Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangefinder lovers

• 16-12-2009 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I've finally broke my hoodoo on ebay, been failing to win cameras for a couple of months because I refused to overpay but managed to win an Olympus 35DC last night at a bargain price.

Anyway, in preparation for it's arrival I decided to try find the manual online, and found this website which may be of use to some of you here:

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/instructionmanuals.html

Enjoy.

Feel free to add pictures of your rangefinder here and I'll do the same with my existing and the new arrival when it comes :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

duffarama wrote: »
    I've finally broke my hoodoo on ebay, been failing to win cameras for a couple of months because I refused to overpay but managed to win an Olympus 35DC last night at a bargain price.

Anyway, in preparation for it's arrival I decided to try find the manual online, and found this website which may be of use to some of you here:

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/instructionmanuals.html

Enjoy.

Feel free to add pictures of your rangefinder here and I'll do the same with my existing and the new arrival when it comes :pac:

Good stuff.
    If you can't find the manual there, then this site is probably the place to go:
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/index.html

I've actually given this guy money :D All the stuff is available for free, but he has a donation button if you're feeling generous.

I don't generally take pictures OF my cameras, but here's a picture taken WITH my Olympus XA (the only rangefinder I own) ...

3924309992_064fd24c43.jpg

-edit- Hmph ! here's a few more because Fajitas just put a metric TON of pictures into his post. Never let a chance go by to pimp the stream, and after my bruising C&C the other day ...

4134527660_1d36ec4032.jpg

3923550119_c7f3d23da1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I do love my rangefinders, my Canonet comes everywhere with me these days.

It's my second one after my first one got soaked in beer and dropped too many times jammed up. This is what he looks like;

3058974207_4a72d55ac5.jpg

This is what he eats;

3166454897_fb155d5e33.jpg

This is what he looks like when he's going on holidays;

3155990729_577239818c.jpg

And this is what he produces;

3310368290_11cf4793ac.jpg

3078097256_7ab9e90217.jpg

3201204025_7c1fb7a4f1.jpg

3202047660_13b7216be5.jpg

3194085065_072eab4f3e.jpg

3194927186_e424879615.jpg

A crop of the last one appeared on an EP cover too.

I have another few bits and bobs, but I just get on really well with the Canonet. He dosn't like me cheating on him neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

I decided I don't have enough pictures OF my cameras and since I'm never home in daylight at the moment I'm going to take some B&W of the cameras themselves.

I'll post one or two pictures from my Contax G2 later.

I'll post one or two pictures from my Contax G2 later.

<pedantic-hat>
    The G2 isn't a rangefinder.
    </pedantic-hat>

<pedantic-hat>
    The G2 isn't a rangefinder.
    </pedantic-hat>

Oh really? Because it has no rangefinder patch?

If you can scale focus, and you can, then it's a rangefinder no?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

One from duff's "rangefinder":)

887A6FEEE82F49308EABD66A7D53DB90-500.jpg

Damn you and those quote marks!!

Is this the official rangefinder thread now :)

:)
    If you can scale focus, and you can, then it's a rangefinder no?

Nope, it's a scale focusing camera :). The G2 is a sophisticated and super high end interchangeable lens AF P&S. The rangefinder thing was tacked on by Contax (or kyocera rather) to give it some cachet. I mean, there is actually no way of telling, looking through the viewfinder, if something is in focus or not. It doesn't even have any sort of electronic focus indicator other than the displayed distance IIRC.

Some pictures from my "rangefinder" :p

The first one looks much better as a print :(

4911C067F7A24873928F4233B8B869DF-500.jpg

48FAA72A83854178A47D05D4D7D7DE77-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Fajitas! wrote:

Was checking them out on ebay and seem to go for reasonable enough prices. Battery availability for them put me off a bit, did you get yours converted or is it easier to get those batteries this side of the Atlantic?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

9BA6518528B74EE8814491B131903BC1-500.jpg
    BFCCC2068404464C8BD5D50B6AC37C8C.jpg
    with fajitas zorki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

davmigil wrote: »
    Was checking them out on ebay and seem to go for reasonable enough prices. Battery availability for them put me off a bit, did you get yours converted or is it easier to get those batteries this side of the Atlantic?

This battery will do the job: http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_mrb625.htm

I've the bigger, older version of the QL17. Looks nice, but it's a bit big and heavy. I prefer my XA. I find the rangefinder in both a bit dim and tricky to use. I can't imagine how good Leica's must be considering people use them to focus f1.0 lenses wide open!

Canonet:
    4090759676_e9114d2299.jpg

From the XA:
    3991434886_8dc94557fc.jpg

Oh and if we're allowed mention scale focussing cameras, my favorite's the Holga ;)

I've the bigger, older version of the QL17. Looks nice, but it's a bit big and heavy. I prefer my XA. I find the rangefinder in both a bit dim and tricky to use. I can't imagine how good Leica's must be considering people use them to focus f1.0 lenses wide open!

Ah yes, I think I've chanced across your XA stuff before. Some absolutely superlative shots there.

The chap I got mine off had a converter, which works perfect - My old one, the meter was shot, so I just used it in manual the whole time.

Leica's are grand, I've used'em, beautiful viewfinders, quality is amazing... but tbh, I'd feel guilty with one around my shoulder while I'm out on the beer. Or when I wake up in some random flat and have to make my way home... That's the joy of the Canonet - You've got a great wee camera, smaller than a Leica, quieter too, with a decent flash. It can come everywhere, and if you lose it, just head off and buy another one. Or indeed, twenty of them, for the price of an M7...

I really like the XA - I was actually going to get one instead of the new Canonet, but I think the viewfinder on the Canon is that bit better, and it's lens is that bit faster.
    adding more pics cos fajitas put LOADS in !!
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I ordered one in Camera Exchange - took about three days IIRC.

Jesus I have to do something with my yokes. Off for 6 weeks from today! \0/ Plan on actually *taking* some photographs :eek:

You *still* haven't used all the ones you got?

For shame, Sinead, for shame!

I have! I have about 4000 rolls of film I pushed the bejaysis out of that I still haven't developed though. And now I can't remember which ones are pushed and which aren't. So I've taken plenty of shots, just no actual results yet :D Darkroom session being organised in my head as I type...

There's going to be a lot of swearing involved in that darkroom session...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

The XA rocks! Its my new favorite camera and it comes everywhere with me. I only realised it was a range finder the other day (excuse my stupidity!) and it made me love it even more! Its a little cracker :)

5322527408864B569A88913E9BB80E52.jpg

863D7D1428DD4DCF803182C7996908CD-500.jpg

BFEFE70962A8402C8532FFD70AE7C50E-500.jpg

Fajitas! wrote: »
    There's going to be a lot of swearing involved in that darkroom session...

No change there then :) Ah feck it - what comes out comes out. There's nothing I'd be precious about on them anyway. And it'll teach me to mark them from now on.

• Advertisement

katiemaloe wrote: »
    The XA rocks! Its my new favorite camera and it comes everywhere with me. I only realised it was a range finder the other day (excuse my stupidity!) and it made me love it even more! Its a little cracker :)

yeah you gotta love it all right. Although the flash (I see you have one aswell) is useful only in emergencies. It just reduces the XA to deer caught in the headlights P&S mode.

yeah you gotta love it all right. Although the flash (I see you have one aswell) is useful only in emergencies. It just reduces the XA to deer caught in the headlights P&S mode.

I've heard the flash is quite good, would you recommend the A14 over the A11 or just not bother?

I want an XA, but I want one in red!

I've heard the flash is quite good, would you recommend the A14 over the A11 or just not bother?

I want an XA, but I want one in red!

I'm not too sure as to which is better. The A11 is smaller, I have the A14. They're a neat design, and they do the job, its just that they have all the usual drawbacks of on-camera flash. Plus there isn't any easy way of controlling the aperture of the XA, you put it into flash mode and the camera stops down. You can attach the flash and then switch manually to a different aperture, but then you mess with its automatic flash exposure so you have to calculate GNs and distances and what have you. So yeah, in terms of automatic on camera flash they're fine.

AFAIK if you want a red XA you're stuck getting an XA2, which isn't a rangefinder either :D

AFAIK if you want a red XA you're stuck getting an XA2, which isn't a rangefinder either :D

Gees, tough crowd :rolleyes:

Gees, tough crowd :rolleyes:

Well, y'know, it's important to have standards ! As high-falutin' rangefinder users we'd like to think of ourselves as a cut above people who shoot cameras that have just VIEWFINDERS, or, god forbid, SLR users !

(You'll notice I haven't mentioned TLRs here. Beneath contempt. Pfff. they need TWO lenses to take a shot. Losers.)

Well, y'know, it's important to have standards ! As high-falutin' rangefinder users we'd like to think of ourselves as a cut above people who shoot cameras that have just VIEWFINDERS, or, god forbid, SLR users !

(You'll notice I haven't mentioned TLRs here. Beneath contempt. Pfff. they need TWO lenses to take a shot. Losers.)

Fair point well made!

I take it you've been to rangefinderforum.com ;)

Fair point well made!

I take it you've been to rangefinderforum.com ;)

Why of course ! A regular there ... under a ... uhhh ... pseudonym of some description !

Just don't tell them that the only cameras I have in my bag at the moment are my gakkenflex* and my FE-2. Shhhhh.

*which is a toy plastic camera AND a TLR. Mannn they'd hate that :D

They wouldn't be happy about the FE-2 either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

I do usually hate flash, though I reckon its better to buy an XA with a flash rather than without. It is useful sometimes and I have found that the tones and light from it are quite natural. Absolutely no red eye in low light people shots (as I found out from taking snaps in th pub). The light from the flash seems quite soft and natural rather than the usual glaring white light you usually get from compacts. I have the A11 flash and find it suprisingly good. Though obviously available light is far nicer :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Fajitas! wrote: »

It's my second one after my first one got soaked in beer and dropped too many times jammed up.

I saw you pick that one up on adverts. I wanted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I just got a Yashica Electro 35 G mk1 in mint condition! waiting on a new battery, It just needs the viewfinder cleaned a bit to brighten it up

I have an Olympus XA2 but I'd prob get the XA4 next rather than the XA with rangefinder.
    If I was to get another rangefinder it would be a Canonet QL17 GIII

http://www.butkus.org/
    whats the proper pronunciation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

Before this becomes another cult of the canonet yabba dabba do thread :P.
    here are some alternatives I use.

My favourite and stalwart : simply amazing lens wrapped up in a tiny package with exposure lock ( one of few that do this) and so much fun for street.

The Konica Auto S3 http://www.cameraquest.com/kons3.htm

some results from this camera :
    4160501535_d7c3cd9669_m.jpg

3769550231_271423f352_m.jpg

I am not going to ignore the Voitlander Vito's : http://licm.org.uk/livingImage/VitoB.html

I have a small collection of the different models and each one is fantastic, built like tanks with huge bright rangefinders and so easy to use. make sure you get the case with one as the strap lugs are impossible!! you need a case....
    The colour rendition from the lens is amazing .. these are still very cheap on Ebay and places and rarely go wrong. most have the f/2.8 color skopar lens which is beautiful. There is a f/2 Ultron which is raved about and pricey .. just got my hands on one and awaiting results. some results with various vito's all color skopar lens.

3756194556_11de1e1ef3_m.jpg
    2868587644_57327ca7c6_m.jpg
    3376749761_3dca36fb25_m.jpg

Finally: As a TLR user too, I noted the earlier sentiment with amusement

Two lens, still only one eye ... plus they are great for boinking the anti-tlr brigade on the head three stooges style ..till they understand why TLR's will never go away .. but that is another thread .. I wonder how many other TLR users are lurking out there.

Simplicius wrote: »
    I wonder how many other TLR users are lurking out there.

(me)

Simplicius wrote: »
    Two lens, still only one eye ... plus they are great for boinking the anti-tlr brigade on the head three stooges style ..till they understand why TLR's will never go away .. but that is another thread .. I wonder how many other TLR users are lurking out there.

I only have the two :D
    Assuming the gakkenflex counts, it's like the vivitar UWS of the tlr world. My other one is a Yashica mat 124g though. Fantastic camera, and the one which has taken a few of my favourite MF images. Criminally underused at the current time because my SQa is the one that gets dragged out nowadays to shoot 120.

• Advertisement

I'm sure we could start our own TLR Lovin' thread if we wanted and leave this to the RF's :pac:

Does this qualify as a rangefinder and should I bid - should I even show you RF lot in case you outbid me :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Does this qualify as a rangefinder and should I bid - should I even show you RF lot in case you outbid me :eek:

Postage seems a bit steep, looks like a rangefinder

and while I'm here, heres the Fed 5, do have an Yashica Electro 35 GSN also
    FAE08307B5364204882C6CA9F59E0AF9-500.jpg

shipping cost seems expensive, maybe ask if theres a cheaper option.

I wouldnt personally use a range finder slower than f/2 unless it was very small like an olympus xa

If the meter&shutter speeds are working and the rangefinder window isnt clouded up it seems like a good price, thats if you are the only bidder.

imo heres a better purchase option

http://cgi.ebay.ie/YASHICA-ELECTRO-35-GSN-CAMERA-GOOD-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ280440582196QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_Film_Cameras_ET?hash=item414b8fb034#ht_1029wt_1167

its 'buy it now with' paypal, seller has only 2 feedbacks and appears to be genuine, but transaction should be covered by paypal anyway. its not listed internationally but the seller will more than likely send to Ireland, he has Uk as an option and its coming from pakistan.

• Advertisement

imo heres a better purchase option

I dunno. The enlarged photos of it are not great. It looks like it has rust spots on it.

I dunno. The enlarged photos of it are not great. It looks like it has rust spots on it.

thats not rust, it comes off very easily. wont effect operation anyway

don't think i'd go with a seller with such a low rating

or maybe i'm missing the sarcasm :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Put my first roll of film in my Canonet the other day, can't wait to see the results. :D

don't think i'd go with a seller with such a low rating

or maybe i'm missing the sarcasm :pac:

if its something rare and priced too low and only a bank transfer is available than no, but I'm sure the 2 other buyers(both from Uk, 1 a 5yr 100% record member) of different model yashica cameras that bought from that seller in the past are happy that they did. they took a risk then but imo the risk for a buyer now of this particular item is negligible.

if its something rare and priced too low and only a bank transfer is available than no, but I'm sure the 2 other buyers(both from Uk, 1 a 5yr 100% record member) of different model yashica cameras that bought from that seller in the past are happy that they did. they took a risk then but imo the risk for a buyer now of this particular item is negligible.

I guess since paypal are offering protection you won't loose out if things don't go right. It used to be a bit different with sellers with low ratings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Yashicia electro 35gsn anybody? yes or no?

Spotted one for £35 so I think i might get it if its any good :)

landyman wrote: »
    Yashicia electro 35gsn anybody? yes or no?

Spotted one for £35 so I think i might get it if its any good :)

Takes good photos, good lens on it, very quiet leaf shutter, metering seems to very good even in near dark conditions, viewfinder is good, frame lines move as you focus

Negatives would be no manual mode

Lack of manual would be a rather large negative to me tbh.

In other news, have new Olympus 35RC to play with tomorrow. Win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Just bought a Vivatar 35ES (basically a clone of the Konica S3) for 45 pounds from a classic camera dealer in the UK :D:D

Mint condition with case, instructions and filters. win :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement