Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation Querie

Options
  • 15-12-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Well lads,
    Quick question, im putting ten downlighters into a flat roof extension on a house, there is good space between ceiling and flat roof so not worried about space in that respect.
    My problem is that they are after finishing the ceiling and the insulation they used is the silverback foil type that is used on walls alot but I've never come across it in a ceiling before. Whenever installing downlighters I always clear away a good bit of space from around the fitting but with this insulation on the finished ceiling and no access as its flat roof I would only be able to cut back so far.
    My main querie is, is this insulation fairly flamable and how far back do I need to try to cut it before its safe to have the lights running. Extension is all first fixed and that too.
    Cheers, Cod

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i assume you mean the 38mm insulated slab?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

Yea that would be about right.

sorry i should have said the 50mm kingspan they use on the slopes.
    had 3 on my job today(out of more than 100) but they're fire-rated led downlights
    don't thinks it's flammable-what lights you using?

Litron downlighters,with the back on them, 64mm cut out.

led or cfl will help.halogen normally needs some clearance.it's the solid insulation-foil both sides right?

• Advertisement

Sorry, more than likely it will be 50watt halogens but I have to show them a few with 50w halogen running, a few cfl and a few 2watt led so thye can decide themselves but they seem to favour the 50w halogen so far from seeing them in other houses etc.
    Its the solid insulation with the foil on both sides yea.

Advertisement