Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price for re-wiring a house

Options
  • 16-12-2009 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi I recently got a price for the re-wire of my house but it seems a bit on the high side. The price I was given was €6000. Its an terraced house in the middle of Cork city. It has a small kitchen-dining room, a toilet under the stairs, a large sitting room and large living room downstairs. Upstairs theres 3 bedrooms, a small spare room/office and bathroom. It's roughly 1100 sq feet in size.
    The price I was given was for:
    Dis-connect and take out all old wiring
    Full re-wire excluding shower,
    24 Sockets- 8 upstairs 16 down,
    14 lights- 1 outside, 7 downstairs, 6 up
    2 smoke alarms, 1 heat alarm
    Earty rod,
    Immersion,
    Cooker
    3 tv points incl 1 double,
    1 extracter fan,
    re-connect shower
    Gas heating boiler in kitchen and timeclock.
    re-connect main board.
    I think thats everything so if you have any advice for me on what kind of price I should be looking at feel free to add to the thread. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

You should be able to get it done for 4000 if you want to shop around.Does it include making good etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

What is making good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

depends On a number of factors
    are you currently renovating house
    are the cables going flush in the walls
    is the electrician plastering afterwards
    are you living in the house at the moment
    are there timber floors up and down
    is the electrician certified
    there are new regulations recently introduced
    which increase the costs

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭targus

€4,000 should cover everything including plastering and certification providing thers is nothing out of the ordinary going to hold the electrician up,such as hardboard over floorboards or an inordinate amount of furniture in the house which would inevitably cause delays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jimmy79

Dont know what ye mean by making good and I certainly havent heard of an electrician plastering. The house will be unoccupied while the work is going on. Ceilings and walls are being re-slabbed and plastered and the outside walls are being latted and slabbed. The sparks I was onto already said theres no need for conduit or chasing. It should be a straight forward job. €4000 was around what I expected the price its just that when he said €6000 I got a bit of a shock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

flush is normally preferable long-term.If you're going surface making good isn't an issue really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭cossworxenergy

Ya could do 2 houses for 6k!! Shop around ders no shortage of sparkies ne way!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Flog

Hi jimmy79,

Did you manage to get a more acceptable quote? Did you get the re-wiring done? Were you satisfied with it?

Just looking to get the same done and we're just outside Cork City ourselves so I would be interested to hear how you got on.

All the best,
    Flog

Advertisement