Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7.6 meg BB running at 3 meg

• 15-12-2009 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I just switched to imagine broadband, 7.6 meg but I am not getting anything like that speed. Downloads never exceed 2 meg or so and it doesn't seem any faster than my old BB. I have been on to Imagine support and they have run various tests all of which are OK. I have the following under the ADSL reading in my router status but I am unsure if anything there could be a problem. Just wondering if anyone with more technical knowledge might be able to enlighten me.

Type G992_1_A
    Modem Status Showtime
    Downstream Upstream

Data Rate(Kbps) 3040 800

Noise Margin 8.0 14.0

Output power 17.6 12.1

Attenuation 45.0 25.5

Thanks
    Mossie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Is it on a wireless connection? If so test it wired and see if that makes a difference. If it does then it's probably interference try switching the wireless channel.

If it makes no difference then it's Imagine's problem. Either they have very high contention ratio (you're connection is shared by so many neighbours it brings your speed down) This is normal but that level of drop is unacceptable in my opinion. Or it could be a faulty modem but that's unlikely if it's working at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Is Your modem plugged into the main socket without a filter, everything else disconnected, sky boxes other phones etc. It looks like 3040k is the max You'll get on that line if You have
    http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

NothingMan wrote: »
    Is it on a wireless connection? If so test it wired and see if that makes a difference. If it does then it's probably interference try switching the wireless channel.

If it makes no difference then it's Imagine's problem. Either they have very high contention ratio (you're connection is shared by so many neighbours it brings your speed down) This is normal but that level of drop is unacceptable in my opinion. Or it could be a faulty modem but that's unlikely if it's working at all.

Thanks. No it's a wired connection, and I've tried two modems, no difference.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Is Your modem plugged into the main socket without a filter, everything else disconnected, sky boxes other phones etc. It looks like 3040k is the max You'll get on that line if You are
    http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx

I've tried it in two sockets, with and without filter nad everything disconnected but nothing changes. All the ISPs tell me my line is tested for 8 meg, and imagine support tell me it must be an internal problem. It's a brand new house only in a few months. The only thing I haven't chaecked is the phone line from the modem to the socket as I don't have a spare and the one in my phone doesn't work in the modem. Could that cause the problem?

thanks.
    Mossie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Plug into the main eircom socket without a filter, everything else in the house disconnected and post your stats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

You're lucky. It's rare to get even close to half od the advertised speed ISPs advertise.
    You'll never dl at 7MB until you're paying for a 50MB connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭aktelmiele

bildo wrote: »
    You're lucky. It's rare to get even close to half od the advertised speed ISPs advertise.

Not true and at the same time true.

What all the telephone ISPs offer is 7Mb connections. Note the case of the "b"

If you have a 7 Mb connection then you should be able to download at 700 kBps.

It is a bit sneaky to use the "Up to" phrase but it is just a charateristic of ADSL that speeds are dependant of distance from the exchange. Personally I was able to able to max out my connection at 7 meg but then made a bit of a mess of my internal wiring so now can still max out the connection at 5 meg. I have also been a friends houses when their PC is broken etc, tested out the line and it is getting the maximum that their line can take.

With the attenuation of the OP's stats it is likely that 3 meg is that max that the line can take. More than likely that that is all that you will be able to acheive. It should sync at a multiple of 1024, which in your case would be 3072. In this case it is likely that there is some sort of internal wiring issue or that there is an unfiltered SKY box, monitored alarm or handset etc.

You could downgrade to a lower speed, assuming you dont need any of the extras like higher download limits as you will save some money :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

bildo wrote: »

I have 10Mb connection with UPC and even at the highest peak usage times, ie. After work I get at least 7Mb and usually between 8 and 9.7Mb.

Be careful with your B, it's actually b. B = Bytes, b = bits. 1Byte = 8bits so a 8Mb connection would let you download 1MB per second.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Plug into the main eircom socket without a filter, everything else in the house disconnected and post your stats

The stats above are from the main socket with everything else off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

'technically' that would be a 3mbit line right now, not enough margin to go any higher. You have been sold a pup....especially if you are over two miles from the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

aktelmiele wrote: »
    If you have a 7 Mb connection then you should be able to download at 700 kBps.

I'd just like to make one minor correction, 7Mbps is not 700kBps, it is 0.875MBps or 875kBps

other then that, OP, i agree with aktelmiele

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just to emphasise your noise margin is pretty dire and if you synced higher this would worsen it and you would probably start getting multiple disconnects.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Your annuation is very high which is why you are having probs getting higher speeds.

These are my stats. I only live 1km from exchange and relatively new wiring. I can get the full 7.6 (in real terms downloads at 700-750kilobytes.)

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 7616 kbps 672 kbps
    Line Attenuation 8.0 db 14.0 db
    Noise Margin 12 db 12.5 db

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mossie wrote: »
    Type G992_1_A
    Modem Status Showtime
    Downstream Upstream

Data Rate(Kbps) 3040 800

Noise Margin 8.0 14.0

Output power 17.6 12.1

Attenuation 45.0 25.5

Thanks
    Mossie

Your SNR margins are crap so your pretty limited and not much your ISP can do either as its a physicakl limitation of the technology,

You should however confirm all your internal wiring is the best it can be and everything is connected right as this "may" improve the margin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's the lowest attenuation I've seen fail to make the 3 mbps speed.

The snr margins are unseemingly low. But the causes for it, once internal wiring is ruled out, are really varied. Also, there's a chance that a different modem may rule that in or out as a problem. Get a lend of a friend/family/neighbour's for a few minutes??

Eircom Wholesale's speedtest yokey is purely based on attenuation I believe. And 7.6 mbps can't be reached on a 45dB line. But they sell it as they really sell it to anyone who can manage 4 mbps or above. 45dB should generally manage 4 mbps at least. The profile is very unusual though, 3040/800?? Normally people would be limited to 4096/512 which would show up as 3040/512. Also, I never heard of a max upstream speed of 800 on eircom wholesale.

Not sure what you can do OP. Fix up your internal wiring and try another modem? The netopias can perform poorly in some situations where other chipsets can deal with the SNR conditions just fine.

7Mbps actually does result in about 740 kBps because of the overheads in the ATM/PPPOE signalling/packeting/error correction etc.

mossie wrote: »
    I've tried it in two sockets, with and without filter nad everything disconnected but nothing changes. All the ISPs tell me my line is tested for 8 meg, and imagine support tell me it must be an internal problem. It's a brand new house only in a few months. The only thing I haven't chaecked is the phone line from the modem to the socket as I don't have a spare and the one in my phone doesn't work in the modem. Could that cause the problem?

thanks.
    Mossie

Just to update on this. A week ago it was running at 2048, after upgrading to 7.6 meg, this week is an improvement. Anyway since last night I tried a new phone cable and the downstream speed increased to 3232 (now 3456). Attenuation dropped marginally to 44.8 but no noticable improvement in performance. I have tried 3 modems, and I have replaced the filters but no major difference. I'll get the internal wiring checked out but it's less than 12 months old so should be no problem. Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Check eircom website go to order bb type in your landline number it will tell you what your line can handle.I was sold 7.6mb bb by another supplier even though all i can get is 3mb.Worth a try company's will sell you package's your line can not handle remember it's sold as up to not as 7.6

dave1982 wrote: »
    Check eircom website go to order bb type in your landline number it will tell you what your line can handle.I was sold 7.6mb bb by another supplier even though all i can get is 3mb.Worth a try company's will sell you package's your line can not handle remember it's sold as up to not as 7.6

Eircoms page offers me 7 meg also

Advertisement