Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How strict are admission requirements for postgrads?

Options
  • 16-12-2009 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Hi all,
    I graduated a couple of years back with a 2.2- I missed a 2.1 by a hair.
    At the time I wanted to get out into the working world and didn't intend on continuing education so I was happy with my 2.2 but now I am looking at postgrad courses and many of them need a 2.1. Are most colleges strict about this? I missed by a couple of percent.
    I am interested in applying for college in the US or Canada so any information about how strict they are would be great too.

Thanks!

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

It depends on the college, but most will be 2.1. If you've got work experience in the area you're applying to it might offset the 2.2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

Magenta wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I graduated a couple of years back with a 2.2- I missed a 2.1 by a hair.
    At the time I wanted to get out into the working world and didn't intend on continuing education so I was happy with my 2.2 but now I am looking at postgrad courses and many of them need a 2.1. Are most colleges strict about this? I missed by a couple of percent.
    I am interested in applying for college in the US or Canada so any information about how strict they are would be great too.

Thanks!

M

I suspect that you will find that a good explanation, some evidence that you can actually hack the course, and any other qualifications would help here; USA/Canada will be stricter.
    Talk to the course director.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

You may well have to take an aptitude test for graduate school in the US, so that will be a big factor in your application as well as your degree results.

• Depends on the college. All the ones I applied to were strict about having a high 2:1 (67%+) but they were all top 10 ones in the UK. Why don't you ring the admissions office and ask about your chances? Or even better contact the course director. They should be able to give you a fair idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Dunno about Canada but you might have trouble with the US; postgrads are often funded so you'll be against stiff competition for the few slots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

US colleges will require the GRE and from personal experience your funding options are more linked to your GRE scores than your undergrad classification. It does count too though!

A high 2:2 doesn't rule you out from courses here and in the UK that require a 2:1 minimum necessarily. Although there is meant to be a big divide in the standard between a 2:1 and a 2:2 in reality distinguishing between someone whose overall average was 59% and someone whose average was 60% is difficult. If you are as close to the boundary as you say then you are more likely to be considered (competition for places may be more fierce given the current economic situation).

Some colleges will be more accommodating than others - best to check directly with the ones you're interested in.

Advertisement