Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Often Should You Wash Your Dog?

Options
  • 16-12-2009 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

How often should you wash or get your your dog groomed?

I've heard all the old wives tales of washing no more than twice a year; surely there's no truth in that:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I would rinse my lad when he is very mucky, i find if I brush him out and rub in baby powder on him he's fine, and doesnt smell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭LauranceB

Thanks Nuttzz.

Our lad sweats quite a bit and isn't too fond of washing himself! The powder is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

We would wash ours when she gets oily. Not for her really, just for us - cos she gets lots of rubs :) She loves to swim, so she's generally clean - she gets dried off when she gets home and that keeps her well.
    She'll get a Christmas bath though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 merc998

We would wash our dog washed every month/6 weeks and get a full groom prob every 3 months need to keep them clean the smell of her after a couple of months without a wash is horrible!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Currently I have a 8 month old Springer, who seems to enjoy nothing more than leaping into every available mud/mini pond that she sees. Our local area was flooded a few weeks ago and when she spotted one of the fields/lake it was like Christmas had come early.

Essentially she's muddy alot, so I have to wash her down alot.

Groomers would advise you to go fairly regularly, especially with some of the longer haired dogs.

Different experts would give different answers on the pro's and con's to self washing your dog. But you alone know your pet. How dirty it gets, how much grooming it needs. Whether its out in fields alot, in a small Garden, or indoors constantly, because all these factors would effect your answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

All of my dogs live in the house and I have a very big hatred of the "doggie odor" so usually every 2/3 weeks they all get washed, unless they have gotten particularly muddy etc in which case they get washed anyway (a regular washing session usually takes me an entire morning, and sometimes into the afternoon, to get them done). Their bed covers get washed and every 2-3 washes the entire beds get washed - it's a big operation.

I use baby shampoo on the dogs and they have never had skin problems (dry skin etc.) related to too much washing. I will also use tea tree shampoo on them every-so-often to keep their skin in tip top form and groom them with a stiff bristled brush (along with regular grooming with a dog comb) to stimulate their skin and get the blood flowing - they love it, which is more than I can say about the regular grooming!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

It depends on the breed and how dirty the dog gets. If we don't wash the basset every two weeks he starts to hum and no-one will go near him. Its nearly impossible to wash some of the denser-coated dogs like labradors and St. Bernards but they don't need it as much as they are less oily.

Make sure to use a suitable mild doggy shampoo and rinse it out carefully, then dry with a towel.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

LauranceB wrote: »

Our lad sweats quite a bit .

Dogs don't sweat. They do not have sweat glands (except for on their paws)

Haven't washed any of our dogs in ages (years??) except for muddy paws or sticky bums.

Neither of them smells particularly bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ours are Lhasa Apsos and thus with the double coat and rather fluffy (the younger one definitely) we get them groomed around every 2 + months. We would only wash them inbetween if they got manky! Because unless you know how to wash them right (longer haired dogs) you end up just creating matts.
    If they get a bit mucky, best thing is let it dry out if possible and then brush it out, there's also dry shampoo I think you can get which can be used between washes to keep the bad odours away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our retriever is 5 months and has been washed 3 times - twice when he rolled around in muck and dirt and on friday just gone because he was really smelly. He seems to like it - on saturday he jumped into the (empty) bath and wouldn't get out! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I don't have a set routine for washing my dogs (two Jack Russells). They both like to roll around in the smelliest, muddiest thing they can find when they are out for a walk if they get the opportunity, so if they are really muddy they get a wash, but normally a rinse down is enough for them without going the whole hog with the shampoo. Unless they smell pretty bad. They are quite fond of rolling in foxes droppings! They don't particularly like the bath but they will tolerate it. One of them runs out to the landing (the only carpeted part of the house) when he's done and rubs himself up and down the carpet to dry himself off. It's comical to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bogtotty

Tis the season for foxshyte close to the house (we keep poultry) so our lot have been getting fairly regular hose-downs. I only wash them when they're really humming - sure the house reeks of dogs and kids anyway so I've become immune to all but the most evil stenches.

bogtotty wrote: »
    Tis the season for foxshyte close to the house (we keep poultry) so our lot have been getting fairly regular hose-downs.

Apart from the smell - also very good to wash em after being around fox poo as they can catch fox mange.
    (My two have gone in for their 3rd and final bath to rid them of what we believe is fox mange, and mine don't roll in poop or anything, but there are a lot of foxes around)

When you have a pup and it soils itself, it's grand to give them a wee bath, we used to do that when Daisy was toilet training, easier than trying to use doggy wipes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

My dogs get very muddy on their walks so I make sure to end each walk by a clean part of the river and they have a couple of swims to wash off the dirt. Then they have a toweling when they get home. If they have rolled in poo/a carcass/something else sticky and stinky they get a wash. Though I bring a small bottle of Ecover washing up liquid on walks so I let them have a swim, give them a quick sudsey rub and send them back for another couple of swims, which does the trick as painlessly as possible.

I try not to wash them too much in winter as I've read they need their natural oils to help combat the cold? But they will get a wash next week as I have a friend pet-sitting them over christmas and I doubt her tolerance of stinky dog is as high as mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Haven't washed my 5 month old Rottie yet, haven't felt the need. My Chihuahua gets washed maybe every 4 months or so and my Japanese Spitz gets washed twice a year after he drops his coat, the good thing about his coat is it has little to no oil in it so it doesn't trap dirt or odours so he doesn't need many baths to keep him fresh just a good grooming twice a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭LauranceB

peasant wrote: »
    Dogs don't sweat. They do not have sweat glands (except for on their paws)

:o I suppose its the usual doggy odor - not a good smell!

I have never once seen our four legged friend wash himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

I gave the dog his first wash this year. He's four. I'm feeling a bit skanky compared to the rest of ye. He's in clean rivers every day though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭leopardus

I've never washed my ~ 19 month old belgian sepherd. Gave a rinse once in fresh water to remove the salt after trying to convince him to get into the sea (he didn't enjoy the experience, so it hasn't been repeated).
    He doesn't smell and was complimented on is healthy coat by the vet. I really don't think bathing is neccesary unless he swims in the sea, or rolls in something unpleasant smelling. It really doesn't benefit the dog. I would add though that regular grooming with the appropriate utensil for your dogs coat is of great benefit to the coat and, I've found, cuts down on excessive 'doggy' odour. The 'rake' type of comb works wonders for my dogs coat; 2-3 minutes every morning. Reduces hair shed in the house too.

Each breed is different though, some dogs don't need to be washed for ages, especially if they're out in clean rivers or groomed regularly.

My two need to be groomed because they've dual coats and long haired and they're indoors most of the time and like to get up on the couch or bed so it's probably a bit more hygenic that way. If your dog isn't dirty/smelly etc, and is brushed regularly, then there's probably not much need for regular baths.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happypuppy

I've a white westie and have been told not to wash him more than once a month at most as they are prone to skin conditions and to be honest he hates it and i'm not bothered that he isn't glowing white more interested in his health than his colour :) so i wait till month is up and see how he goes after that! Usually ends up being when i need to have him groomed cos hair needs cutting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bogtotty

star-pants wrote: »
    Apart from the smell - also very good to wash em after being around fox poo as they can catch fox mange.

I didn't know that, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have two very long haired dogs.
    One 18month old Tibetan terrier(looks similar to OES, but smaller) and a 7 month old Lhasa Apso.
    I wash and groom them myself every 2-4 weeks, depending in what they've been getting into.
    The Tibetan is mostly white and loves muck, but it brushes out when dry(mostly) as they have little oil in their coat. I did get him trimmed at 10months as a full coat is a full time job with him, and I trimmed him myself since.
    The Lhasa has yet to have her first trim, but I wash and groom her when its needed. Brushing a lot at the mo as she seems to be getting her adult coat and it knots a lot.
    The trick with the long haired breeds is to brush out all tangles first, then mix shampoo and water, and sponge on the mix without rubbing, just smooth through the coat and rinse, repeat with conditioner. Johnsons baby shampoo and no more tangles shampoo is good and smells lovely.;)
    Also smooth hair and squeeze off water, then wrap in towel(don't rub!)
    and blow dry gently.(never brush or comb when wet), brush again.
    Usually takes about 3 hours to do the two of them, I wash beds at the same time.
    They love it and even lie on their sides for a brush them turn over for the other side.
    I've had dogs in the past that have had one or two baths a year, it all depends on the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

The only dog I wash is the three-legged Jack Russell as she's the only one that doesn't swim, and then it's only if she's rolled in something. The other two both swim and their daily walk is beside a river so they just get a towelling dry when we get home. They all get brushed/combed once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Used to wonder how collie stayed so clean.. She rolls around in wet grass... then grooms her paws and legs when she comes in.

Wee dog does smell doggy; baby powder is good.. She is now starting to copy collie and rolling in wet grass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I tried to wash the late great Rat (Sam) once - oh never again. To say he reacted badly would be the understatement of the century.

So, in the 18 years I had him, I never officially washed him. He would come back from the park with a tide line of mud on him, scurry into his chambers, clean himself cat-like and emerge sparkling a couple of hours later.

I miss him and his funny ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

mymo wrote: »
    I
    The Tibetan is mostly white and loves muck, but it brushes out when dry(mostly) as they have little oil in their coat. I did get him trimmed at 10months as a full coat is a full time job with him, and I trimmed him myself since.

I have a mostly white Lhasa and she also is a muck magnet
    ..and she helps out too !

[IMG][/img]2724679041_e454d43b63_o.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

haha - brilliant! she looks so white compared to the big mucky puddle. :D

Is that Lucy? She's so beautiful, Lilys here looking at the photo, she's trying to paw at her lol.
    Lily doesn't like being wet so I'm not sure she'd go searching in muck - but she loved the snow back in Feb.
    Daisy on the other hand jumps about in puddles and loves water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Yep that's our Lucy OK( She'll be 3 tomorrow week 27th)

From an early age...(3 months)

426725363_cb7dcdecb5.jpg

She has been known to go into the coal bunker too

She HATES baths though

Hayley doesn't actively go looking for water/mud like Lucy and for some reason doesn't seem to attract mud as much

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

lol she's a divil so!
    Lily went 3 at the end of Sept, Daisy'll be 1 at the end of this month.
    Daisy digs in the muck and so forth too!

Advertisement