Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best petrol engine?

• 15-12-2009 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

What is the best petrol engine out there today ranging in size between 1.4 and 1.8?

something thats been around for a few years too would be better:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Honda Vtec engine. 1.5,1.6,1.8. Powerful & economical. Lovely little snarl off em as well when you push past around 5600rpm.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Lets face it, it's gonna turn out to be a Fiat or a BMW.

Honda civic 1.6 vti. 158bhp. 0 to 60mph around 7ish secs. 35mpg. 100bhp per litre! Bulletproof ;)

I invite anyone to suggest a comparable or more powerful engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

IMO the VAG 1.8T 20v would be a contender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

squod wrote: »
    Lets face it, it's gonna turn out to be a Fiat or a BMW.

:confused: BMW have won many awards for their 6, 8 and 10 cylinder engines over the years but none of them have been for their entry level 4 cylinder petrol engines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

This is a possible contender but is fairly recent. Although the engine is not twin turbo as the article states - it's a twin scroll turbocharger principally to eliminate lag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

homer90 wrote: »
    IMO the VAG 1.8T 20v would be a contender

I agree the 20vT is one of the best petrol engines of the last 10 years unfortunately not every car it was bolted into got the best out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote: »
    :confused: BMW have won many awards for their 6, 8 and 10 cylinder engines over the years but none of them have been for their entry level 4 cylinder petrol engines.

BMW won this year in the 1.4-1.8l category ;)

And in 2008 and in 2007 and 2003 and 2001. But granted they won it a lot more often for their bigger engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

K20 the fuck out of whatever you plan on doing OP.

batperson wrote: »
    What is the best petrol engine out there today ranging in size between 1.4 and 1.8?

something thats been around for a few years too would be better:D

Think he means not a new engine. Thats cheating!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

1.4 multiair engine in the MiTo might be a contender soon enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote: »
    BMW won this year in the 1.4-1.8l category ;)

And in 2008 and in 2007 and 2003 and 2001. But granted they won it a lot more often for their bigger engines.

Were they co-designed with Peugeot?

Honda's vtec car engines go all the way back to 1989!!! :D
    Talk about being way ahead of its time. No turbos, just good old Jap engineering.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Honda's vtec car engines go all the way back to 1989!!! :D
    Talk about being way ahead of its time. No turbos, just good old Jap engineering.;)
    Seems only me and you know the secret ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

Tragedy wrote: »
    1.4 multiair engine in the MiTo might be a contender soon enough!

And the Punto Evo. I'd love it if santa brought one of either with the 135bhp 1.4.

Does it really use completely electro-hydraulic valves? Sounds unlikely to me.

Seems only me and you know the secret ;)
    :D :DI know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yup, it was a joint BMW-PSA effort. Same engine used in the 207 GT/GTi and Cooper S.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Honda civic 1.6 vti. 158bhp. 0 to 60mph around 7ish secs. 35mpg. 100bhp per litre! Bulletproof ;)

toyotas 4AGE twin camshaft 1.6 , ITS MUCH THE SAME THOUGH, there both bulletproof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Older 1.4-1.8... there can be only one: B18C Spec R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Had a little go of my friends 87' 1.6 205gti the other evening and I was very impressed with the engine in it, I'm sure it's rubbish to todays standards though but the engine had really great pickup for a 1.6, cracking drive altogether!

I'd probably have to go with Honda Vtec engines, even though I don't fancy Hondas but the engines ya can't argue with them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

I'd go japanese anyway.. vtec is tough to beat alright and i'm a bmw fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

The vag 1.8 20v turbo gets my vote, that's because there is one in my car :p
    230bhp, 40mpg if you drive easy and bulletproof once serviced.

The sky is the limit on them tuning wise, on standard internals they can handle 350bhp :cool:

Officially yes that's the summary ;)

Or rather co-designed with BMW.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Or rather co-designed with BMW.

Attached is the official press release from PSA. You can make your own mind up ;)

Warning: lots of details in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Attached is the official press release from PSA. You can make your own mind up ;)

Japanese and Korean manufacturers will read this and produce the same thing in another five years, then call it something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

It's 96cc's over what the op's looking for but BMW's 1.9litre M44 engine gets my vote! 138bhp and 40mpg - and I don't have to wait for a v-tec to kick in.

The valvetronic N43 engine is close second, but only because I can't afford a car with one in it yet!

squod wrote: »
    Japanese and Korean manufacturers will read this and produce the same thing in another five years, then call it something else.

You mean kind of like the way Bmw, mitsubishi, nissan, toyota & porsche all went on to copy honda's vtec system with their own variation of the original idea but slightly different to avoid patent laws.;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Mazda's Renesis rotary engine in the RX8 seems pretty hard to beat, 231bhp and revs to 9k+. Not bad for a 1.3. Albeit not a typical petrol engine.

• Advertisement

argosy2006 wrote: »
    toyotas 4AGE twin camshaft 1.6 , ITS MUCH THE SAME THOUGH, there both bulletproof

Would it get 35mpg?

stevenmu wrote: »
    Mazda's Renesis rotary engine in the RX8 seems pretty hard to beat, 231bhp and revs to 9k+. Not bad for a 1.3. Albeit not a typical petrol engine.

The rate at which those things drink oil knocks it out of the running for any 'Best engine' category,just my 2 cents.

You mean kind of like the way Bmw, mitsubishi, nissan, toyota & porsche all went on to copy honda's vtec system with their own variation of the original idea but slightly different to avoid patent laws.;)

Fiat had a variable valve control system in the 60/70's

Fiat had a variable valve control system in the 60/70's

Yeah but the dual profiled camshaft in the vtec system is unique.

We could get into a long winded discussion about who's contributed what to variable valve timing, every manufacturer has their own ideas, pro's and con's. Honda still worked on and changed an idea that had been around for a long time before they introduced it into their cars, they didn't invent the concept of vvt.

The same goes for Fiat.

Oh dear :)

• Advertisement

We could get into a long winded discussion about who's contributed what to variable valve timing, every manufacturer has their own ideas, pro's and con's. Honda still worked on and changed an idea that had been around for a long time before they introduced it into their cars, they didn't invent the concept of vvt.

The same goes for Fiat.

Yup i agree with you but lets be honest honda's vtec system actually worked. Fiats system obviously had some sort of problem if it was discontinued? I dont know?
    But the fact remains the rest of the car makers i mentioned only took notice of this technology after honda got involved.

Before anyone thinks im a honda nut, i own a Toyota.:D

btw.....according to wikipedia Alfa Romeo where the first to use vvt in a production car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

surprised no-one's mentioned those turbocharged formula1 engines that were about back in the day, I'd imagine there's one or two knocking about still. 1500+PS according to Alain Prost

probably wouldn't get the auld hundred thousand mile warranty though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Shires wrote: »
    Does it really use completely electro-hydraulic valves? Sounds unlikely to me.

There's still a SOHC in the engine. Only the intake valves have the electro-hydraulic yokes between the camshaft and the valves, the exhaust valves operate normally. AFAIK this means the intake valves will still work if the hydraulics break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

Surprised nobody has mentioned the vw 1.4l Twincharger. Over 170bhp and been around now since 2006

http://www.ukipme.com/engineoftheyear/winners_09/winner.html

briman1983 wrote: »
    Surprised nobody has mentioned the vw 1.4l Twincharger. Over 170bhp and been around now since 2006

Probably because the are proving not to be a very good engine,several turbo failures already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

My vote goes to the Ford Kent.

First sold in 1959 in the Anglia, then into the Cortina in 1500cc form.

Evolved into the Crossflow, and a 1700cc engine that was capable of pushing out 180/190hp in race tune.

Eventually ended up as a 500hp 1.8 engine in the Group B RS200 (with a different Head).

Last sold in a new car in the old Ka (2003ish I think)

Oh, Ford recently announced that they are making new engine blocks to cope with demand. The result, the same basic engine design in production for 50 years.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 merc998

I have a bmw 330d sport its a great car but bmw are no comparisonb for a jap vtec engine!!!!

Hmm. Less impressive than I was expecting. In fact it's not really impressive at all. Perhaps it won EoTY because of lack of any decent competition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

ianobrien wrote: »
    My vote goes to the Ford Kent.

First sold in 1959 in the Anglia, then into the Cortina in 1500cc form.

Evolved into the Crossflow, and a 1700cc engine that was capable of pushing out 180/190hp in race tune.

Eventually ended up as a 500hp 1.8 engine in the Group B RS200 (with a different Head).

Last sold in a new car in the old Ka (2003ish I think)

Oh, Ford recently announced that they are making new engine blocks to cope with demand. The result, the same basic engine design in production for 50 years.......

The Zetec Rocam engine is an SOHC derivative of the Kent, it is what replaced the Endura-E in the Ka in 2003 and is in several other Fords made in Brazil and South Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

The Zetec Rocam engine is an SOHC derivative of the Kent, it is what replaced the Endura-E in the Ka in 2003 and is in several other Fords made in Brazil and South Africa.

Thanks for that - You learn something new every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭oisin_t

1.8 doch vtech b18b honda engine!

195 bhp! ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

NiSmO wrote: »

Hows the new turbo holding out? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭oisin_t

NiSmO wrote: »

Had mine dynoed about 6 months ago and thats the figure it was putting out. Standard engine unmodified car.

Also depends on where the engine came from. UKDM model is 185bhp USDM is 175. Jap version is 195 bhp

• Advertisement
Advertisement