Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson W995 Wi-fi Error

• 16-12-2009 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I recently bought a new sony ericsson w995. its a crackin phone but i am getting an error when i try to use the wi-fi. it says "Communication error. Turn off Wi-fi or contact your provider for support", the normal internet works fine but its when i try to connect via Wi-Fi. it connects to to the wifi connection perfectly but when i go to browse it wont work.
    I have tried my provider (three) but they cant seem to figure it out. I have also tried using Opera Mini but its giving me the same error.
    Anyone had a similar problem?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Chances are its a setting of some description on your router. Remove the WEP key, or if their is mac filtering, disable it, then create a new connection on the phone, dont just launch the browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Has it been able to connect to an open wifi network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

pres wrote: »
    I recently bought a new sony ericsson w995. its a crackin phone but i am getting an error when i try to use the wi-fi. it says "Communication error. Turn off Wi-fi or contact your provider for support", the normal internet works fine but its when i try to connect via Wi-Fi. it connects to to the wifi connection perfectly but when i go to browse it wont work.
    I have tried my provider (three) but they cant seem to figure it out. I have also tried using Opera Mini but its giving me the same error.
    Anyone had a similar problem?
    Cheers

Are you trying to connect to Planet 3 using wifi, because it will only conncet using 3G / H. Everything else will conncet using wifi, nothing 3 related though. Alsoyou have to switch wifi off to connect to 3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

You do not have to turn your wifi off to connect to 3 just ensure you do not have your wifi connected to any network. How exactly are you trying to connect to the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 pres

i brought the phone back last night to the carphone warehouse and they rang three to ask what the story was. Three told him that its happening in 2 in 10 w995 handsets so he replaced it for me....brought it home....still happening. I have downloaded Opera Mini and tried connecting the wifi that way but its still not working, it fails to make a connection. i have tried it on 3 different networks and has given me the same problem each time. would you say its settings on the phone that needs to be changed or is it a Three thing or what? cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

pres wrote: »
    i brought the phone back last night to the carphone warehouse and they rang three to ask what the story was. Three told him that its happening in 2 in 10 w995 handsets so he replaced it for me....brought it home....still happening. I have downloaded Opera Mini and tried connecting the wifi that way but its still not working, it fails to make a connection. i have tried it on 3 different networks and has given me the same problem each time. would you say its settings on the phone that needs to be changed or is it a Three thing or what? cheers

You cannot connect to 3 or My 3 or anything 3 related using wifi...... ok..... I have the same phone, it will not connect........ end of.........

but it will connect to normal websites using the following method..........

Switch on wifi and connect to your network, next.....

Go to shortcuts ( bottom left button beside call button),
    now scroll right to 'internet',
    next scroll down to 'enter address'.
    Manually type in address you want like google or whatever

Now your connected using wifi and not using your '3' flexi units, this can be verified later when you disconnect 'wifi' and check 'My 3'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 pres

thanks. i'll try that. i would have thought using Opera Mini and clickin on google would have been by passing the Three thing as i download Opera seperately. i'll check when i get a chance
    Cheers

Advertisement