Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi frozen turkey crowns.

Options
  • 15-12-2009 9:38pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭

In their Christmas brochure Aldi are advertising frozen turkey crowns "full of Irish goodness".

I had a look at these in my local Aldi on Sunday and it turns out that they are from Chile (they have the country/producer code CL..).

So beware of this if you thought that you were supporting Irish producers by buying these crowns.

(This isn't a thread about value/buying Irish etc but a thread about mis-representation).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Seen a good one today Wexford 'Irish' cheese with a UK origin stamp on the back.

EDIT: I have been since told that the cheese is manufactured here but sent to the UK to be packed(And shipped back to ROI to be sold) hence the UK origin stamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

parsi wrote: »
    In their Christmas brochure Aldi are advertising frozen turkey crowns "full of Irish goodness".

The turkey crowns advertised in their brochure with that tagline are fresh not frozen and are €10.99 a kg.

The frozen crowns weigh in between 1.8 and 2.4kg for €9.99.

Finally the fresh crowns are not on sale until this Sunday 20th December

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

dubliner cheese used to have a uk stamp even though i lived near the factory. turns out from someone who worked there that it was processed for a bit in UK and hence why its UK stamp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I get Kerrygold 'Irish' Butter when it was packed and produced in a factory just past Krefeld in Germany.

Doesn't really bother me where it comes from.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

soccerc wrote: »
    The turkey crowns advertised in their brochure with that tagline are fresh not frozen and are €10.99 a kg.

The frozen crowns weigh in between 1.8 and 2.4kg for €9.99.

Finally the fresh crowns are not on sale until this Sunday 20th December

Page 11 of their Christmas Brochure shows Frozen Turkey crown "packed with home grown Irish goodness". On sale December 3rd.

Please don't make a liar of me.

A screenshot of the brochure is attached - the entire brochure is too large to uplaod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Page 11 of their Christmas Brochure shows Frozen Turkey crown "packed with home grown Irish goodness". On sale December 3rd.

Please don't make a liar of me.

A screenshot of the brochure is attached - the entire brochure is too large to uplaod.

Perhaps they've put an Irish spud inside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you believe the advertising to be false or misleading, then lodge a complaint with the ASAI.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Perhaps they've put an Irish spud inside it.

ah gwan outa dat !
    dudara wrote:
    If you believe the advertising to be false or misleading, then lodge a complaint with the ASAI.

TBH I may as well let folk here know first. The ASAI will (at best) tell them that they've been naughty boys .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The ASAI will (at best) tell them that they've been naughty boys .

I don't know if the ASAI has the power to fine, but results are published on their website, and the results often make it into the press too. So word of mouth will increase that way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭MadMickeyMonk

Seen a good one today Wexford 'Irish' cheese with a UK origin stamp on the back.

EDIT: I have been since told that the cheese is manufactured here but sent to the UK to be packed(And shipped back to ROI to be sold) hence the UK origin stamp.

Jez all this tracability seems a bit silly cos having worked in seafood, your approval number ie IRL 3xx xxxx EC must be applied where the product is manufactured NOT where the product is packaged. It seems kind of stupid for a company marketing Irish product and then allow a british approval number be applied. Irish lines in certain foods commands more money in europe over other countries so i dunno whats going on there.

• Advertisement

Jez all this tracability seems a bit silly cos having worked in seafood, your approval number ie IRL 3xx xxxx EC must be applied where the product is manufactured NOT where the product is packaged. It seems kind of stupid for a company marketing Irish product and then allow a british approval number be applied. Irish lines in certain foods commands more money in europe over other countries so i dunno whats going on there.

Done my 'Irish' shopping in Dunnes last week the till receipt it showed my ‘Irish’ purchases

• Jacobs Cream crackers Not Irish made in the UK
    • Erin Soups Not Irish made in the UK
    • Jacobs Kimberley Not Irish made in the UK
    • Chef Sauce Not Irish made in the UK
    • Guinness Cans Packaged in Belfast
    • Also the OH bought a Ham from Dunnes Check the attached photo out (Dispalyed as Irish meat with a UK stamp on it)

All the above is displayed on the receipt as been Irish goods surly Dunnes Stores have people who check the origin of the Items they sell

Just checked the origin of that meet though the EC code

UK 2060 EC
    Grampian Country Pork Ltd
    Hugden Way, Norton Grove Industrial Estate, Malton, North Yorkshire, YO17 9HG
    Facilities: slaughterhouse, cutting plant, minced meat, meat preparation, purification plant
    Species slaughtered: pigs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

all cheese seems to have UK on it, you think Ireland could have some packing facilities in this day and age :rolleyes:

all cheese seems to have UK on it, you think Ireland could have some packing facilities in this day and age

For some small (and large) cheese manufacturers sending it to the UK to be packed is a cheaper option as it costs a lot of money to set up a packing plant here, most people would never look at the origin stamp, they look at the pack and see the nice Irish Farmer and Fields and assume what they are buying is an Irish product through and through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Done my 'Irish' shopping in Dunnes last week the till receipt it showed my ‘Irish’ purchases

• Jacobs Cream crackers Not Irish made in the UK
    • Erin Soups Not Irish made in the UK
    • Jacobs Kimberley Not Irish made in the UK
    • Chef Sauce Not Irish made in the UK
    • Guinness Cans Packaged in Belfast
    • Also the OH bought a Ham from Dunnes Check the attached photo out (Dispalyed as Irish meat with a UK stamp on it)

All the above is displayed on the receipt as been Irish goods surly Dunnes Stores have people who check the origin of the Items they sell

Just checked the origin of that meet though the EC code

UK 2060 EC
    Grampian Country Pork Ltd
    Hugden Way, Norton Grove Industrial Estate, Malton, North Yorkshire, YO17 9HG
    Facilities: slaughterhouse, cutting plant, minced meat, meat preparation, purification plant
    Species slaughtered: pigs

I agree with everything but technically as the Guinness is brewed here it technically is Irish regardless of where it is packaged or Canned or bottled. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Is the "irish" tag only related to the last point of significant processing. Where by that could be chopping up a half lamb into joints or putting the plastic rings onto a can.

Was there not a program in the UK about this recently??

Advertisement