Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Page count summer exams?

Options
  • 15-12-2009 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Apologies for yet another random yet remedial question from yours truly but does anyone have any ideas what length History answers are supposed to be in semester 1 winter exams? I cant remember if we were told a general page count, just so i know what to be shooting for if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

First year, I take it? They should be two to three pages long closer to three really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

They shouldn't be any length. However long it takes to write a good argument or discussion is however long your answer should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

A full booklet....

plus references

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Brimmy wrote: »
    They shouldn't be any length. However long it takes to write a good argument or discussion is however long your answer should be.

+1

Fcuk off with your "how much should we write?" question!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

+1

Fcuk off with your "how much should we write?" question!

Long night yes?;)

• Advertisement

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Long night yes?;)

Maybe a drunken one but shhhh people still have exams to do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Apologies for yet another random yet remedial question from yours truly but does anyone have any ideas what length History answers are supposed to be in semester 1 winter exams? I cant remember if we were told a general page count, just so i know what to be shooting for if possible.

How long is a piece of string..??:p

Only jokin, I'm doing Doing History 1 today as well if that's what you're doin, aiming for about 4 (good) pages in each essay..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Maybe a drunken one but shhhh people still have exams to do ;)

ledge.

ledge.

and then some

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Do you get an hour per essay, in history?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

dyl10 wrote: »

That's always been the case for me, I'm pretty sure. I'm a 2nd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

dyl10 wrote: »

Doesn't necessarily have to be an hour each, but doing the smart thing would be to do it that way. My method is 5 paragraphs, just over 4 pages, 1 hour each. Hasn't failed me.....yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Somewhere around 1000-1500 words should be fine. Less than 800 isn't really a good idea.

And if the paper is 2 hours long, and you have to answer 2 questions, each of which is worth 50%, you should only spend an hour on each question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

dr gonzo wrote: »

About four pages...

Pain in your hand and invigilator breathing down your neck 'You could have started at the other end, you know...'

But don't get led down the path of tons and tons of pointless information! Produce an argument and beat it to death. This is worth its weight in paper (okay, it has the same weight as paper because its written on the stuff - but you get my gist...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

You can write an A answer in 2 pages and you can write an F answer in 6 so the question is a little redundant. However long it takes you to to say what needs to be said is the right length.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Arguments about how many pages it should take are pointless.

I've done well handing in 2 pages when it was meant to be 4 or 5. It depends on your argument or how big your writing is. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

In my experience of any exam you need to question yourself if you are going beyond 4 pages - as in, why have I not said what I need to say at this stage because time used up eats into other questions?

I remember doing History 1 and writing 9 pages on one question in Italian history and I got 47% or thereabouts. I gave myself a limit of 4 pages per question on the Irish history exam the next day and got 66% in it. Main reason was that at 4 pages I had time to answer all the questions properly.

Comments about size of writing and even speed of writing are valid but broadly speaking 4 pages is a good guide. Part of the test is how compactly and succinctly you can make your argument rather than how many random tenuously related facts you can write down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Cheers for the good info everyone. Yeh im a first year but im also a mature student so i should know better then to think of an essay in such simplistic terms as a required length but at the same time i just wanted to be as prepared as possible, its been a long time since ive done formal exams.

Thanks again, hope everyone were happy after the exams. If not, alcohol is everyones friend.

Advertisement