Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System for graphic/web design

Options
  • 16-12-2009 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Hello chaps,

I'm looking at replacing my trusty old Shuttle XPC XP2800 as it fast approaches it's 6th year of faithful service.

It will be mainly used for work purposes so it'll be running apps like Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign etc. For this reason power is more important than pretty framerates, so I'm not too fussed about top of the line graphics cards.

I'm based in the UK at the moment so I'm looking at spending £600-£700 (roughly €700).

This Acer PC is available from ebuyer.com for £644 / €722.

Specs:

Intel i7-860 Ci7 2.80GHz
    6GB RAM
    750GB HDD
    DVDRW
    GMA X4500

Which looks good to me but I've been out of the PC-building loop for a coupla years now and would appreciate your opinions.

My main question is: is it value for money? I've built many PC's in the past but would rather just have it working out of the box this time - however if a large saving could be made in building it myself, I would certainly consider it.

Before anyone suggests it: No, a Mac is not an option.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

PiE wrote: »
    Before anyone suggests it: No, a Mac is not an option.
    Good Man! Now get a Mac, and install Linux on it :P

I assume from your selection that you can recycle the monitor and peripherals and that you need Hyperthreading. If you don't need hyperthreading, replace the CPU here with an i5 750. I also am assuming that you require lots of the Ramz for Photophail and all that jazz, but feel free to drop the ram below to only 4GB if need be.

CPU:
    I7 860

CPU Cooler (Seriously, the Stock fan is Crap):

No, I'm Serious, it cannot even handle it at stock settings let alone overclocked...
    AC7 Pro

Mobo:
    GA-P55M-UD2

Ramz:
    8GB of Sexy Sexy Kingston ValuRamz!

Case:
    Coolermaster Elite 341 MATX Case

DVD:
    Zomg T3h Bland OEM Driev!

HDD:
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

PSU:
    Corsair 400W CX

Graphics:
    Asus HD 4350 Silent 1GB (Hey, it's better than using a crappy integrated chipset :P)

Order Total: £616.03 including shipping
    EDIT: I noticed you are in the UK, in which case congrats it's only £601.46 you lucky sod! Splurge on some fans too for the extra fan holes in the case and you have spent the same amount for much better hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Many thanks for the feedback.

To be honest, I'm not too sure if there's much of a need for the hyperthreading with Photoshop etc (there are a lot of articles online contradicting each other) - I'm more concerned with future-proofing the machine and the i7 looks to be the best bet for that.

You're saying that the individual components you've listed are all a step above the components in the Acer setup and it costs nearly 50 quid less - sounds good to me.

Any other opinions from anybody possibly in the same line of work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Make sure you get a decent gfx card for a start anyway.
    Either way though, I'd recommend Nvidia over ATI any day if doing graphics design and they have specific cards for design rather than gaming.

Photoshop also links in to CUDA if I remember rightly so another bonus from getting a Nvidia card.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

IIRC its only certain prototype filters that can utilize CUDA. Don't know if you have to pay for them...

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Make sure you get a decent gfx card for a start anyway.

Either way though, I'd recommend Nvidia over ATI any day if doing graphics design and they have specific cards for design rather than gaming.

I'm no expert on the tech side but that goes against everything I've ever heard/read about Photoshop - I've always been led to believe that Photoshop is almost entirely CPU/RAM dependent. The new zooming features in CS4 can use the GPU memory for smoother performance but thats not a big issue atm. For this reason I would prefer to stick with a cheaper graphics card to keep the bulk of the budget for the CPU - I can always upgrade the gfx card easily in future.

• Advertisement

I'm more concerned with future-proofing the machine and the i7 looks to be the best bet for that.
    headdesk.png
    "Future Proof" and "Computer" have no reason to ever be used together :P Whatever you buy now will be outdated rubbish in 3 to 6 months. That's just how it is :P On the flip side, HT can be disabled, so once Photophail starts to use 8 threads properly, you can re-enable it I suppose.
    You're saying that the individual components you've listed are all a step above the components in the Acer setup and it costs nearly 50 quid less - sounds good to me.
    A Step above and then some :)

As for the CUDA comments, CUDA will be dead in a few years anyway if them open source bullies get their way ;)

If it's half as future-proof as my last build I'll be happy ;x

Bump for one last Q - do any of the big suppliers (especially eBuyer) have New Year Sales?

I can wait a week if they do!

Bump for one last Q - do any of the big suppliers (especially eBuyer) have New Year Sales?

I can wait a week if they do!
    No idea :P Might as well wait a week anyway to see :P

Advertisement