Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Access question

Options
  • 16-12-2009 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what would cause the records in an Access table to be suddenly rendered uneditable?
    Happened to me yesterday;all of a sudden I wasn't able to change any fields of a table. Strangely I could add new records, just not change what was in existing ones. I got that message Cannot update record locked.
    I could not add directly into the table, it was nothing to do with a form attched to it or anything
    Then all of a sudden it disappeared and everything was fine. Is it possible that someone may have had the design of that particular table opened? (This should be impossible as I am the only one who can modify the design of the db;the db is on a sahred drive though)
    But if this was the case then surely I would be prevented from adding new records too though?
    Some records also disappeared from another table.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've spent the last 6 weeks teaching Access 2007. Horrible stuff.

However, I generally found that 99% of the times Access wouldn't let you modify something, it was because something or somebody had something related open (e.g. a form). I couldn't explain the other 1%. :)

The fact that you have it on a shared drive suggests that perhaps somebody double-clicked on it, then exited out quickly enough afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

There is all sorts of weird stuff going on now. The back-end db got corrupted this morning. Someone got an error about losing the connection to the shared drive while he was creating a new redord on a form (the front-end is connected to a back-end on a shared drive).
    After he exited, the db was in an unrecognised format. Thankfully I did a backup first thing when I got in this morning.
    When I tried to open this db it told me that it was opened exclusivley by another user, giving the user id and pc name. I went and checked the pc, access was not even running and the girl who uses the pc would not even know how to get at the shared drive where it is located, never mind open it.
    Is someone doing a remote-desktop and messing stuff up or am I being paranoid?

Advertisement