged from the dye and straightening it and before I bought the big bottle, they gave me little samples to try. They couldn't be nicer in there..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

They dont blowdry your hair! They leave you with wet hair!

I was recently charged 20 yoyos for a Blowdry after having my hair cut in a salon, The girl cutting it asked did I want her to dry it, I said obviously and then am charged €75 for a feckin haircut :confused:

Why would you not have it done in your own salon?

It only happens because people accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

cacio wrote: »
    What happens if you say you dont want a blowdry?

Well my previous experience (as a curly haired girl) was that if I was put under the heat lamp thing I wasn't charged for a blow dry.
    If my hair was blow dried straight I was quite happy to pay for it (god love the poor person trying to do it, I'd say their arms were in bits, and it took aaaaages).

But as I said above, my last experience in the Style Club was that I was charged the same for a blow dry when all I did was sit there, and no one had to do anything.

So basically, if you don't want to leave with wet hair in the dead of winter, that's an extra 25 euro please...

Absolutely shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Reading the thread title I thought the op had made a mistake and was charged for an extra treatment or something but it seems to be a common enough practice. That is an absolute disgrace!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

No way in hell would I pay extra for a blow dry!!

You made it wet, now you make it dry!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭cacio

It's so odd that they'd let you leave with wet hair.

Surely that looks bad on their part and will reduce the word-of-mouth advertisement that so many salons rely on.

How can you tell if your colour/highlights/cut is ok if they dont dry it?
    If you say to the hairdresser you dont want it blowdried but you want to see the end result to make sure it's ok what do they do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

I have baby fine hair - got it trimmed today and blow dry. I was in and out of the salon in 27 minutes (I know cos i got txt just as I sat at the wash basin) so that includes time spent washing hair, towel dry, looking for hairbrushes, getting my coat afterwards, etc - 45 euro. Seeing as my hair was practically dry by the end of the hair cut I'm fairly annoyed at this. My sister has shoulder length thick hair which takes ages to dry and she only gets charged 45e at the same salon too. I'd cut it myself if I only could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I got my hair coloured (semi permanent), washed and blow dried today for €50. No charging extra for blow dries and cut if you get a colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

Kaskade wrote: »
    It has been a long time since I had my hair coloured but any time I did it was always blow dried afterwards.

Today I rang a number of hairdressers in Galway to be told that I have to pay 20-25 extra for a blow dry. I know for a fact that I have gotten many colours and highlights in the past and I was never sent out with a head of wet hair!!

Do all hairdressers charge extra to do a blow dry with a colour?

Yes but most only advertise with the blowdry included. i think peter marks might show seperate prices on their window

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My salon in Edinburgh charged extra for cuts and blowdries with colour, but advertised it clearly (oh, and it still worked out at half the price of getting it done here :rolleyes:). I'd have a heart attack if a place tried to charge me extra for a blow dry without advertising it.

I remember when I was about 15 I went into Peter Marks for a treatment. I asked several times what price it was, and they kept saying "Yeah, it's €12". Grand, I thought. Until I got to the desk and was charged over €30. When I questioned it, they said "Oh yeah, well the blow dry is extra". Not once had they mentioned it when I'd asked what the price was.

Faith wrote: »
    My salon in Edinburgh charged extra for cuts and blowdries with colour, but advertised it clearly (oh, and it still worked out at half the price of getting it done here :rolleyes:). I'd have a heart attack if a place tried to charge me extra for a blow dry without advertising it.

I remember when I was about 15 I went into Peter Marks for a treatment. I asked several times what price it was, and they kept saying "Yeah, it's €12". Grand, I thought. Until I got to the desk and was charged over €30. When I questioned it, they said "Oh yeah, well the blow dry is extra". Not once had they mentioned it when I'd asked what the price was.
    That is so annoying!!
    Does ayone else hate it when hairdressers try and sell you their overpriced products!!!:mad: I just want to get my hair cut and not have to listen to a sales pitch!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I have to say I'm fairly taken aback by this, didn't think even the Big-name salons would be that starvin'!

Gotta love my hairdresser, wash cut and blow-dry for under €20.

She has her garage converted into a salon and as she has small kids she works evenings. I can get my hair done up until 10.30/11 pm.

I'm going to her on Tuesday night at half nine for me Christmas 'do.

Must tell her about this, she'll get a right kick out of it!

Think toni & guy are doing 20% off now so i'd say they are getting desperate for customers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I get my hair cut regularly in Toni & Guy - they're doing a lot of special offers at the moment, but I've never been charged extra for a blow-dry, it's always included with the price for a cut. Don't know about colours though.

I heard of places doing it when I lived in Spain, but it was more than they quoted you a price, and if you asked not to have a blow dry, they knocked off a tenner. As it was so hot there, leaving with wet hair wasn't that big a deal. I can't believe places do it in Ireland and actually have the nerve to add it onto their price. Especially given that Irish hair dressers are extortionate as it is, not even London salons would dare to charge as much. Why do people pay it? I'd just refuse, and pay the price I was told it'd be. Absolute p*ss take. Either boycott the salon, or don't pay.

Peter marks are the only ones i know of that do this, maybe its cause they expect people to get it cut as well. But you'd think they'd have the decency to tell you before they dry your hair it costs an extra 25-30€. never got my hair coloured in toni&guy its too expensive and that stylist, top stylist, director crap is such bs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

This is crazy! I am shocked! Havn't went to a hair salon in years. My hairdresser works from home and she's a bargain and great!

Got my hair Highlighted (1/2head with 3colours), cut and blowdried for €55!

She charges €40 for T-bar and €70 for full head.

She charges me €10 for a blowdry!! Got my hair blowdried and styled with one of those bumpits for my xmas party last week and she only charged me €10.
    Asked her was it not more and she said nah it was just a blowdry, only took me an extra 5mins to do that! :D

She's FANTASTIC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

They've been doing this separate price thing in the U.S.A for years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Shoves

Miaireland wrote: »
    I got my hair coloured (semi permanent), washed and blow dried today for €50. No charging extra for blow dries and cut if you get a colour.

where did you get a colour, cut + blowdry for €50??? 1998??

Advertisement