Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat flap training not going well

Options
  • 16-12-2009 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

I am quite possibly being impatient but we installed a cat flap last friday for our two cats. I tried coaxing them in and out with food and showing them how to use it but they can get out but not back in. Seriously dont want them out in these cold nights so I have propped it open for now. Should I leave it propped open for a week or so and then go back to trying to coax them in?

Anyone any advice on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cats are kinda stupid but should get the point of the flap. It's called operant conditioning (actually quite interesting if you read about it*)
    Once they've been able to go through the flap a few times they will get the point.

Try tying a bit of fish/whatnot to a string and then pull the string into the house through the flap so they will follow the fish through the flap. Repeat 5 times. Done.

*Let's explain that a little further. The classic study of Operant Conditioning involved a cat who was placed in a box with only one way out; a specific area of the box had to be pressed in order for the door to open. The cat initially tries to get out of the box because freedom is reinforcing. In its attempt to escape, the area of the box is triggered and the door opens. The cat is now free. Once placed in the box again, the cat will naturally try to remember what it did to escape the previous time and will once again find the area to press. The more the cat is placed back in the box, the quicker it will press that area for its freedom. It has learned, through natural consequences, how to gain the reinforcing freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

If they can go out through the flap, they can get in too. Just leave it at it is, if they want to come in badly enough, they will use it. Or at least make an attempt to summon staff :D
    Keeping it propped open is defeating the purpose somewhat ^^ and the pervious poster's tip sounds good.
    We did not have to resort to any tricks, my 2 took to it like a fish to water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Agree with the propping it open - it doesn't help at all.
    We tried it with our two dogs, they didn't like the feel of the flap hitting them on the back, we tried tempting them through with chicken and what not, worked some of the time but still a lot of work and very little progress.
    We changed the flap to some gauzey stuff with a plastic lip to hold it down and they've no problem with that! lol.

Magnus has a very good tip, conditioning (Whilst some may not agree) actually does work.

Advertisement