Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house: need advice! (mortgage brokers?)

Options
  • 16-12-2009 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

We're first time buyers and one of our estate agents is encouraging us to go with a mortgage broker. What are the advantages and disadvantages of that? Are we tied in with the broker or can we also negotiate with bank separately? Who pays the broker? Do they have any potential vested interests? Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do they have any potential vested interests?
    If tehy are paid by the bank, they can be less than scrupulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 stephenwinder

Even worse, just realised that they can very likely be in kahoots with the estate agent - certainly we'd be unwise to go with a broker that the estate agent recommends, they'd know how much we can offer and put prices up that amount

• Registered Users Posts: 19 anyanka

From my experience, I would go with a broker. Obviously you need to find a reputable one and yes not one recommended by estate agent.
    I found it gave me peace of mind and yes he may encourage you toward one particular bank etc, at the end of the day, you take all the information, offers etc he gives you and then obviously take his advice into account but make up your own mind.
    I didnt have to pay my broker he made his commission from whatever bank I chose to go with. Not sure if this is still the case. If you want to pm me I will give you his details

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I've used a broker. Ask them which banks they normally work with. The advantage is that they can usually negotiate for a better deal than the average Joe. I used one and got a EURIBOR+1.15% tracker on an 85%+ mortgage.

Advertisement