Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polytunnel Query

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The first gust of wind would blow it away and it wouldn't need to be a strong wind. Keep your money in your pocket.
    Here is a link to an inexpensive home built polytunnel that can withstand a storm. You could build a smaller version if you didn't need it that big.
    http://www.albertahomegardening.com/how-to-build-an-inexpensive-hoop-style-greenhouse/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats a good link Sam, I saw another variation of that on overthegardengate.net, they used 50mm HDPE pipe for it, works out similar but probably stronger.
    Old scaffold pipe was hammered into the ground and the waterpipe slid over it and was fixed with a gutterbolt through the lot.
    Basically the same idea.
    http://www.overthegardengate.net/UserPages/pp_view.asp?FName=Polytunnel&Page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Excellent link Sam,

The rebar as anchor is an interesting approach, I'd modify it slightly and put gaffer tape over the restraining bands, they are a potential source of tears, which on a stretched sheet of polythene have a tendency to open.

Wish I'd seen it 8 yrs ago before I bought mine, though can't complain, it's been a great asset to the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

I got mine from here.
    It has stood up to 90kph winds so far this winter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 treesireland

i hav had a look at all the links and only john mac is cuming close,
    i am not long working with cumputers and when i can i will upload some pics that will be of greet help. or may be il make it a full day for as many people as wood like to see first hand a tunnel being putup in as many ways as posable.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement