Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip-Hop 2010

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Drake is meant to have his album out late 2010 too, can't wait for that one

i've been critical of Drake on this forum, but i suppose i will give it a listen when it drops....but he's jst not my cup of bovril

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Sadat X will be dropping Wild Cowboys II in February...

production from:
    9th Wonder, DJ Spinna, Pete Rock, Diamond D, Buckwild, Will Tell, and Grant Parks.

Guest rappers will include Lord Jamar, Grand Puba, A.G., Rhymefest, Ill Bill, Kurupt, Umi, and Dead Prez’ M1.

I'm a huge fan of Wild Cowboys, great album so it would be interesting to hear this. Seen a live performance on t'internet somewhere of Sadat X recently and it was dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Authentic

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    it's one i'm looking forward to as well

another one is Freeway and Jake One "The Stimulus Package". Here's the first single:

glad someone mentioned this...jake one has been on top of his game lately and freeway never fails to prevail

anyways, aside from the stimulus package i cant wait to peep the following:

lupe fiasco-LASERS
    nas and marley- distant relatives
    eminem-relapse 2
    j.cole-untitled
    bishop lamont-the confessional

ps-for anyone expecting dre`s detox...come on get a grip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

New Plan B tune, I am sorry but this does nothing for me, hopefully the album which drops in March is better:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Looking forward to Joe Budden - The Great Escape, he released a couple of tracks which aren't even on the album and their fire imo, his delivery has improved bigtime

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Joey's Great escape.
    Nas and Damian Marley's album sounds epic from the little snippest leaked.

Looking forward to Durrty Goodz Born Blessed too, Ultra sound ****es all over every other grime record last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I forgot there's a new Roots album this year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Seaneh wrote: »
    Joey's Great escape.
    Nas and Damian Marley's album sounds epic from the little snippest leaked.

Looking forward to Durrty Goodz Born Blessed too, Ultra sound ****es all over every other grime record last year.

I didn't care for Ultrasound that much. The production didn't do anything for me. Axiom EP was ****ing deadly though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

I didn't care for Ultrasound that much. The production didn't do anything for me. Axiom EP was ****ing deadly though.
    Listening to that Axiom EP for the first time at the moment, Jesus Christ its unreal!
    Durty Goodz is one of the most nimble emcees ive ever heard, tears every beat to shreads! I have to start listening Grime more :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The new Reflection Eternal mixtape is pretty exceptional.

Am also feeling the Madlib/Guilty Simpson collab.

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    Been listening to this all day and loving it. A first i was a bit annoyed with all the Statik Selekta mixtape shout out nonsense but thank jebus that all fizzles out.

Oh yeah....a 30 track EP, must be a first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

+2 very good mixtape

New Big Pooh/Black Milk mixtape out, new Jay Elec mixtape on the way.

Rob Swift will be dropping a new album, here's a song from it:

Also, here's the lead off RJD2's upcoming album The Collosus

I really like the song...and video :)

RJD2 album is out.

New Dessa album is coming out next week, here's the first single

That's out as well I might add.

Anyone else think the horn sample on that RJD2 signle sounds ****e?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

New Dessa album is coming out next week, here's the first single

I think Sims has an album coming out this year too. Doomtree are just about the only hip hop i listen to now. Quality.

Anyone else think the horn sample on that RJD2 signle sounds ****e?

:(:(:(:(

2040 wrote: »
    I think Sims has an album coming out this year too. Doomtree are just about the only hip hop i listen to now. Quality.

The Sims album was supposed to come out last year but got pushed back to this year. He released a False Hopes instead last year which is excellent.

In other Doomtree news, Lazerbeak will be releasing an album called Lava Bangers. Brilliant album title

Cecil Otter will be releasing an album through Strange Famous.

Paper Tiger is releasing 20 min mixtapes regularly enough.

There will probably be another false hopes around Blowout time in Decemeber as well as usual.

• Advertisement

This Dessa album is great, fantastic lyrics and production.

Sexiest woman in rap I reckon. :eek::eek:

The Big Boi album is not out till March 23rd for those who are waiting for iit. :(

RJD2 album is out.

It's not bad at all, but a very safe album. Not like deadringer where you dont know what to expect next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

Just ordered my copy there. I've been listening to a few songs off it on youtube. I've a feeling it's going to be beautiful.

2040 wrote: »
    Just ordered my copy there. I've been listening to a few songs off it on youtube. I've a feeling it's going to be beautiful.

Beautiful is a word i would use to describe it, let's hope it lives up to your expectations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Lupe Fiasco
    Big Boi (This was due over 2 years ago)
    Andre 3000
    Kanye
    Common

Normally, I'd be squealing with excitement at a new Nas album, but apparently it's a half hiphop/reggae album with Damian Marley. Not something I'd really be interested in. Might give it a listen nonetheless.

Blisterman wrote: »

Normally, I'd be squealing with excitement at a new Nas album, but apparently it's a half hiphop/reggae album with Damian Marley. Not something I'd really be interested in. Might give it a listen nonetheless.

The bit i've heard of this so far sound great, i think it's going to suprise alot of people (in a good way)

Methinks Dessa spent a lot of time listening to Jean Grae.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Blisterman wrote: »
    Lupe Fiasco
    Big Boi (This was due over 2 years ago)
    Andre 3000
    Kanye
    Common

Really? I don't think i've been this excited about an album for years. Here's the first song, and its pretty good.

I've really gotten into Jr Gong this year, love everything he's done, particularly when working with his brother stephen (who's also involved with this album). I think K'naan is involved as well, so its all looking good.

Here's a few more Jr Gong tracks to whet your appetite

Forgot how good this was!

And this...

• Advertisement

Basho Basho - Kidkanevil

Mixture of 8-Bit/Hip-Hop/Ambient/Electronic. With loads of Japanese samples.

Review:
    For all the ills that technology can cause in music (see: Auto-tune), there is no denying its positive impacts. It helps music progress, and stay fresh and relevant. U.K. producer and DJ, Kidkanevil, understands this and embraces technology. His electronic-driven brand of hip-hop is not only some of the most forward-thinking, but some of the most exciting. On his latest instrumental album, Basho Basho, Kidkanevil takes old ideas, repackages them, and represents them musically.

It’s no surprise that one of the greatest influences here has to do with Japan, seeing as how Kidkanevil will often go so far as to cite his hometown as Tokyorkshire, a clever play on words. Many of the tracks here play off glitchy videogame-like samples of the Nintendo-era, particularly on the album’s centerpiece, “Drunken Master” (an ode to karate). Then there are the sugar-sweet bells and whistles of J-Pop that are thrown into the mix on various tracks. Kidkanevil is at his best when the beats never really materialize but rather simply exist in abstraction, which is the case on quite a few cuts.

Another idea that Kidkanevil experiments with is ambient music. Stealing from Brian Eno circa Music For Airports, Kidkanevil interprets his own brand of ambient music, with some tracks riding breezily over clicks and minimalist beats, and others maintaining rhythm without an actual drum track. “Land of Plenty, Boshuka 2” is likely the best ambient piece here, allowing the listener to drift away in the music.

Despite its attempt to pull away from traditional hip-hop, listeners will surely find numerous connections. First there is the delightful sampling at work, a sure staple of hip-hop and electronic music. Check out the fine Slum Village sample on “Minjo”. Then there is the steady boom-bap that works its way into certain songs, only to disappear momentarily. Overall, Basho Basho has Kidkanevil taking the appropriate steps in his advancement of music, while remaining accessible and delightfully enjoyable.

Advertisement