Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No reduction in veterinary fees?

Options
  • 16-12-2009 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭

I was just wondering has anyone noticed a reduction in any veterinary bills? WE are in a recession and supposedly things are coming down, but have vet prices? Not that I know of anyway. And is there a reason they cannot reduce them? with people losing their jobs and paycuts I would think there should be a reduction. I just think its so annoying and a lot of animals will suffer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have you asked for a reduction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ok folks back on topic - and as for the spelling police - some people have spelling difficulties and so forth so don't be so rude

Off topic posts removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

We have brought down prices in the Veterinary Clinic I work in. Not huge price drops but noticeably cheaper all around than last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

No i haven't asked for a reduction.

My god I must have got some attack for my mispelling. Must be more careful in future...:rolleyes: didn't realise it was such an offense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I wish they would bring down their prices, after Christmas in January alone I've to get two dogs spayed, 2 dog boosters, one cat booster, one cat worming and 3 dog worming. Dreading the vet bill...............:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

I went up north, we got him chipped and his first round of shots and it was €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I just paid €20 for kennel cough vax, and €20 for a spay as I'm currently unemployed, the vet just asked me to sign, give my prsi number and said it would be €20. I plan on giving a donation after christmas as a thank you. I usually have a small amount put to one side for vet bills, but he's very reasonable and has often let me pay bills in installments or reduced the cost as I have 2 cats and 2 dogs.
    Think it depends on the vet.

Sounds like a nice vet! I think its in their interest as well, when a person has a lot of pets, it means more visits.

I was just wondering if they had come down much. It definitely pays to shop around. I have found big differences in neutering costs. Unfortunely the north would be too far for me to travel!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Been with the same vet now for about 18 months. Prices haven't changed in that time, but I always felt they were on the cheaper side of reasonable so never had any reason to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Just been to a vet in the Dublin 3 area yesterday with my cat for her booster and a quick check over. Cost €45. Seemed reasonable and they are really wonderful, same vet each time too which makes a difference. We got her spayed and microchipped recently too, I think it was €75 for the spay and €45 for the microchip. They also offer very reasonable boarding for cats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

susanroth wrote: »
    No i haven't asked for a reduction.

Haggle!
    If a farmer calls out a vet you can bet they're looking for a good price when they go to settle up
    You can do the same, if you won't ask for money off then you won't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Would you haggle with your GP? They have the same overheads!

Farmers can haggle because they spend a lot of money with their vet over the course of a year and the vet won't want to lose that guaranteed business.

If you are really, genuinely stuck for cash, you could always go to one of the Blue Cross' free mobile vet clinics. But please only use this service if you really need it - a lot of people abuse the service because they're stingey and don't want to pay for a vet.

It's a business

If you need something it's perfectly acceptable to discuss the price before it. Of course with an emergency this isn't possible
    I wouldn't haggle when presented with the bill, it's too late then

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

susanroth wrote: »
    I was just wondering has anyone noticed a reduction in any veterinary bills? WE are in a recession and supposedly things are coming down, but have vet prices? Not that I know of anyway. And is there a reason they cannot reduce them? with people losing their jobs and paycuts I would think there should be a reduction. I just think its so annoying and a lot of animals will suffer.

Unfortunately for you,the vets will probably stick together and charge roughly the same for procedures(in the same area of course).Vets have to pay a LOT for medicines and equipment.The drug companies rip them off and thats why they charge higher than expected fees.As for farmers,well they abuse credit and most wont pay for prolonged periods of time due to downright greediness.Its similar to stealing i suppose..Vet fees will go down a lot in 5 years or so though with the increasing number of vets in ireland

Anthony16 wrote: »
    Unfortunately for you,the vets will probably stick together and charge roughly the same for procedures(in the same area of course).Vets have to pay a LOT for medicines and equipment.The drug companies rip them off and thats why they charge higher than expected fees.As for farmers,well they abuse credit and most wont pay for prolonged periods of time due to downright greediness.Its similar to stealing i suppose..Vet fees will go down a lot in 5 years or so though with the increasing number of vets in ireland
    Thanks for this reply, I was just curious why. I can definitely see that happening with farmers not paying on time but never really thought about it before now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Anthony16 wrote: »
    As for farmers,well they abuse credit and most wont pay for prolonged periods of time due to downright greediness.Its similar to stealing i suppose..Vet fees will go down a lot in 5 years or so though with the increasing number of vets in ireland

I wouldn't call it stealing! Vets do that with farmers, they usually send the bill out by post or call around to the farmer's house once a year or so with the bill. It's how a lot of country Vets do it and yes I'm sure some of them don't pay on time but they have to eventually so I'd hardly call farmers stealing just because they don't have to pay on the spot like people with small animals do.

Farmers aren't in a PAYE job with a steady income.
    Instead they can get tens of thousands (if lucky!) one month and feck all for the next eleven months.
    So yes they definitly require credit. But a farmer will pay the vet.....eventually. A farmer can't afford to be blacklisted

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

mikemac wrote: »
    Farmers aren't in a PAYE job with a steady income.
    Instead they can get tens of thousands (if lucky!) one month and feck all for the next eleven months.
    So yes they definitly require credit. But a farmer will pay the vet.....eventually. A farmer can't afford to be blacklisted

Of course,not all farmers are thieves but a good few are.Cousin of mine a vet and had to bring a farmer to court in order to get the farmer to pay his bill of 9k.The farmer told him he had no money.Later on it was found out that he was very wealthy.
    Many of them abuse credit and unless you have family members who are involved in large animal veterinary,you wouldnt believe what goes on.

Btw,i have 2 uncles who are farmers so its not a personal vendetta against them.Its FACT

Advertisement