Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[C&C] Ruin, abandonment, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

These are seriously class pictures, love them!

Maybe just keep an eye on the exposure on the skies

Nice work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

They're not grabbing me and the blown-out sky is an eyesore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

don't do nothing for me... sorry.

it might have looked better if the colours were richer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I like them... I'm not sure about #3 in the second post it wouldn't work as a stand alone piece, I'm not sure it even works in the set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Really like the first one, what lens were you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Yeah i like these,the last pic thats out of focus is cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

"Modern ruins" an interesting concept and choice of words.

I like the idea.

In general I'm liking the shots but the OOF one is puzzling me a little.

The idea is fantastic and I'm looking forward to see if any other members are in a position to post.

If I spot anything on my travels I'll shoot and post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

I really like these, good work, the processing on them really works to add a desolate feel - agree on the skies being blown though , perhaps toning them down a bit would be an idea ad has been suggested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Fenster... great shots when in B&W :) I like the first one.

Okay, now to respond to the stated interpretations (misinterpretations, actually) of my definitive masterwork...

:p

I get the concern about the skies, but I was shooting handheld and metering for the shadows. So I guess I could say that the blown-out skies were intentional. It certainly made my fix-up work around the edges - cloning out people, buildings - far easier, and I daresay, adds to the image. Desolation, bleakness, bright sky.

Tactical: I shot the OOF images (there's 10-ish) to use as desktop backgrounds, but I liked that one enough to include it here. It felt different, is all.

If anyone here can direct me towards other modern derelict buildings throughout the country, I would *love* to hear about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭woytek_tzn

I like the idea of abandoned pics;) I'm from Cork and recently I was in mental hospital there and magdalene laundry and even there's abandoned garage on the way to douglas hehe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

I really like the b/w ones. The colour shots don't do much for me, except for, strangely enough, the OOF shot. That one I love.
    As for more abandonment - does that pink-ish coloured monstrosity in Clarinbridge (right next to the school, on the main road, you can't miss it) count as modern? I've no idea what that originally was - hotel? some christian institution?

Advertisement