Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

180 bpm

• 15-12-2009 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

I didn't leave cycling on good terms. And it's nagged me since. This log is hopefully going to chart my return to fitness, in which cycling will play a substantial element.

Goals are still fast and loose - club racing, touring events, triathlons.
    I had a log in A/R/T but having been told by a physio that my back isn't up to long distance running, it was the final straw in the decision to move it over here!
    background piece
    "Palmares" removed
    Tested with a lactate threshold output of just north of 300 watts in the winter post my first year senior (max was somewhere north of 360), and had worked up lasting the full hour on the turbo at threshold (180bpm). A very strong second years winter training resulted in overtraining which took months to recover from.
    I didn't do much racing that year, but came back under the guidance of a coach the following winter with much more respect for resting hr monitoring and resting when I felt sick (which was often!) I was diagnosed with a hernia that Feb when feeling amazingly strong. And that was it till now.

Intended Log format
    Much like Lumen, for the purposes of legibility I will edit each weeks training into one post. I will wander at length as I record weather, sentiments and cold hard fact. It will prob help me to set out my ambitions for the week in print to show my failings!
    Plan
    I've been working on some fitness for a wee while now. Some running and plenty of core work. As my log name in A/R/T acknowledged, this is a cold start. I've done nothing in well north of 5 years. Nothing.

I've recently done a few intermittent weekend spins, and have hopped up on the turbo occasionally as well. Jogging has come on a bit, but I've been told I can't. Those log entries will be edited in beneath.

I hope to get lactate threshold tested as soon as there's the fitness to test. I will couple that feedback with Joe Friels gym plan to develop my strength. I'm late starting, so the first weekend in March will not see me strip off the tights in an open race, but we'll see where I get.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

3-11-09

5k jog. 23 minutes.

8-11-09
    Jog 4.7K- 23 minutes.

Pre breakfast, and with more than my share of a bottle of vino last night.

stopped to walk twice. Struggle tbh.

Lower calves in some pain now, and were a little stiff from Tuesdays exertions as it was.

10-11-09
    Jog 4.8k 21' 30"

felt better about it as well. A little cocky halfway when I decided to up tempo over a bridge which took a few mins to feel comfortable after.

Achilles issue prompted rest

26-11-09
    turbo session - 15 mins

30-11-09
    turbo session - 20 mins

01-12-09

physio session on my calf /achilles - no big deal, but it had been rested from jogging since the 10th.

4.8K run - 20mins 20 seconds. Pace felt good at start, then I slowed unsure of myself, with a half K to go I realised I'd left some behind me.

Flared up my cough a little too.

This was my first back to back exercise session, and I had been aware of my cycle yesterday through the day, so happy enough with myself.

above right ankle to the sides (especially inside) at me a little during jog.

03-12-09
    jog 7.2KM

31mins 24 secs.

Fairly stoked with that.

First time running that distance, so very deliberately took it easy. Feeling paranoid about little twinges - left quad felt funny. Stomach a little dicky. Above right ankle again at me, but not as conscious of it today.

Reasonably comfortable with the distance, and was stunned by the time tbh. I had been thinking sub 35 to myself, and kept telling myself that I needed to finish the distance first and foremost.

06-12-09
    25 mile bike ride - 1hr 30.

Buffeted by wind a little. More power than last time I was on a bike. Felt fairly good. Endurance not an issue

09-12-09

jog 8.7K and a real plod. No spark at all.

Real step up in distance and I'm feeling it now an hour or two later. Bloody calves. Also of issue was my right ankle again, or rather the support just above it. Gait analysis might be appropriate, even though I had been thinking to myself that HTFU might be more in order.

Time 39mins 37. Which once again came as a pleasant surprise given the real slow pace.

First out and back session, which was something of a struggle mentally, knowing I was covering distance which was only extending the journey home.

Physio scheduled for tomorrow. Up for discussion is the numbness down my left leg, ongoing neck issues and a generally poor back (which did make itself known this evening a little bit) Based on that list, it may not be my only visit!

14-12-09
    turbo session - 25 mins

tonight, turbo. 5 mins. Just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I only ever used the turbo for threshold training in my past life. That was a strict diet of HRM monitoring and counting down the seconds.
    Without a specific goal or even a HRM to gauge what I'm doing it's heartbreaking stuff mentally.

I'm hoping for a HRM over xmas. Otherwise the sales will be hit hard for a HRM which is bike focused but prob one that will allow me monitor jogging as well (triathlon thoughts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Uberwolf. Very best of luck. I stopped playing rugby for a a few reasons but I have always regretted it.
    So I think I have some context for where you maybe coming from. Hopefully you will be back racing shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

What weight are you OP?

same as my racing weight! albeit that my thighs are half the size they once were! 74kg and 6' 1".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Just a suggestion but I had/have back and shoulder trouble from time to time, usually because I tend to neglect to do a few core sessions during the week. I found pilates classes to be of benifit along with becoming more disciplined with my core and stretching. hope I'm being helpful and best of luck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Some impressive stats from the past uberwolf so will be watching you! Best of luck

well this has proved to be a steaming pile of dung. Between the weather and finally relenting and taking a course of antibiotics for a bug which I've had for a month my planned burst over Christmas didn't happen. Big plans were made.

Week from 16th - 24th of Jan.

Sat 16th, the Mockler - el tonto grudge match - total of c. 50K for me I think. Easier than had been intended. The wait at the top of howth meant it was a shorter spin.
    TBH, I'm only acclimatising to being back in the saddle.

Thurs - 21st. Joined the gym. My broad theory is to follow Joe Friels weights program, with a little more upper body than he has. And more core.

First day in there, and I hurt for days afterwards.
    After some cardio warm up
    Leg Press - 110kg 3*10
    Bench - 60kg 3*10
    Leg Curl - ??KG 3*15
    Low Row - 50KG 3*10
    Shoulder raises - 50KG 3*10
    Some Dumbbell work and some core

Sun 24th - regrettably no bike, last night went on a little later and a little heavier than intended.
    Gym instead
    a bit more cardio than Thurs.
    Then
    Core work
    Leg press - 80KG - 3*15
    Calf extensions - 80KG 3*10
    Bench - 40KG - 2*10
    Low Row - 40KG 2*10
    Some dumbbell work.

dropped of the weight to continue recovery from Thurs, and just adapt the body to the idea.

26/01/2010

Core work (plank, etc)
    Leg Press - 100kg 3*15
    Bench - 40kg 3*10
    Low Row - 40KG 3*10
    Shoulder raises - 40KG 2*7, 30KG 1*10
    Chest Press - 40KG 3*10 - too heavy for me though
    Lunges - 2*10 with just the bar on my back
    Squats - own body weight, 3*10 with weights propping up my ankles
    Bicep Curls - 10KG 3*10
    some neck stretching work - as prescribed by physio

Plan for week - weights again on Thurs
    Turbo Trainer - 15 mins wednesday
    Saturday - walk - prescribed by GF
    Sunday - Spin - depending on Saturday night - 2 1/2 hrs targeted

Wed 27/01/2010
    Turbo - 30Mins was over tempo pace for the most part

Thurs 28/01/2010
    Core Work
    Neck work
    Chest Press - 30KG 10*3 - still tough
    Low Row - 30KG 10* 40KG 1*10
    Leg Press - 120KG 3*15
    Shoulder Raise - 30KG 3*10
    Leg Curl 50KG 3*10
    Lunges 2*10 with empty bar

Sat 30/01/2010
    3 hr hike

Sun 31/01/2010
    52 mins on the turbo - frosty out!

First full weeks training. Frustrated by not getting a decent length spin in, but happy otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The structured gym work is impressive, but is there a reason you're avoiding the bike so much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Lumen wrote: »
    The structured gym work is impressive, but is there a reason you're avoiding the bike so much?

I noticed the lack of bike-work also. Surely some longer or more turbo sessions would be as beneficial, if not better than gym work?

Lumen wrote: »
    I noticed the lack of bike-work also. Surely some longer or more turbo sessions would be as beneficial, if not better than gym work?

Cardio work in general - fairly glaring isn't it!

My excuses - turbo work - deadly boring, and without a HRM or fitness to protect the motivation is v.difficult. I'm trying to nurse myself back in to this, and turbo could be counterproductive.

Re: weekends - still trying to train myself into the idea that this is a weekly affair. I'm fairly active at weekend days socially.

tried to remedy this today somewhat

Week starting 01/02/2010

Happy with last week, but need to start putting decent miles in

The week ahead - 2 weights sessions, 1 turbo session and 1 LSD.

as before, I will edit my sessions into this post.

01/02/2010
    Core Work
    Neck work
    Chest Press - 30KG 10*3
    Low Row - 40KG 3*10
    Leg Press - 120KG 3*15
    Lunges Body Weight 2*10
    Squats Body Weight 3*10

Left gym a little unsatisfied. Twas full though, and wasn't going to queue

03/02/2010
    Core Work
    Neck work
    Chest Press - 30KG 10*3
    Low Row - 40KG 2*10 45KG 1*10
    Leg Press - 120KG 3*15
    Lunges Body Weight 2*10
    Squats Body Weight 3*15
    pull ups

good energy levels

06/02/2010

75KM in 2hrs 45
    Struggle at first, thought I was turning back after 15 minutes with cold. Stopped for a few minutes, very agitated feeling. HTFU and then was fine thereafter. The thought of penning this log without having done an LSD was a motivating factor :p
    Had been concerned about my endurance the previous evening. Muscles were fine, neck/back ok. Felt good after an 1hr 30, but for some reason felt I had done way more time at that point. More of the same please.

as above did what amounts to my first LSD in ten years yesterday. 2hr 45mins. Had been concerned about the endurance. Now I have no idea what to do. Keep at this distance/time for a few weeks/months? build up slowly and surely? I have effectively no miles in my legs, and ambitions for the year are very sketchy at the mo.

plan for week - 2* gym sessions, and if bike is back from shop, LSD on Sunday.

gym tonight

08/02/2010
    Core work - better endurance on some of them
    Lunges - 2*10 with empty bar
    Chest press - 30KG 3*10
    Leg Press - 120KG 3*15
    Shoulder Press 40KG 1*10 30KG 2*10
    Low Row 60KG 3*10
    Some bicep curls

09/02/2010
    Physio
    10/02/2010
    Core work
    Lunges - 10KG 2*10
    Squats - 10KG 2*15
    Chest press - 30KG 1*10 40KG 1*10
    Leg Press - 120KG 3*15
    Shoulder Press 30KG 3*10
    Low Row 50KG 3*10

14/02/2010
    Bike not back from shop, so ran for cardio today.

10KM in 46 minutes. Feeling it over right ankle on the inside. Will also have blistered my feet. First run in some months, so time is ok in that context.
    Some core work in gym
    Bench press - 3*40KG

season goals...

well I've called it a season. and that means racing. I raced within 8 weeks of taking up mountain biking. It was a 5 series race. I placed 5th, 2nd, 1st, 2nd and 5th and I won overall. And ever since I've identified my cycling with racing.

road racing kind of fell out of training to race the MTB. MTB was fun, beating people was fun on the road bike, and so I think I need the MTB to rediscover the fun in the absence of fitness.

I've been looking into adventure racing.
    http://www.sleepmonsters.com/calendar.php?event_id=7709 looks the business.
    Diamond quest in June looks fun as well

I was thinking of splicing in the XC series as well. I'm going to try and develop a calendar for myself. That was one mistake I made as a roadie. Race every weekend. Not bright.

Plan for week - 2 gym sessions, a run Thursday 7km kinda distance, and if I have my bike back I'll go for spin Sunday Morning 3hr. If not, another jog.

15/02/2010

Core Work
    Neck work
    Chest Press - 40KG 10*3
    Low Row - 50KG 3*10
    Leg Press - 120KG 3*15
    Shoulder Raise - 30KG 2*10 35KG 1*10
    Lunges 20KG 2*10
    Squats 20KG 2*10
    Bicep Curls 20KG 1*10

this has not been a good week. Missed a gym session, and the huge blisters on my feet from last weeks run whilst not sore prevented me from going on one this week.

My bike is still hors de combat, and I do not know when it will be back to me.

Still pondering my ambitions for the year ahead. I've a week left to get the C2W paperwork in, or wait till next year. And that is my only means of buying a MTB. The pics of ballinstoe from today look like great fun! But I'm still trying to figure out if I'm just distracting from the main issue (fitness) by buying a MTB.

I will have my bike back this week. Which is good news. I also expect to have a Garmin Edge 500 ordered before the week is out.
    The goal becomes, 2*gym session. 1*turbo. 1*LSD.

22/02/2010
    Planned Gym Session

Actual:
    Core Work
    Neck work
    Low Row - 50KG 3*10
    Leg Press - 120KG 3*15
    Shoulder Raise - 30KG 1*10 35KG 2*10
    Lunges 20KG 2*10, Squats 20KG 2*10I put the bar over my back, and did a set of squats and straight through into the lunges. Tough work.
    Bench Press.

23/02/2010
    planned - physio
    24/02/2010
    Planned - turbo - steady pace

Actual - Gym
    Core Work
    Neck work
    Low Row - 55KG 3*10
    Leg Press - 120KG 3*15
    Shoulder Raise - 40KG 3*10
    Chest Press - 45KG 3*10
    Lunges 20KG 2*10, Squats 20KG 2*10

all of the above was fine. A little tired this afternoon before it. Circumstance has dictated that I will prob not get up on the turbo tomorrow evening.

25/02/2010
    Planned - Gym
    Actual - nothing

27/02/2010
    Planned - 3hr LSD
    actual - 36KM in 1hr 20 mins to make up for the missed turbo session during the week, with the intention of doing a longer spin tomorrow. Pushing a reasonable pace, spinning the gears though. This was probably slightly over LSD pace, and I could feel a slight twinge from my right knee, which I've been aware of a for a few weeks.

28/02/2010
    Planned - nothing

Actual - 3hr LSD - actual time out 3hrs 20 mins, of which 2hrs 41 were on the move, 70KM covered, avrg 26KPH. Cold enough, funny tweak behind right knee for a period. Spinning the gears just fine.

• Advertisement

Idle ramblings.

Good week behind me. Twice on bike, two gym sessions. Tired this evening, but no more than you'd expect. Back to back cycles for the first time in many years. First time in a group for years. These are all positives.

My cornering is very nervous. It was never great, but it's awful at the moment.

Two points - he has a new section (brief) on novices, and what they should be focusing on - The bike unsurprisingly! He recommends no weights. But given the section also covers items such as riding in groups, so I'm inclined to think that as someone returning to the bike, it's not altogether relevant. The weights aren't exclusively for cycling, and are something of a lifestyle decision as well, so they stay.

I'm inclined to get back in touch with my old coach and effectively summarise this thread. Explain my goal of achieving good fitness - to the point where I can undertake an s4 race and hang around. Also explain that I'm concerned about building one of Joe Friels pyramids on no base - it won't get high! Maybe I'm getting to caught up in it all, and should just be riding the bike, with a higher intensity turbo session mid week.

I intend getting tested, haven't decided a venue for that yet.

Re: a post above, I will not own a MTB this year. So XC racing is out, but the odd adventure race is very much on the cards. Still mulling joining a club as well - but that's wandering a slippery slope towards shaved legs, which will not get a good reception!

HRM en route, so that forms the main objective for the week - do a bit of acclimatisation with it. It always took a few spins to get good control of the HR and to really be able to drill within a tight range.

This was especially true of threshold work, where by the first session at 175-180bpm was just a struggle to get the HR there and it oscillated wildly. Second session would see those first few minutes ok, and then the stretch target would be tough work. Bit by bit it came together, and I was always really encouraged by being able to track progress so clearly.

To that end my LSD will be shorter than last week, with a view to focusing on HR control rather than distance. And the turbo will get a spin with a brief visit to threshold.

So the week ahead is

Tuesday 2nd
    planned gym session

actual -
    Core Work
    Neck work
    Low Row - 50KG 3*10
    Leg Press - 120KG 3*15
    Bench Press - 50KG 1*10, 45KG 1*10, 2*5
    Bench Press.

Wednesday 3rd
    planned turbo - warm up, 5mins 145-155, 3 mins 170-180, 2 mins chill, 5 mins 145-155, 3 mins 170-180, cool down

actual - as above.
    Twas grand, certainly feeling the gym from last night, and whether I could have stretched out the times I'm not sure - probably. Bounced around in the zones a wee bit, and there was very little power there at either heart rate. Baby steps...

Thurs 4th
    planned Gym or rest day
    actual - mild hangover.

Sat 6th

a bit of a tricky one scheduling wise.
    planned - Depending, 90 or 120 mins at LSD
    actual - 90 mins targeting 145-155 bpm range. Reasonable enough, amused that the tempo I had been setting was in the right range anyway. Thousands of miles haven't been forgotten that easily I suppose. End of spin coincided with built up traffic, so wasn't sure whether difficulty maintaining HR was down to that, or just the limit of my fitness.
    Right knee still a little tickly.
    Sun 7th
    planned - depending on the night before, 120 mins at LSD.
    actual - nothing. :(

thoughts. Going to push the threshold work out a little. Extending the times to a reasonable point. Also LSD out to three hours of HR guided spin.

Monday 8th
    Planned-Gym
    Actual - Gym
    Core Work
    Neck work
    Low Row - 55KG 3*10
    Leg Press - 120KG 3*15
    Bench Press - 50KG 3*10

Tuesday 9th
    Planned-Turbo
    2*5 minutes at lactate threshold
    actual - as above. Toughish to get the HR up, real plod and no zip in the legs - really feels like I've no power there. Which I probably don't!!!!

I suppose the nature of the turbo makes it more likely to be a grind of the gears then at a cadence of 100
    Wednesday 10th
    Planned-Gym
    Actual - Gym
    Core Work
    Neck work
    Low Row - 60KG 3*10
    Leg Press - 140KG 3*15
    Bench Press - 45KG 2*10 50KG1*10
    Lunges 15KG 2*10,
    Squats 40KG 1*10, 70KG 1*10

into the squat rack for the first time in a long time. Stupidly forgot to observe some form first before sticking 70KG on my shoulders. Felt that. Dropped to zero for 10 first.
    Saturday 13th
    Planned-LSD-3hrs
    Actual - 62km in 2hrs 20 mins
    HR targetted reasonably well in the zone. Last weeks concerns about maintaining HR abated somewhat, able to push the whole way around. Discomfort behind right knee continues.
    Sunday 14th
    Planned-Dunno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Have a turbo with resistance settings, found that a lower setting for the same HR allows a higher cadence. Changing from 10 to 7 increased my cadence from 88 to 95 overnight

Tuesday 16th
    Planned - Gym
    Actual - Gym
    Core Work
    Neck work
    Low Row - 55KG 3*10
    Leg Press - 140KG 3*15
    Shoulder Raise - 45KG 3*10
    Bench Press - 55KG 1*8, 50KG 1*10, 1*8
    Wednesday 17th
    Planned - 3hrs
    actual - nowt. And sitting here wednesday morning, I'm not sorry. Body is tired.

Thursday 18th
    Planned - 2*5mins @ threshold
    Actual - 2*7.5mins @ 170-180bpm (threshold)

exceeded plan. Reasonably comfortable.
    Saturday 20th
    Planned - 3hrs
    Actual - Nowt
    Sunday 21st
    not sure

I've come a long way in 5 weeks. But a rest week may be in order at this stage

not one for the ages last week. The theory of two long sessions got knocked on the head. Wednesday I just felt tired the previous evening, and then Saturday a hangover. But I'm not too disappointed, slowly slowly within reason.

But some of this has had me thinking about guidance / coaching and the merits of getting a steer from someone*.

Broadly speaking it's a simple strategy, build up less than 10% a week in the long session, steady eddie in the other sessions, and remember to build in rest weeks.

This will require a more medium term out look than I've afforded myself to date. And without committing myself to a goal yet, it's all a little too serious, and not enough 'fun'.

*I'm going to bump the online coaching pricing thread to get some feedback. Big bucks.

Monday 22nd
    Planned - 2 * 7.5 mins at threshold
    Actual - 2*10 mins at threshold
    plenty more in the tank there too. It's not comfortable, but it is sustainable
    Tuesday 23rd
    Planned - Gym
    Actual - Gym
    Core work
    Neck work
    Chest Press - 50KG 3*10
    Leg Press - 130KG 3*15
    Low Row - 60KG - 3*10
    Squat - Free Rack - 30KG on bar - 3*10
    Lunges - 40KG 1*10 24KG 1*10 (Dumbbells)
    Bicep Curls - 24KG - 2*10
    Thursday 25th
    Planned - Gym maybe
    Actual - Gym
    Core work
    Neck work
    Chest Press - 50KG 3*10
    Leg Press - 130KG 3*15
    Low Row - 60KG - 3*10
    Shoulder Press - 40KG 3*10
    Squat - Free Rack - 40KG on bar - 3*10
    Lunges - 24KG 2*10 (Dumbbells)
    Bicep Curls - 24KG - 2*10
    Saturday 27th
    Planned - spin -3hr
    Actual - something came up
    Sunday 28th
    Planned - hangover
    Actual - hangover and 2hr 10 min spin over rolling roads. Tough enough, and HR graph reflects it, but was grand.

longer time plan, due to long weekend throwing up more opportunity to take the machine out. As I go through it, I realise I'm only making this up. I feel like I'm gearing up to racing, certainly Sunday saw some big ring work and comfortable spinning up the hills (albeit I'm sure power output wasn't great). I'm considering testing, to establish a base, and for them to refine an outline training plan for me

edit: based on long term forecast, I may swap Saturday and Sunday, given how much nicer Sunday looks

Tuesday 30th
    Planned - Gym
    Actual - Gym
    Leg Press - 130KG 3*15
    Core work
    neck work
    Chest Press - 50KG 3*10
    Low Row - 60KG 3*10
    Free Squat - 40KG 2*10, 50KG 1*10
    Lunges - 24KG 2*10
    Dumbbell work
    Thursday 1st
    Planned - Gym
    Actual - Gym
    Leg Press - 130KG 3*15
    Core work
    neck work
    Chest Press - 50KG 3*10
    Low Row - 60KG 3*10
    Free Squat - 40KG 2*10, 50KG 1*10
    Dumbbell work
    3K jog - with bag on back
    Friday 2nd
    Planned -Spin - 2hrs, with 2*10min tempo slots
    Actual - 2*10 minute 170-180bpm
    Slightly tweaky left knee post gym yesterday, so wanted the option of stopping quickly. Comfortable, but not enjoyable, and if anything the knee is slightly better afterwards
    Saturday 3rd
    Planned - Spin - 3hrs
    Sunday 4th
    planned - maybe easy spin
    Monday 5th
    Planned - 1hr 30, incl 2*10min tempo
    Tuesday 6th
    Rest
    Wednesday 7th
    Planned - Gym
    Thursday 8th
    Friday 9th
    Saturday 10th
    Planned 2hr 30min spin
    Sunday 11th

:(

lazy weekend followed by week off due to a neck problem.

• Advertisement

/hops back on wagon.

it would be fair to say targets over the easter weekend were not met. :o

tried to get back going this week

Monday
    Gym
    Leg Press - 130KG 3*15
    Core work
    neck work
    Chest Press - 50KG 3*10
    Low Row - 50KG 3*10
    Free Squat - 40KG 1*10, 50KG 1*10, 60KG1*10
    Dumbbell work
    Lunges with 28KG dumbbell.

Friday
    Leg Press - 120KG 2*15, 140KG 1*15
    Core work
    neck work
    Chest Press - 50KG 1*10, 55KG 1*7, 60KG 1*5, 65KG1*3
    Low Row - 60KG 3*10
    Shoulder Press - 40KG 1*10, 50KG 1*7
    Free Squat - 40KG 1*10, 60KG 1*10
    Dumbbell work

Saturday
    111122.jpg
    Bumpy 89KM in 3hrs 25mins.

nice day for it, but reasonably tough spin around the lakes and over Ballinscorney. 26KPH and not really a targetted HR session, which might have been a better idea.

I've 12 weeks of gym work in me. Friel calls for up to 10 weeks in this adaptive phase which I've largely been following. In some respect this would be part pre season, part LSD in the typical training year.

He now calls for maximum strength, low rep heavy weights phase of some 4 weeks. In times gone by this would have coincided with a strong period of long miles and have facilitated a step up in mileage.

I do not have the miles in my legs, nor indeed the consistency of effort to warrant doing this.

Coming from the other direction, going over a substantial climb at the weekend I reached 194bpm. It was comfortable in one sense - I wasn't going to fall of sideways. But I didn't have the capacity to go any harder. Previous recorded max was 206bpm. It does underscore the strong prospect that my HR 'zones' have changed beyond recognition.

the two factors once again underscore the advantage of going for testing.

Tuesday
    Planned Gym
    Actual Gym
    Core Work
    Chest Press 10*55KG, 7*60KG, 5*65KG, 3*70KG
    Leg Press 140KG 3*15
    Low Row 60KG 3*10
    Shoulder Press 40KG 1*10 50KG 2*10
    Squats 60KG 3*10
    Dumbbell work
    Lunges 24KG 2*10

squats - coming along nicely, back strength is part of the rationale for doing these in the free rack, and that is certainly coming along based on my comfort.

Thursday
    planned - bike
    likely to swing by the Phoenix Park for 90mins, to incl 2 elevated HR sessions @170-180bpm

actual - ugh. not 5 minutes on the bike on a pleasant spring evening and snap goes a spoke. Got home, swapped wheels and up on the turbo 2*10mins at 170-180bpm. Not a pleasant experience either tbh - didn't feel great doing it

Friday
    planned - gym
    Weekend
    planned - spin - 3.5hrs - find some gradient again
    actual - as above - 85KM. Glencree, Sallygap. Everytime the gradient turned beyond a modest gradient, I was struggling. It's supposed to be hard, but there's no spark at all. Getting a nice spin up when I can stay in the saddle on kinder gradient, and that feels fine from a fitness perspective, but anything beyond it and the legs are dead. Can't expect too much so soon, but it's easier said than done - especially when you're struggling

I've entered a race.

Procrastinate no more :D

duathlon in the park next week. Doesn't really count, but it'll get the juices going again.

Only for the commitment of shaving my legs I'd be happy enough to ride A4 at this point as well

Monday 26th
    planned - gym
    actual - gym
    not as good a session as it might have been - a little ill over the weekend which may have taken the edge off things

core work
    neck work
    chest press - 55kg*10, 60kg*7, 65kg*5, 70kg*1
    leg press - 140kg 3*15
    low row - 60KG 3*10
    shoulder press - 40kg 3*10
    squat- 60kg 2*10 - back struggled with it a little so stopped
    some dumbbell work

neglected to do my lunges

Wednesday - 28th
    planned - gym

Thursday - 29th
    planned - spin - 2hr or so

there'll be nothing over the weekend

to put it mildly the weekend was counter productive to athletic ambitions :P

Wednesday sees me in a duathlon, with no idea about pacing myself and some concerns re: footwear.

Footwear - cycling shoes, clipped into bike or no for the transition? transition walk only?
    runners - any point in these elastic style laces?

will prob try and squeeze in a gym session and a long weekend spin as well

• Advertisement

uberwolf wrote: »
    Wednesday sees me in a duathlon, with no idea about pacing myself and some concerns re: footwear.

Footwear - cycling shoes, clipped into bike or no for the transition? transition walk only?
    runners - any point in these elastic style laces?

Elastic laces are worth getting.

Cycling shoe wise, in my very limited experience you're best off with MTB shoes and pedals if you have them. You can run out of transition then do a running remount. You won't look very pro, but it's only a novelty race anyway.

If you're going with the whole elastic-band-round-the-clipped-in-pedal lark, make sure you practice, a lot, preferably at 180bpm. I fecked it up and spent most of a lap trying to fix a flap of bent over heel.

well, I'll do it again!

sub 47 mins timewise.

struggled with the second run, and lost a place during it.

Not having run since the 8th of Feb (3 months!) my times were respectable.

a little bit of a lapse. Somewhat in training, but not as much as posting!!

No TT sessions. Once a week in the gym and last weekend saw me break 100K over glencree, sally gap and glenmacnaoise before turning for home.

Circumstances and a level of laziness saw no more happening.

The week ahead.

Spin: Sat - 3hrs probable, but from a more southern starting point should see me get some hills in.

Sun - maybe a run (need to get one in before the duathlon!)

Gym - Mon

Fri - the long threatened lactate threshold test. Drum roll please.

I'm trying to piece this together, due to less than ideal training levels.

22/05 - 70km over some very bumpy land. 3hrs, taking in Djouce and on up into the Rocky Valley. Again not paying much attn to HR, so pleasantly surprised to see avrg HR was bang in the middle of the right zone. Felt tough through out, but had some strength finishing.

had been a little sick, also had some mechanical issues. These conspired to cause a weekend off. again.

03/06 - Got out for 70km on Thursday evening. 2hrs 20 mins over flat territory, but a good average speed and comfortable. Tired afterwards, but fine through out.

Lactate test was postponed due to illness.

Physio was happy enough with a low lying knee issue which has been niggling for a few months with a few flare ups. 'Train through it' was what I wanted to hear. And I did.

Hoping to get out tomorrow for c. 2hrs and Sat morning for a decent run.

I have also joined a club, and will be appearing at a club league race near you soon. ;)

These races will be an exercise in acknowledging race speed and adapting a wee bit.

Medium term aspirations are now to race weekly through till mid august or so and continue on the base build.

uberwolf wrote: »
    Lactate test was postponed due to illness.

Gaaah, anticlimax!

• Advertisement

Can we get race reports.
    I really enjoy reading race reports. So much so I am (foolishly) contemplating entering a race in late season and have been inspired to race next season.
    Best of luck in the comeback.

@ Lumen - test now scheduled for later this month, will publish what are likely to be pretty appalling results.

@ROK ON - within reason, I'm not keen on being identifiable to non boardsies.

10/06 - got it into my head to do hill repeats. 4 times up a 950metre climb, steep at the start before moderating to a slight drag.

Speed didn't vary even if the manner of attack did. Not partic comfortable. Stomach hadn't been great today, and gulping down liquid between sets didn't aid the cause.

Still though, wanted to sharpen up a little before the test, so may repeat next week.

12/06 - planning a 4hr spin of some nature.

so the 12/06 became the 15/06 and a 65k spin complete with a 10 minute jaunt at 180bpm. Even this was hampered by a later than intended finish to work

my continuing knee niggles were apparent at that higher hr. Spin was ok, not great tbh.

Race - Thurs.

Best of lu k.

So I went up.

not sure if I was going to race
    doubts about whether I had the miles to even get there and back having raced

Plumped for the limit group which went off at a comfortable pace. Having done fewer than 5 miles in the big ring during this 'come back' I felt reasonably entitled to sit on the back and just adjust to the speed.

Halfway through the first lap I found myself on the front despite my intentions, and whilst I certainly didn't do my share, I spent a reasonable amount of time up there. By lap 3 I was struggling on the small climbs, but didn't have to bury myself to stay in touch.

Final lap out on the main road, two from the further back the road came up to us, and organised the up and over very promptly. I did a few turns at a pretty decent rate of knots, and within 2 miles of the finish we were caught. At that point I was spent, and without a long way to go I made an effort to keep the elastic but it snapped and I trailed in a little back. Had I not done those last turns, I certainly would have come in with the bunch.

as per the duathlon, my stomach is a little ticky now and I am tired. The entire spin amounts to pretty much the second longest in a few years at just shy of 90km.

stats for race. 1hr 12 mins. Avrg speed 36.7 km/h which is about right given stretches of work not happening, and some poor surfacing.
    avrg HR for that time is 174bpm.

I'll tell you how I feel about it in the morning :cool:

56km in 2hrs, nice gentle spin. Perfectly fresh after it, although it would be fair to say there was no spark in the legs at all

Marked a few firsts - third spin in 5 days. First time I've seen the HR below 100 on the bike in a long time! Which suggests tiredness or improving fitness...

no matter, other than a lactate threshold test hopefully scheduled for this week I have an enforced 2 weeks off now.

Advertisement