Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof Rack?

Options
  • 16-12-2009 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Looking to buy a roof rack, second hand preferably. Just wondering where the best places to look would be, what prices I should be expecting to pay etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I tried buying a second hand rack before, it seems to be pretty difficult to find the right one. They're not the sort of things that people sell on very often. I ended up buying a Thule rack from Halfords. I guess the Buy and Sell or somewhere like Adverts.ie would be the best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

dont buy cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭ko4jm6y9iwv2lc

Thanks for replies. I dont have a cover for my board either. Should I get one or would it be alright on the roof rack without cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

You could buy a soft rack. I find them convenient. Cheaper than a proper roof rack too. link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

kodute wrote: »
    You could buy a soft rack. I find them convenient. Cheaper than a proper roof rack too. link

i find them to be crap, they wreck the ruber around one's windows and water drips into the car and i dont trust them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Cprh

Looking to buy a roof rack, second hand preferably. Just wondering where the best places to look would be, what prices I should be expecting to pay etc.

I've been using the Dakine softrack I bought Surfdock 4 years ago. I use it alot and it;s still good as new. It cost me €50 at the time. Best piece of hardware I've bought.

Note: It's the one with the decent strap, about 2 inches wide, and the steel clasps.

It does leak into car a bit though when it's lashing like all soft racks.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

liberal wrote: »
    i find them to be crap, they wreck the ruber around one's windows and water drips into the car and i dont trust them

Haven't found the rubber to get damaged at all.

Yes they all leak in heavy rain. I found its not too bad in light rain, left it on all day on one of those really crap days and the straps inside were only damp.

I trust mine (under 120km/h) with my longboard. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bagus

I've been in 2 cars where the boards have come undone.

One was a cheap roof rack, and the other was a soft rack.

Spend the money on a Thule, you won't regret it.
    They are transferable between cars too. You just need to swap out the clamping bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

I've been using a soft rack for years now,use it with a 12 foot board all the time and have gone on long trips with 2 sea kayaks on it and once a small bed.
    I find it fully secure if you put it on right and it's a big plus that it goes up and down in 30 secs,means you're not wasting petrol driving around with a rack on uneccessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bagus

baaaa wrote: »
    I've been using a soft rack for years now,use it with a 12 foot board all the time and have gone on long trips with 2 sea kayaks on it and once a small bed.
    I find it fully secure if you put it on right and it's a big plus that it goes up and down in 30 secs,means you're not wasting petrol driving around with a rack on uneccessarily.

2 kayaks...... ohhh the shame.

If it's the soft type that goes through the car it's paiful, as it let's the rain in and restricts head space.

If it's the other type it is unsafe, and your roof will be ruined with scratches.

Thule all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ourfi

I'm happy using a "handi rack" A soft roof rack for about €40. Love the fact it can roll away really small so can swop around with boards inside or on roof.
    It does leak a bit in really heavy rain but not too much. I'm happy & have driven long distances

I've a Thule set and can't be bothered to use them anymore. They are not all that. That could just be the girlie side of me showing through though! They cost over €200. I don't think you need them with boards

Have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mr board

my advise is to buy a thule roof rack or similar. Those soft racks are useless, they let rain in, they flap around on the motorway & I have almost lost two boards whilst hitting 120kmph. if you value your board, get her a decent solid rack & throw her in boardbag. done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Had a roofrack and longboard blown off the roof of the car resently, the clamps gave way after getting hit with a strong cross wind...

Rack was brand new, would risk a second hand one cuase you never know the internal damage after years of use...

If the car has a roofrack designed by the car manufacture get it or failing that a thule

Advertisement