Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New low cost data centres??

• 16-12-2009 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

According to Mr. John Dwyer (MS Data Centre Manager, EMEA) - because of the mild weather in Ireland, Microsoft's new €500m data centre doesn't use cooling machines - apparently the cost of powering the cooling machines is close to 40% of the electricity charges.

Instead of using costly cooling machines they simply use air vents to release hot air and bring in cool air.

They also don't bother with raised floors.

Microsoft are BIG players and when they do something, you can be sure that they've completed their research. It would appear that the main reason for the raised floors, cooling machines etc. is due to the outdated data-centre standards.

Will this new cost effective data centre design be the template of the future?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah I saw that a while ago. With the weather the way it is 80% of the time in this country no wonder they picked here.

However, there are cooler places in the world so no sure why we are special

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Thats all great now - wait til global warming hits!

Google has also done this earlier this year in Belgium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭nohopengn

Zascar wrote: »
    Yeah I saw that a while ago. With the weather the way it is 80% of the time in this country no wonder they picked here.

I'm not 100% sure - could be a combination of a lot of wind, highest temp never exceeds 33-34 and it never gets too cold....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

yeah friend of mine works there.. we was waffleing on about it to me a few weeks ago.. Think they still have to cool the air they bring in.. From what i hear its gonna have tonnes of equipment.. its gonna get fairly warm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Zascar wrote: »

No extreme cold, no extreme heat. Both of which bring about there own problems.

Data hub for Europe

Data hub for US

Reliable power grid(in comparison to most other countries)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

nohopengn wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure - could be a combination of a lot of wind, highest temp never exceeds 33-34 and it never gets too cold....

Weather conditions are a bonus. But I think the work done and being done by Hibernia Atlantic is a huge bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Ireland is a great location for data centres. We are a bridging point between Europe and the USA. The mild weather only makes it easier to run a data centre. The only thing stopping them is the cost of labour and rent probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ireland is a great location for data centres. We are a bridging point between Europe and the USA. The mild weather only makes it easier to run a data centre. The only thing stopping them is the cost of labour and rent probably.

Which in a time like this is actually coming down. Thats another big plus.

Advertisement