Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Processor/Graphics Card Dell Dimension E520

Options
  • 15-12-2009 8:25pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

Am looking for some help on upgrading my Dimension E520.

I would like to upgrade the processor and graphics card, but I dont know how to find a processor /graphics card that would be compatible with my system,

Any help would be much appreciated .

Here is my current system spec:

Operating System System Model
    Windows Vista Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 6001)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (Ireland) Dell Inc. Dell DM061
    System Service Tag: 8DZGY2J (support for this PC)
    Chassis Serial Number: 8DZGY2J
    Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    1.87 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Not hyper-threaded Board: Dell Inc. 0WG864
    Serial Number: ..CN4811173P05ZR.
    Bus Clock: 1066 megahertz
    BIOS: Dell Inc. 2.3.2 03/30/2007
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    320.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    139.19 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A [CD-ROM drive]
    TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H353B [CD-ROM drive]

TEAC USB HS-CF Card USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
    TEAC USB HS-MS Card USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
    TEAC USB HS-SD Card USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
    TEAC USB HS-xD/SM USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
    WDC WD3200AAKS-75SBA0 [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 0, s/n W -DCWPA0Z860256, SMART Status: Healthy 4030 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM_1' has 1024 MB (serial number 04008119)
    Slot 'DIMM_3' has 1024 MB (serial number DD204B9C)
    Slot 'DIMM_2' has 1024 MB (serial number 00003194)
    Slot 'DIMM_4' has 1024 MB (serial number DD204B9D)
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 309.28 GB 132.09 GB free
    d: (NTFS on drive 0) 10.74 GB 7.09 GB free
    Network Drives
    None detected
    Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
    local user accounts last logon
    15/12/2009 07:10:54 (admin)
    local system accounts
    Administrator 02/11/2006 15:42:25 (admin)
    ASPNET never
    Guest never
    Sandra never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account

HP Officejet 5600 series on USB001
    HP Officejet 5600 series fax on USB001
    Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX:
    Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:
    Controllers Display
    None detected 256MB ATI Radeon X1300PRO [Display adapter]
    256MB ATI Radeon X1300PRO Secondary [Display adapter]
    SHARP LCD [Monitor]
    Bus Adapters Multimedia
    Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R SATA RAID Controller
    Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
    Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830
    Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2831
    Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2832
    Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2834
    Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2835
    Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 2836
    Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 283A High Definition Audio Device
    Virus Protection [Back to Top] new Group Policies
    McAfee VirusScan Enterprise Version 8.7.0.570
    Scan Engine Version 5400.1158
    Virus Definitions Version 15/12/2009 Rev 5833
    Last Disk Scan on 04 December 2009 23:26:25
    Realtime File Scanning On
    None discovered
    Communications Other Devices
    Intel(R) 82562V 10/100 Network Connection

Dhcp Server: none responded

Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    N1 Wireless USB Network Adapter #6
    primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.2 / 24
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    Dhcp Server: none responded

Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Networking Dns Server: 192.168.1.1
    HID-compliant consumer control device (2x)
    HID-compliant device
    USB Human Interface Device (3x)
    HID Keyboard Device
    HID-compliant mouse
    Generic USB Hub
    USB Composite Device
    USB Mass Storage Device
    USB Root Hub (7x)
    Generic volume shadow copy
    USB HS-CF Card
    USB HS-MS Card
    USB HS-SD Card
    USB HS-xD/SM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

What do you plan to do with the pc, games, media, general browsing. Whats your budget?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Hi cheers for the reply ,

I will be using its for gaming , Flight Simulator games and COD MW2 type of things and then some work related stuff,

Budget would be around €400-500, but one of the lads in our IT department can buy products direct from a distributor so that might save a few €€€€.

I also have a copy of windows 7 ultimate set aside for me and will prob put this on as I am led to believe its a lot more efficient than vista.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

that looks like an old intel mobo on that so your ( most likely ) limited to the Q6600 quads or 7/8 series dual cores. Do you need/want a quad core? more and more games are taking advantage of them and some require them. The problem is the Q6600 arent that fast compared to the latest quads, so your options for the cpu are:
    1. overclock your current cpu( you'd need a new cpu fan for that though )
    2. get a Q6600 or a 7/8 series dual core, e.g. E7200
    3. Get a cheap p35/p45 mobo and a Q9550 with a cpu fan and unleash the beast.

As for the gfx card, id recommend an nvidia 260 or ATI 4870 or 4890 or if you think you might want a DirectX11 card a 5770.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

lmimmfn wrote: »
    that looks like an old intel mobo on that so your ( most likely ) limited to the Q6600 quads or 7/8 series dual cores. Do you need/want a quad core? more and more games are taking advantage of them and some require them. The problem is the Q6600 arent that fast compared to the latest quads, so your options for the cpu are:

As for the gfx card, id recommend an nvidia 260 or ATI 4870 or 4890 or if you think you might want a DirectX11 card a 5770.

Cheers for that , I am looking at the suppliers site from work and was wondering will the following config work

Intel Desktop Board DP55SB Extreme Series €142.43
    Core i5-750/2.66GHz 8MB QPI DDR3 LGA11 €146.09
    PNY NVIDIA Quadro FX 580 : Quadro FX580/PCI-Express x16 512MB 128bit GDDR3 2xDisplay Port and ships with 1 x Display Port to DVI-SL cable and 1 x DVI to VGA Adapter €154.39 (Will this work with windows 7 )

Am i missing out on anything here ?

Could prob do with replacing the D drive with a nice new hard drive ,

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Cheers for that , I am looking at the suppliers site from work and was wondering will the following config work

Intel Desktop Board DP55SB Extreme Series €142.43
    Core i5-750/2.66GHz 8MB QPI DDR3 LGA11 €146.09
    PNY NVIDIA Quadro FX 580 : Quadro FX580/PCI-Express x16 512MB 128bit GDDR3 2xDisplay Port and ships with 1 x Display Port to DVI-SL cable and 1 x DVI to VGA Adapter €154.39 (Will this work with windows 7 )

Am i missing out on anything here ?

Could prob do with replacing the D drive with a nice new hard drive ,

Cheers
    UD3 Mobo

And don't forget you need DDR3 Ram to work on the 1156 socket boards.

Don't get a quadro for gaming either. Use a Ati 5770 or another limm suggested.

• Advertisement

^yep what he said, i ment to suggest i5 but i forgot in all my ramblings lol.

Also, can you double check the wattage of the PSU? might be far too tight with i5 + 5770 on a 300W PSU( if thats what it is )

I am sourcing all this from a supplier through work and the dont seem to have the UD3,

They have :
    Intel (32)
    Antec (3)
    Asustek (212)

Would this model do the job

Intel Desktop Board DP55WG Media Series ?

They have an Asus 5770 is this pretty much the same thing ?

ASUS EAH5770/2DIS/1GD5/V2
    Exclusive Voltage Tweak technology to increase extra performanceHDMI and DisplayPort output supportPCI Express and PCI Express 2.0 supportATI Radeon HD 5770 graphicsMicrosoft DirectX 11 supportHDCP compliantATI CrossFireX technology
    Product Description
    ASUS EAH5770/2DIS/1GD5/V2 - graphics adapter - Radeon HD 5770 - 1 GB

For the memory would this be ok ?

Kingston HyperX memory - 6 GB 1600MHz ( 3 x 2 GB ) - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 Non ECC,

Cheers for all the help and sorry for all the silly questions !

^yep what he said, i ment to suggest i5 but i forgot in all my ramblings lol.

Also, can you double check the wattage of the PSU? might be far too tight with i5 + 5770 on a 300W PSU( if thats what it is )

Would I be better off just getting a new PSU something along the line of

Corsair VX450W, it would only add €50 onto the bill

Would I be better off just getting a new PSU something along the line of

Corsair VX450W, it would only add €50 onto the bill
    yeah, i definately think that would be better than trying to reuse your current one. You do realise you've nearly replaced everything, might be good to sell that yoke and get everything you want :)

Yes the 5770 is a much better choice than the Quadro( which is ment for CAD work etc. not games ), that asus 5770 is a good choice as its under warranty for messing with the voltages( which can get you a really really good overclock with it ).

As for the P55 mobos, see if theres an Asus( Asustek ) P55 mobo in that list of yours :)

yeah, i definately think that would be better than trying to reuse your current one. You do realise you've nearly replaced everything, might be good to sell that yoke and get everything you want :)

Yes the 5770 is a much better choice than the Quadro( which is ment for CAD work etc. not games ), that asus 5770 is a good choice as its under warranty for messing with the voltages( which can get you a really really good overclock with it ).

As for the P55 mobos, see if theres an Asus( Asustek ) P55 mobo in that list of yours :)

There is an Asus one

ASUS P7P55D PRO
    P7P55D PRO - Motherboard - ATX - iP55 - LGA1156 Socket - UDMA133, Serial ATA-300 (RAID), eSATA - Gigabit Ethernet - FireWire - High Definition Audio (8-channel)

So if I were to build from scratch with a case , would I go with something like this :

Antec Nine Hundred

Nine Hundred/Ultimate Gamer Case- no PSU - 3x120mm and 1x200mm fan ,perforated front bezel,2xfront loaded HDD cages,takes mATX and ATX motherboards

Would I need much more or could I use the connectors, optical drive, hard drive from the old machine ?

This could end up a very enjoyable Xmas project !

• Advertisement

There is an Asus one

ASUS P7P55D PRO
    P7P55D PRO - Motherboard - ATX - iP55 - LGA1156 Socket - UDMA133, Serial ATA-300 (RAID), eSATA - Gigabit Ethernet - FireWire - High Definition Audio (8-channel)

So if I were to build from scratch with a case , would I go with something like this :

Antec Nine Hundred

Nine Hundred/Ultimate Gamer Case- no PSU - 3x120mm and 1x200mm fan ,perforated front bezel,2xfront loaded HDD cages,takes mATX and ATX motherboards

Would I need much more or could I use the connectors, optical drive, hard drive from the old machine ?

This could end up a very enjoyable Xmas project !
    are there any other asus mobos there, its a decent enough mobo, just doesnt have a POST diagnostics display( very very useful if youre not used to building ) or external CMOS reset( very very useful if you mess up and overclock )

That Antec 900 is a good case but isint toolless and from some reviews they say its a bit cramped, any other Antec cases in that list?

Id try and flog your current rig for ~200euro, the money you get from that would get you a good case, psu, harddrive( latest/fastest ) and dvd R/W and you'd still have change to spare and also you'd have the new warranties on that new stuff compared to gutting your old rig. Youll get all the connectors with the new components. you dont need anything extra other than: cpu, ram, mobo, case, psu, gfx card, harddrive, and dvd drive, maybe an xfi soundcard :)

Building is funnnnnnnnnnnnn :)

are there any other asus mobos there, its a decent enough mobo, just doesnt have a POST diagnostics display( very very useful if youre not used to building ) or external CMOS reset( very very useful if you mess up and overclock )

That Antec 900 is a good case but isint toolless and from some reviews they say its a bit cramped, any other Antec cases in that list?

Id try and flog your current rig for ~200euro, the money you get from that would get you a good case, psu, harddrive( latest/fastest ) and dvd R/W and you'd still have change to spare and also you'd have the new warranties on that new stuff compared to gutting your old rig. Youll get all the connectors with the new components. you dont need anything extra other than: cpu, ram, mobo, case, psu, gfx card, harddrive, and dvd drive, maybe an xfi soundcard :)

ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    ASUS P7P55 LX
    ASUS P7P55D-E Premium
    ASUS P7P55D-E Deluxe
    ASUS P7P55D-E EVO
    ASUS P7P55D-E PRO
    ASUS P7P55D Premium

Antec Nine Hundred Two
    Antec Mini Skeleton-90

It has a load of cases on it any particular one I should be on the look out for ?

ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    ASUS P7P55 LX
    ASUS P7P55D-E Premium
    ASUS P7P55D-E Deluxe
    ASUS P7P55D-E EVO
    ASUS P7P55D-E PRO
    ASUS P7P55D Premium

Antec Nine Hundred Two
    Antec Mini Skeleton-90

It has a load of cases on it any particular one I should be on the look out for ?
    id probably go with the ASUS P7P55D-E EVO from that list, double check if there are any gigabyte mobos, ud5 p55?

Antec Nine Hundred Two is a better case than the first revision you listed above, great case, apparently HDD installation is a bit awkward with it but other than that its a really good case.

*EDIT* also i think you should post the cost of the components that you've chosen as you've a limited selection and there might be cheaper alternatives available to buy for some of the stuff seperately.

id probably go with the ASUS P7P55D-E EVO from that list, double check if there are any gigabyte mobos, ud5 p55?

Antec Nine Hundred Two is a better case than the first revision you listed above, great case, apparently HDD installation is a bit awkward with it but other than that its a really good case.

*EDIT* also i think you should post the cost of the components that you've chosen as you've a limited selection and there might be cheaper alternatives available to buy for some of the stuff seperately.

There does not seem to be any gigabyte Mobos on there listings, would the Asus Mobo mentioned above have the post diagnostics display ?

I will do a list of cost on components in the morning ,as I am heading to bed soon enough .

Thanks again for all your help its much appreciated

There does not seem to be any gigabyte Mobos on there listings, would the Asus Mobo mentioned above have the post diagnostics display ?

I will do a list of cost on components in the morning ,as I am heading to bed soon enough .

Thanks again for all your help its much appreciated
    ok cool, no probs mate, nah it has the Asus Q-LED alternative as the other one has( i.e. lights to show mem/cpu/gpu errors etc. ). It does have a clear CMOS button on the back though so 1 improvement, that mobo also supports SLI and Crossfire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

1. Overclock a dell processor? its very difficult even for someone who knows how to do it

2. Which may or may not work, a lot people take advice here literally because they don't have a clue how things work, let alone how on earth to even put a processor in or build a PC.

3. Buy a motherboard and then a VERY expensive older quad chip, and then somehow install that into a dell 520, hook everything up and then somehow overclock all that????

Can his PSU run any of those graphics cards?

Hi there,

Am looking for some help on upgrading my Dimension E520.

I would like to upgrade the processor and graphics card, but I dont know how to find a processor /graphics card that would be compatible with my system,

Your graphics card is awful.

The quickest fastest upgrade for your PC would be an ATI 4770 graphics card, it has low power draw so it should work with your power supply. Your processor is old, but not terrible, coupled with a 4770 you would be able to play most modern games at a decent framerate on medium settings (my friends has the dell e520 with same processor and a 8800GT graphics card and it runs most games pretty smooth)

If you want performance though, silky smooth graphics, then you can get a much quicker machine by selling the Dell and using your entire budget to build a new PC.

At the moment the i5 is the best performance processor around, an entire system ordered from Germany will probably cost just a small bit over 700 euros.

Alternatively you can get a perfectly good dual or tricore machine for around 500, check in the budget builds above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

jonny72 wrote: »
    Valid point raised.

According to these specs. It's a mediocre 305 Watt.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/desktops/dimen_e520/pd.aspx?refid=dimen_e520&cs=22&s=dfh

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Those old 305W Deltas are allegedly under-rated and can hit nearly 350W; they're a lot more modern than most PSUs of the era. You could probably stick a HD5750 in there but no higher. Odds are it lacks the PCIe connector anyway (didn't stop a flood of people sticking 8800GTs in them back in the day though :D)

There are bigger issues: the best CPU you can possibly upgrade to is a Q6700; 965G can't handle the newer 45nm CPUs. After that you have to replace the case and PSU as well as the mobo as its all feckin' BTX :mad: Curse you Dell!

Past the CPU/GPU upgrade above the cost spirals out of control very quick owing to the added costs of a new case and PSU :rolleyes: You could recycle the RAM if its 800MHz or faster (or 667MHz CL4) and you use an AM3 CPU in conjunction with a newish AM2 mobo (as those still use DDR2); if you want something newer and better you'll be stuck buying 4GB of new DDR3 which will hurt; memory is dog expensive at the moment :mad: Suffice to say even if you recycle the drives and take full advantage of your industry contacts I don't see any LGA1156 build coming in anywhere in the vicinity of €500; it'll be out of the ballpark and halfway to the moon! :eek:

1. Overclock a dell processor? its very difficult even for someone who knows how to do it
    quite easy to do, ran my old P4 2.4Ghz and 2.8Ghz no problem.
    2. Which may or may not work, a lot people take advice here literally because they don't have a clue how things work, let alone how on earth to even put a processor in or build a PC.
    thats fair enough, he's asking for advice on components, i.e. to replace them himself, and if he has any issue we're always here to help.
    3. Buy a motherboard and then a VERY expensive older quad chip, and then somehow install that into a dell 520, hook everything up and then somehow overclock all that????
    please read my post after that, i.e. i5
    please read the whole thread.

And yes i already raised the PSU issue.

Cmon lads read the whole thread, its established that he's going i5, new psu, ATI 5770 and maybe a complete new rig

• Advertisement

quite easy to do, ran my old P4 2.4Ghz and 2.8Ghz no problem.

thats fair enough, he's asking for advice on components, i.e. to replace them himself, and if he has any issue we're always here to help.

please read my post after that, i.e. i5

please read the whole thread.

And yes i already raised the PSU issue.

Cmon lads read the whole thread, its established that he's going i5, new psu, ATI 5770 and maybe a complete new rig

Hi Lads,

After getting very helpful advice from Imimmfn last night I decided to go for a complete new build , I have a fair idea on the components again after advice from Imimmfn.

I know I wont be any where near my original budget , but if I am going to build myself I am prepared to spend the extra for something really good and powerful.

I will post up a costing on the system when I have it all decided on what I am going to go with.

I have been snowed under all day with work and have not had a chance to do it yet.

Thanks for all the helpful comments :)

Yup a new PC will be infinitely better, but tinkering with dells, thats on a whole other level

Hi Lads,

After getting very helpful advice from Imimmfn last night I decided to go for a complete new build , I have a fair idea on the components again after advice from Imimmfn.

I know I wont be any where near my original budget , but if I am going to build myself I am prepared to spend the extra for something really good and powerful.

I will post up a costing on the system when I have it all decided on what I am going to go with.

I have been snowed under all day with work and have not had a chance to do it yet.

Thanks for all the helpful comments :)
    cheers mate, yeah post the final prices so we can determine if cheaper components that you cant acquire from the list are available elsewhere.
    Yup a new PC will be infinitely better, but tinkering with dells, thats on a whole other level
    yep, been there, done that, got the tshirt and felt the damn pain of a completely non upgradeable system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Through everyones posting nobody has asked him what resolution the screen he's gaming on is! :eek:

Also it's debatable whether a quad is a good idea for a gaming rig or not and it's usually seen as the only way to really "futureproof" your build aside from getting a bit more juice in your psu, but now all of a sudden do we need i5's?

The answer is no.

How much does one gain from getting an i5 over a Phenom II? Probably not anything noticeable, unless maybe you have a very high end card in it too or are playing the most stressful game ever! Not worth the cost for the op though...
    Be interesting to know what speed the ram is in his machine, because an am2 build would be kewl if he could reuse his ram as Solitaire was saying.

Also op you should really post up all the prices that you're paying for the components. Even if you're getting the VAT off, sometimes when you don't get the usual products from companies that would generally be supplying business grade components, they could be charging well over the real world price(too tired to word properly soz hope you understand).

Also don't forget to mention what resolution you'll be playing it on! ;)

Effluo wrote: »
    Through everyones posting nobody has asked him what resolution the screen he's gaming on is! :eek:

Also it's debatable whether a quad is a good idea for a gaming rig or not and it's usually seen as the only way to really "futureproof" your build aside from getting a bit more juice in your psu, but now all of a sudden do we need i5's?

The answer is no.
    completely disagree in all accounts on that point, there are far too many games now that nned a quad and so many that take advantage of a quad:
    Need a quad:
    GTA IV,
    Prototype
    World In Conflict( bottlenecks on dual core )

Improve considerably with a quad:
    Lost Planet
    Dirt 1 & 2
    Dragon Age
    Batman AA
    Crysis/Warhead( even though it only uses 2 cores you can set it on core 2 & 3 and leave the OS on 1 )
    Grid

thats only naming a few, theres a few more i just cant remember them off hand.

You do raise the issue of resolution, but that gfx card dependent, unless youre saying buy a cpu to fuel your current resolution in which case thats a bit insane if someone was on a 1280x1024 screen, got the right cpu now and moved up to a 22" in 2 years and needed a new cpu also.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭noodle650

My rig consists of the following,

Case: Antec 900 with a psu flip mod and cable management
    Motherboard: Asus P5-nt deluxe
    CPU: Intel e8400 overclocked at 4ghz
    Ram: 2gb Corsair Dominator 1066mhz
    GPU: BFG 8800GTS 512mb (g92 version) overclocked
    Storage: 2x 160gb in RAID-0 and 1 250gb main drive for OS

I havnt had any problems with this case other than dust problems

I love my pc and have never had any heat/hardware problems with it, i put it together myself just over a year ago now, considering upgrading now.

edit: although i want a macbook pro for recording and live sound! hehe!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Unless its 2560*1600 its not that much of an issue at the moment :P Starting to get easier to find HD5750 stock than HD4770s, on some sites they're coming down to a realistic price (well under €100 on eBuyer) and consumes slightly less power than the HD4770. Plus unlike its predecessor the HD5750 is simply an underclocked and undervolted version of its bigger brother; same GDDR5 and 1GB framebuffer means that how well it does as a 1080p card is simply proportional to its overclock ;)
    completely disagree in all accounts on that point, there are far too many games now that nned a quad and so many that take advantage of a quad:
    Need a quad:
    GTA IV,
    Prototype

I think Eff was more worried about blowing big bucks on an i5; he's the first to add a third and even fourth core into a build to insulate it against the cruel future GTA4 thrusts upon us even now, its just that we might be getting carried away with speccing 4GHz i5 builds where the original budget had been €400+... :o

And I never have that much of an issue with WiC, and I have an 3.33GHz E5200 :P But yeah, GTA4 rapes my rig...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Solitaire to be honest GTA4 is a pretty rare case due to being such a crap port over to the PC :( You have to Xfire/SLI 2x1gb cards to run it with all the bells and whistles on full without modding the hell out of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Need a quad:
    GTA IV,
    Prototype

Well there you go, three! Yes there are a few more, but it is kinda funny how gta4 is over 1.5years old and World in Conflict is more than 2yrs old(like quads were meant to be the "wave of the future"). Then you have prototype which frame rates will be pretty high on no matter what he gets!

I do think Quad-core is a good idea, but it's certainly not necessary unless you'll be playing the very few exceptions.
    You do raise the issue of resolution, but that gfx card dependent, unless youre saying buy a cpu* to fuel your current resolution in which case thats a bit insane if someone was on a 1280x1024 screen, got the right cpu now and moved up to a 22" in 2 years and needed a new cpu also.

*Well i'm supposing that you mean gpu instead of cpu? :confused:

It's really not insane at all to get a gpu for your current resolution if you're happy with the current monitor and not going to upgrade the monitor anytime soon.

All this speculation is gonna get very expensive for the op :( :pac:

Bit off topic, but does anyone else think pc games will not get that much more cpu dependent until the next batch of consoles come out? Other than the few exceptions obv. Has this happened in the past?

• Advertisement

Well there you go, three! Yes there are a few more, but it is kinda funny how gta4 is over 1.5years old and World in Conflict is more than 2yrs old(like quads were meant to be the "wave of the future"). Then you have prototype which frame rates will be pretty high on no matter what he gets!
    that was only an example from my own list of games, there are loads more, if you want everything turned up Supreme Commander needs a quad. Bad Company 2 will need a quad, more and more games will need a quad.
    I do think Quad-core is a good idea, but it's certainly not necessary unless you'll be playing the very few exceptions.
    Well its a matter of opinion really and your gaming requirements of course. Ive come from an E6400 OC'd to 3.55Ghz and just got really annoyed with the perforance of lack thereof in games with my old nvidia 260. With a dual core a lot of games fluctuate in FPS really badly, i.e. when comparing min FPS to max, a quad removes that for a lot of games( Lost Planet is a good example of that problem, WiC also ).

The other issue is that the majority of PC games are ports, and most developers simply throw out the 360 version on PC, the problem is is that the 360 has 3 cores( hence the horrible performance in GTA IV on a dual core ). This is going to happen more and more in the future due to lazy porting.

At the end of the day if you want something to last the next 2 years you will need a quad. I rebuild every 2 years in general so its better and cheaper in the long run to be as prepared as you can for future titles( considering budget of course also ).

*Well i'm supposing that you mean gpu instead of cpu? :confused:

It's really not insane at all to get a gpu for your current resolution if you're happy with the current monitor and not going to upgrade the monitor anytime soon.
    No, i ment cpu, but yeah my post was messy, sorry about that. I just ment that at low resolutions the bottleneck will be the cpu, better cpu now would remove that problem and would be better when running higher spec gpu's in the future if a higher resolution screen is used.

All this speculation is gonna get very expensive for the op :( :pac:
    I agree completely, i did give alternatives to what he could do with his Dell, overclock/change cpu/gpu etc. so its entirely his own choice. To be honest because Dells are generally crap id advise a new build for the following reasons:
    1. Theyre usually very limited in their expansion capibilities
    2. Cooling isint too great if you ad more and more components
    3. The PSU while quite good for the spec of the original machine is junk when expanding it
    4. Buying a good case, dvd drive, harddrive and PSU means you can continue upgrading in the future without having to respend on those components, i built my i7 rig for 350euro( thats after no upgrades bar gpu for 2 years ) selling off my old cpu+mobo+ram and keeping case,psu etc.

Bit off topic, but does anyone else think pc games will not get that much more cpu dependent until the next batch of consoles come out? Other than the few exceptions obv. Has this happened in the past?
    Well i say it all with my point above lol, consoles have a min of 3 cpu's( excluding the Wii, but cmon its so old tech wise that its emulated already lol ) therefore ports will always suffer unless the devs spend extra time optimizing for the PC. Theres nothing worse than waiting for ages for the PC version of a game to be released and to find it runs like crap on your rig, GTA IV was like that for me, i bought it when i had my E6400, played it for 5 mins and gave up, never played it again until i got a quad, fair enough thats in the minority, however it was a game i was waiting for on the PC as the PS3 version which i also own looks like total crap.
    Solitaire wrote: »
    I think Eff was more worried about blowing big bucks on an i5; he's the first to add a third and even fourth core into a build to insulate it against the cruel future GTA4 thrusts upon us even now, its just that we might be getting carried away with speccing 4GHz i5 builds where the original budget had been €400+... :o

And I never have that much of an issue with WiC, and I have an 3.33GHz E5200 :P But yeah, GTA4 rapes my rig...
    lol, nah i agree, its upto the OP though, i can only give my opinion as the rest of us can, its down to requirements, at the end of the day if buying a rig now its best buying the best price/performer now but ensuring that it will be ok in 2 years time. My E6400 was just about getting old as was my 8800GT and because the were good price/performers when i bought them they lasted. I could have bought a cheaper AMD rig at the time and an 8600GT but id have had to have upgraded a year early to play games well.

The min FPS in WiC seriously benefit from a quad, if i max out everything completely i get 98FPS max, average of 72FPS and minimum of 38FPS with an i7 and 5850 @ 1680x1050, 16 by AA( i think whatever the max is for ATI cards in game ) and 16xAF. A mate has a Q9550@4.2ghz with 4870x2 and his min FPS are 22 at the same settings( so thats just the differences between Core 2 and i7 quads, but i know i could never run at the current settings i use with my old E6400 & 260, cant remember the min, i think it was 18 or 20 with 2xAA, tried the 260 on my i7 and the minimum FPS were 32 with 2xAA ).

Overclock that E5200 moarrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, thats a long rant.

Advertisement