Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egg Poacher

Options
  • 16-12-2009 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wondering does anyone know where I'd find an egg poacher in Galway City?
    I looked in Dunnes home store but they didn't have one. I'm new to the city so don't know where any home stores are.

I don't care if it's a plastic cheap little thing..I'm hoping to find one by tonight!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Don't bother with one. Complete waste of money.

Boil water in a pot. Do NOT add salt (salt stops the egg from "setting"). Add about a tablespoon of vinegar (this sets the egg).

Stir the water until it is swirling and when the water is at a rolling boil, take it off the heat. When the bubbling stops, immediately add your egg (with the water still swirling). Give it two to three minutes to cook and take it out.

Practice it once or twice. At first you will likely make a complete and utter mess.:D Very shortly thereafter, with a bit of persistence, you'll have it. Give yourself ten minutes and three eggs to throw away, to master it.

Good luck!

By the way nothing better than Eggs Benedict for an impressive breakfast and homemade Hollandaise is very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Anthony Ryan's Homeware do them.... In town. Just off shop street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

churchview wrote: »

Boil water in a pot. Do NOT add salt (salt stops the egg from "setting"). Add about a tablespoon of vinegar (this sets the egg).

Stir the water until it is swirling and when the water is at a rolling boil, take it off the heat. When the bubbling stops, immediately add your egg (with the water still swirling). Give it two to three minutes to cook and take it out.

Practice it once or twice. At first you will likely make a complete and utter mess.:D Very shortly thereafter, with a bit of persistence, you'll have it. Give yourself ten minutes and three eggs to throw away, to master it.
    Got there before me churchview! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

churchview wrote: »

Good luck!

By the way nothing better than Eggs Benedict for an impressive breakfast and homemade Hollandaise is very easy.

Oh Churchview, thank you for making it sound so easy!
    I have tried so many times to make the damn things. My friend in work suggested the cling film method where you put clingfilm in a cup and encase the egg but I f*cked it up. I just can't do it!

I'm making Christmas dinner etc this year and want to impress with eggs benedict but I knwo I'll end up throwing the saucepan at my dad while screaming 10 boxes of broken eggs!!

Sigh...I guess I'll just keep trying (breaking) and hoping get there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Why can't you get the clingfilm method to work, you just take a piece of clingfilm, put it in a cup/ramekin, and crack an egg into it, then wrap it. What am I missing? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

screw eggs benedict for breakfast, frankly, if you're having trouble with the poached eggs. Too much stress.

impressive breakfast is all about presentation anyway.

pancakes or waffles are incredibly easy, but kind of boring looking.

So present them well. berries, a twist of orange, a fanned out sliced strawberry, and dusted with icing sugar.

You've got enough on your mind if you're making Christmas dinner - make things a bit easier on yourself.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hate the vinegar method, makes for a vinegary tough layer on the outside. I usually just boil the water, remove from ring and then break the eggs into a cup and then slide them into the water. Takes about a minute longer than if you leave it on the heat but no mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

Xiney wrote: »
    screw eggs benedict for breakfast, frankly, if you're having trouble with the poached eggs. Too much stress.

impressive breakfast is all about presentation anyway.

pancakes or waffles are incredibly easy, but kind of boring looking.

So present them well. berries, a twist of orange, a fanned out sliced strawberry, and dusted with icing sugar.

You've got enough on your mind if you're making Christmas dinner - make things a bit easier on yourself.

Yeah, that's a lovely idea. My sister can't cook at all so I hav eto do everything and it's proving to be quite stressful. I love cooking and I love sippingon wine with some music on in the background but for Christmas the pressure is on...

brianthebard...that's what I mean, a seemingly foolproof method and I messed it up somehow, all the white stuck to the clingfilm and it spilled out! I'm usually a good cook but poached eggs are my nemesis!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Your all way off the mark she was obviously looking for someone to steal eggs for her. I know just the man. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Waffles are good. The only thing I don't like about pancakes (unless you have an aga and a pancake griddle) is having to do them in batches and keeping them warm.

My 'popularity poll breakfast' involves toasting artisan bread, getting some fresh fruit and juices ready..

Depends how many you're serving but sautee any number of these (to your preference) in a pan - baby tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, chopped veggie/gourmet meat saussies, a shallot/nice onion. Cook a bit, Then add in some salted/peppered beaten eggs with some mixed herbs and sour cream folded in. Barely cook on the cooker then grate on a ton of gouda/cheddar and finish off in the oven /under the grill. It should puff up and be all golden.

Serve in slices with the artisan bread, yummy jam and the fruit.

You could also add diced spuds if you have leftovers.

It involves a bit of chopping but the rest is easy. takes 20 mins tops

• Advertisement

oh man, french toast!

I forgot about french toast. It's deadly... haven't made it in years actually. hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I *now* love French toast, but have to admit, it took me a while..
    Irish people seem slow to warm to French toast, I've found from experience.

I have to be in a sugar-y mood I suppose.

*ponders making it in the morning as I have a big pressie bottle of gin-ewe-ine maple syrup to go with it* :)

I always used to eat french toast plain, nice and salty.

nowadays I like it with maple syrup every once in a while I guess.

But I still like it plain best.

(And I just remembered why I haven't made French Toast in years.... hard to get the proper bread here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

Love french toast made it a few days ago and love pancakes! don't consider either boring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jellylegz

I'll steal a few eggs for u if your stuck, my neighbour has hens and the eggs are awful tasty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Beetlebum wrote: »

brianthebard...that's what I mean, a seemingly foolproof method and I messed it up somehow, all the white stuck to the clingfilm and it spilled out! I'm usually a good cook but poached eggs are my nemesis!

You might want to coat the clingfilm with oil and leave the eggs in the water for a minute or two extra.

Advertisement