Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfering .com domain - they want a 35 euro fee?

Options
  • 16-12-2009 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

hey, the current host want 35euro before they release a domain that i want to transfer to BN, is this allowed under ICANN rules? Rather than request a transfer and incur the fee, is it advisable to not renew the current domain registration fee and when it drops in a few month just renew the domain name with BN?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Hi

The ICANN rules leave some leeway in this area
    http://www.icann.org/en/transfers/policy-en.htm

In any case, the company you are trying to move from is not an ICANN accredited registrar, so we will be contacting the sponsoring registrar to assist you.

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

If you don't renew someone could grab it before you get to it.
    Not the typical response from my dealings with registrars though.

If you don't renew someone could grab it before you get to it.

Yes - it's a risk.
    Not the typical response from my dealings with registrars though.

Which?

Well mainly if i was looking after a domain, I'd have access to it on both sides or a contact who would.

Why, OP, do you not have access to your own domain?
    On your own control panel is there not an option to unlock yourself?
    Are they charging to for them to go onto your control panel to unlock for you or to actually give you the option to unlock?

Well mainly if i was looking after a domain, I'd have access to it on both sides or a contact who would.

Why, OP, do you not have access to your own domain?
    On your own control panel is there not an option to unlock yourself?
    Are they charging to for them to go onto your control panel to unlock for you or to actually give you the option to unlock?
    Some registrars / resellers have "odd" policies about this sort of thing.
    Unfortunately the OP is dealing with one of them

• Advertisement

So it's not that they charging to do the work for him/her, its that they are charging for the 'right' to transfer

We're in contact with the actual registrar, so hopefully we'll be able to get this resolved

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

huge thanks to the blacknight gang for their help with this issue, i eventually got the transfer code from tucows and the domain transfer is happening as i type.

emerald007 wrote: »
    huge thanks to the blacknight gang for their help with this issue, i eventually got the transfer code from tucows and the domain transfer is happening as i type.
    Glad we were able to help. Just FYI the issue wasn't with Tucows, but with one of their resellers. We raised the issue with Tucows directly and they were able to resolve it

Michele

Advertisement