Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what kind of tactics do you use - and why?

Options
  • 16-12-2009 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭

Curious about this, and don't mind if people tell me to fcuk off for asking. :pac:

I was using:

Pick and Go: 15%
    The other one: 15%
    Expansive: 40%
    Creative: 30%

Just curious as to what exactly each means, etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Curious about this, and don't mind if people tell me to fcuk off for asking. :pac:

I was using:

Pick and Go: 15%
    The other one: 15%
    Expansive: 40%

Just curious as to what exactly each means, etc...

Pick and Go: nice and simple. A forward picks off the back of the ruck and charges forward for a hard yard. Low risk, low return.

Driving: Scrum half releases for a "crash ball". Can go to a pod of forwards, a blindside winger cutting inside the out half, or to 1st centre (no 12). Pretty safe ball, unless the carrier looses it in the tackle.

Expansive: Deliver the ball to 13,15 and the wingers. Tests the handling a bit, as well as the rucking ability of the wide players.

Creative: Usually seems to be either
    - Intricate passing movements between out half, centres and loose forwards.
    - out half chipping across field to the wingers.
    Usually results in either a line break or a turnover.

My forwards are a little better than my backs, and not as mobile as i'd like, so my 'normal' setup would be almost the opposite of yours.

I would also base tactics on the other team to some extent. If I think i'll have an advantage in the lineout, I'll kick to touch more. If I see a short back three, i'll kick more up and unders. Against a stronger ruck, i'll kick a lot to avoid being turned over in my own half. Against a strong backline, i'll kick less to hopefully starve them of posession, and play dirty to slow the ball down more.

There's also some profit to be made from knowing an opponents defensive system. Driving attacks targets the inside shoulder, which should be weaker in a drift defense. A rush defense can be chipped over, or gone around (expansive, if your centers can move the ball well enough). Creative plays with lots of movement should confuse man on man systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

I am usually fairly even

Pick & go: 22%
    Driving: 20%
    Expansive: 28%

these are adjusted for weather and opponents etc... ie if looks bad weather I will up the forwards etc.

kicking is around 25-30% with 95% kick to touch...

hopefully now i wont get hammered in the boards cups as my tactics are here...but maybe I am being sneaky and these are not my tactics at all...:p

but I like to imagine my team playing like the french on a good day!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Well mine are just asking to be pounded up front so don't worry. :pac:

Thinking of moving back to something closer to yours e.

Wish you could see your opponents players abilities for decisions like this. :p

I've got a couple of pacy wingers and decent (for my level) handling, so it looks like I might persist with a wide game. Although narrow it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

40% Expansive is far far too high.

Also, you haven't accepted your ie boards Blackout Cup fixture yet. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I used to always have quite a high level of Pick n go, cause from my own rugby days I remember nothing putting the ****s up another team more than a vicious serious of pick n go phases... most teams have no idea what to do with it.
    I've started to change since I hit Div 3 and realised that my pack may be a bit mediocre at times, my backs are always decent.
    Now it changes every match, to be honest. Weather plays a big part in it and of course my gut feeling about the other team.

I don't go in for the in-depth analyse other managers use, but if I've a feeling that your forwards are too pretty, I will pound the **** out of yiz!

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    40% Expansive is far far too high.

Also, you haven't accepted your ie boards Blackout Cup fixture yet. ;)

It's gone down a lot now. ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

I used to always have quite a high level of Pick n go, cause from my own rugby days I remember nothing putting the ****s up another team more than a vicious serious of pick n go phases...

Typical prop ;)

It's gone down a lot now. ^^

How much to? In general, the ball should go through the forwards quite a bit more then through the backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

I still finding my feet in the game but this is what I used last time out,

Pick and Go: 45%
    Driving: 30%
    Expansive: 10%
    Creative: 15%

satory wrote: »
    I still finding my feet in the game but this is what I used last time out,

Pick and Go: 45%
    Expansive: 10%
    Creative: 15%

That's not far off my tactics for the past season.

• Advertisement

How much to? In general, the ball should go through the forwards quite a bit more then through the backs.

Think 25% or so.

Though considering a 30:30:20:20 swing for my next game. Going to see how it goes.

Think 25% or so.

Though considering a 30:30:20:20 swing for my next game. Going to see how it goes.

That's close enough to what I think it should be. I could be wrong of course ;)

That's close enough to what I think it should be. I could be wrong of course ;)

Aye, you could be, but you're more likely to be right than me. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Also bear in mind that certain tactics absolutely cripple certain types of defense. I'm yet to really figure any of that out, but yeah, keep it in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 farmer12

If your unsure of the opposition then go with the below, it gives an even spread amongst the backs and forwards.

If playing a team weaker in CSR or a BOT kick up and under at least 75% as will get more line breaks.

Pick and Go: 20%
    Expansive: 25%
    Creative: 25%

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wylie Luke

Does playing Aggressively with LTNT result in a huge amount of penalties against or what are peoples thoughts on that for the playoffs?

Wylie Luke wrote: »
    Does playing Aggressively with LTNT result in a huge amount of penalties against or what are peoples thoughts on that for the playoffs?

Yes.

Depends laregly on the discipline of your team and their technique levels (in comparison to the opposition naturally).

Advertisement