Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PANTERA Discussion

• 15-12-2009 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Great and no doubt about it.

I cant help but feel they peaked to soon and the albums got progressively worse.

I rate Powermetal as a better album than FBD, TGST and RTS. Infact at the moment in order from best to worst i would say:

Cowboys From Hell
    Vulgar Display of Power
    Powermetal
    The great southern trendkill
    Far Beyond driven
    Reinventing the steel

I dont have projects in the jungle etc on there as I havent listen to them in a good while.

Anyone any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

they're a great band, at the end of the day they were one of the few bands playing metal during the grunge days, and i personally think Vinnie Paul is one of the most underrated drummers of his generation..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

i'd be putting far beyond driven up higher there chief, was only listening to it today....great driving music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I wouldnt include power metal in there, definetly not over the 3 you have below it.
    I dont know many metal heads that dont like pantera tbh... thinkof the time when they were around.. there wasnt really much going on in the metal scene (maiinstream-ish metal scene)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Related to this thread, is a CD been given with this month's issue of Metal Hammer.

It's a tribute to Dimebag and there are cover versions of Pantera's songs.

This is the video of Evile recording Cemetery Gates. It's quite odd as the band had said before that they don't like playing covers. It was also the last song Mike Alexander recorded before he died. Haven't heard the actual song yet but those who have said it's one of the better songs on the album.

The full list is:

ZAKK WYLDE – SUICIDE NOTE PART 1
    MACHINE HEAD – ****ING HOSTILE
    MALEFICE – I’M BROKEN
    AVENGED SEVENFOLD – WALK
    EVILE – CEMETERY GATES
    FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH – A NEW LEVEL
    BIOHAZARD – MOUTH FOR WAR
    SYLOSIS – STRENGTH BEYOND STRENGTH
    CHIMAIRA – SLAUGHTERED
    UNEARTH – SANDBLASTED SKIN
    THROWDOWN – BECOMING
    KIUAS – THIS LOVE
    THIS IS HELL – RISE

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

they're a great band, at the end of the day they were one of the few bands playing metal during the grunge days, and i personally think Vinnie Paul is one of the most underrated drummers of his generation..

Thank god some one else out there agrees with me! The man is a machine! Hands down, Vinnie Paul is one of the greatest drummers of the last few decades at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Nice video there !

Personally, I think Power Metal is their best album then Cowboys. I was never too mad on Vulgar or Far Beyond Driven to be honest I'd listen to The Great Southern before I'd listen to those two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

ComaWhite wrote: »
    Thank god some one else out there agrees with me! The man is a machine! Hands down, Vinnie Paul is one of the greatest drummers of the last few decades at least!

I am not a drummer so cant really comment on his technical ability but I love Pantera's drum "sound".

No one better for the gym, fantastic stuff

ComaWhite wrote: »

and im not even a drummer im a guitarist! but seriously he really is phenomenal, the intro to Im Broken is the perfect example of his skill, i think its played in 5/4 time or something ridiculous like that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I see them as one of those essential metal bands you get into when you're starting to listen to metal. But nowadays I don't find them particularly stimulating, although I haven't listened to them much in a while.

I only ever listened to the big 4: Cowboys,Vulgar, FBD and GSTK. There are some absolutely fantastic songs on them, but at the same time there's songs that really don't stick out and, for me, aren't very memorable.

Far Beyond Driven is the angriest album ever though! Gotta love the energy and aggression in it. I'd have to listen to them again before rating them in order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I was never too mad on Vulgar

I cant believe that man!
    Sure enough im sick of walk and fukking hostile but the last 5 or so songs on that album are amazing. Live in a holes intro is some real definitive dimebag genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I got into Pantera around the time Far Beyond Driven was released (early '94 I think). As a result, that is easily my favourite Pantera album. I was never the biggest fan of Anselmo's vocals but the wall of sound provided by the guitar, bass and drums fit together really well on there. Obviously I like the other albums but the anger and aggression of Far Beyond Driven
    the intro to Im Broken is the perfect example of his skill, i think its played in 5/4 time or something ridiculous like that..
    Are you sure you don't mean a different song? This doesn't seem like it's in an exotic time signature...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

Great and no doubt about it.

I cant help but feel they peaked to soon and the albums got progressively worse.
    I don't know the pre-Cowboys... stuff, but for me VDoP was their peak... the later albums... some impressively heavy stuff and all that, but for me they got less and less interesting.

Malice_ wrote: »
    I got into Pantera around the time Far Beyond Driven was released (early '94 I think). As a result, that is easily my favourite Pantera album. I was never the biggest fan of Anselmo's vocals but the wall of sound provided by the guitar, bass and drums fit together really well on there. Obviously I like the other albums but the anger and aggression of Far Beyond Driven

Are you sure you don't mean a different song? This doesn't seem like it's in an exotic time signature...

i could be wrong, but to my ears it definately starts of in 5/4 then goes to 4/4 after bout 20 seconds, again i could be wrong!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Malice_ wrote: »
    I was never the biggest fan of Anselmo's vocals but the wall of sound provided by the guitar, bass and drums fit together really well on there. Obviously I like the other albums but the anger and aggression of Far Beyond Driven

I'm not mad on Anselmo's vocals either, but the emotion and anger he puts into them on that album makes it fantastic.

i could be wrong, but to my ears it definately starts of in 5/4 then goes to 4/4 after bout 20 seconds, again i could be wrong!!
    I had another listen to the song there. It's a cover version by Malefice on this month's Metal Hammer magazine cover but it's the same as the Pantera original. I broke out my guitar and jammed along and the intro riff on the guitar is definitely in 4/4 time (actually I find it easier to count it up to 8).

Here are a few 5/4 time songs:

Apologies for going wildly off-topic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

It does have some time signature changes, the first 25 seconds or so are in 4/4 and the verse is in 7/8. The pre-chorus seems to be in 6/8 with a few changes I think...

I don't know the pre-Cowboys... stuff, but for me VDoP was their peak... the later albums... some impressively heavy stuff and all that, but for me they got less and less interesting.

To be honest im not over familiar with the stuff before 'powermetal' but that has some real belters on there

'Proud to be loud' is playing in the house party scene in Donnie Darko. ;)
    Dr.Poca wrote: »
    I'm not mad on Anselmo's vocals either, but the emotion and anger he puts into them on that album makes it fantastic.

Phils vocals are amazing in my humbler. Some of this stuff he does is just raw aggression vocalised.
    The scream he lets out of him at 4:43 in the below video is jsut unreal. No body can say he wasnt into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Bought Metal Hammer at lunch, that tribute CD is pretty decent, just listening to it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

Bought Metal Hammer at lunch, that tribute CD is pretty decent, just listening to it now.

Got it yesterday too. Eviles cover is ****ing great :D as is machine heads.

Someother impressive stuff on it but for me those tracks are the standouts

It does have some time signature changes, the first 25 seconds or so are in 4/4 and the verse is in 7/8. The pre-chorus seems to be in 6/8 with a few changes I think...
    You're correct, I checked out a couple of tabs and there are definitely some time signature changes around the various choruses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm not a huge Pantera fan but from what I've heard I can say it's repetitive but great.

They were one of the best metal bands of their time but they are quite repetitive. Having said that, what music isn't really? You know exactly what you're getting with them.

Overall I personally think they aren't the best musicians but they were good at what they did.

Vinnie Paul - I don't think he's the best drummer ever. I play drums and I've often played along to some Pantera tunes and it's just boring to play. It suits the style of music though.

Dimebag - I don't think he's the best guitarist ever but some of his solos were fantastic. I especially like the Domination solo and the intro to Cemetery Gates.

Phil - Great vocals. He imo, was the best musician Pantera had.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Phil - Great vocals. He imo, was the best musician Pantera had.

:confused: What in gods name are you talking about!

He thinks Vinnie Paul's drums riffs are boring, likes some of Dimbag's solos, has no opinion on Rex and thinks that Phil was the best musician in the band.

I suppose this is going to open the "are vocalists musicians" debate again :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Damn straight yo.....I mean yeh wtf?

As much as i like phils vocals and having seen him with down he is good....but the best musician in pantera??????.........pffffftttt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 penso

No way is phil the best in the band, i mean just look at damageplan and rebel meets rebel, savage bands, dimebag and vinnie is what held it all together, the 2 greatest brother duo's in a band since malcolm and angus

• Registered Users Posts: 42 damnnargles

Hi there, This is my first post and I hope I'm doing it right :confused: Anywho imo Pantera are the best metal band of the 90's. I even prefer them to Metallica, although I have huge respect for Metallica I cannot see how you could rate the members of Metallica as better musicians. Vinnie Paul is as you's rightly said the most underrated drummer in metal, Dimebag is a genius, Phil is a great frontman and Rex is the glue that binds the amazing rhythm section. Although Hetfield is too a genius I think that Dimebag was and still is the greatest metal guitarist of all time. Guitarists like Kerry King should not be getting the accolades when their stuff is at best generic and messy. Although I am not a guitarist (a drummer) Dimebag and Hetfield are the only two guitarists to envoke a sense of happiness in me whilst I listen to them. R.I.P Dimebag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

As both a drummer and a guitarist I reckon Metallica are technically the beeter musicians,And i say technically ok.
    Far Beyond Driven is a great album and 1 i stick on occasionally when Im pissed off(dont get me wrong,i loved it back in the day).
    The 2 drummers would have to fight it off IMO to see who is the best but as for the guitarists i reckon Hetfield and Hammet win it,I could listen to those blokes noodle all day long.
    Personally my favourite slingers are Slash,McCready,Hammet,Gossard,Edge and an endless list really!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Was just listening to Vulgar this week......a great album.

Walk is a classic song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

To be honest im not over familiar with the stuff before 'powermetal' but that has some real belters on there

lol man.. if i found Phantera funny post-Vulgar this just cracks me up. got real self defensive having portrayed emselves as uber fags.. cheers :o 'Born To Be Loud.. n i'll never turn down again'

seriously imagine Manowar trying on a Testament To Face Smashing after 'all men play on ten'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

As both a drummer and a guitarist I reckon Metallica are technically the beeter musicians,And i say technically ok.
    Far Beyond Driven is a great album and 1 i stick on occasionally when Im pissed off(dont get me wrong,i loved it back in the day).
    The 2 drummers would have to fight it off IMO to see who is the best but as for the guitarists i reckon Hetfield and Hammet win it,I could listen to those blokes noodle all day long.
    Personally my favourite slingers are Slash,McCready,Hammet,Gossard,Edge and an endless list really!!

opinion noted, and respected but its a testament to how subjective music is for me to disagree. As much as i love 80's metallica, from a technical standpoint, vinnie is the better drummer, dimebag is like hetfield and hammet combined, with lead skills far surpassing hammet, and rhythm skills on par with hetfield.

I could cite many examples to back me up, but hammet for most of the 80's was a "start a solo real fast, drop in a half time wah part for the middle bit, then got mental till the end" dimebag had many tricks in his bag and was more eclectic in his soloing style. 5 minutes alone has one note bent for its solo for chrissakes! for his experimental style alone he comes out on top.

and need i mention the award winning planet caravan solo? hammet could probably play it, but its not something he'd think of coming up with.

Advertisement