Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Least tolerant: 1. Northern Ireland 37%, 2. Italy 28%, 3. Ireland 27%

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This done in 2000, not much seems to have changed with guys ending up dead all the time these days.
    What deaths?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As the stats are 9 years old, could you provide newer stats that GLB people are still being hated at the same level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I'd like to see a more recent one done, like i live in UCD and get called ****** every now and again but they're just culchies but really I don't think people care

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    I'd like to see a more recent one done, like i live in UCD and get called ****** every now and again but they're just culchies but really I don't think people care

Of course people care - UCDSU have an LGBT Rights officer

http://www.ucdsu.ie/campaigns/lgbt/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Of course people care - UCDSU have an LGBT Rights officer

http://www.ucdsu.ie/campaigns/lgbt/

as in :p I don't think most people care about having gay neighbours,but personally I don't care about these people, i'll call them up on it some day and embarass them outta it.

• Advertisement

Oh ok - sorry I understand better now

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Those survey results are almost a decade old. A decade where a lot of positive changes have happened for the LGBT community in Ireland.

I'd say that the NI and Italy figures haven't changed all that much. I was actually surprised that they weren't higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

I wouldn't want my neighbors to be "homosexuals"

This done in 2000, not much seems to have changed with guys ending up dead all the time these days.

I'd find it hard o believe that attitudes towards gay people in Ireland havent improved since then.
    KeyLimePie wrote: »

Thats terrible, hope you give them hell for it. I so sad to think that seemingly educated people would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

cotwold wrote: »
    I'd find it hard o believe that attitudes towards gay people in Ireland havent improved since then.

Yeah, definetly agree.
    cotwold wrote: »
    Thats terrible, hope you give them hell for it. I so sad to think that seemingly educated people would do that.

Me and cotwold will go beat em up for ye ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

slidergeek wrote: »
    Those survey results are almost a decade old. A decade where a lot of positive changes have happened for the LGBT community in Ireland.

I'd say that the NI and Italy figures haven't changed all that much. I was actually surprised that they weren't higher.

Last years Equality Commission report showed that 23% of those surveyed in NI would mind having a lesbian or gay man as a neighbour. 35% would mind if a family member married a lesbian or gay man. So increase in the "acceptability" of lesbians and gay men.... just not in my family thank you!

I've lived in NI for 8 years now and have to say have never had any been on the receiving end of homophpbia. I do think things are changing.... albeit slowly at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Irish people homophobic? Wow im so not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

slidergeek wrote: »

I wouldn't assume that suddenly every hetero in Ireland is a card-carrying tolerancefest either. People are still getting the c**p kicked out of them in cities every weekend, lots of folk are still afraid to be out at work, and I can only assume that their judgment is good enough for it to be for reasonable fears.

GCN do a readers survey every year that gives some idea of the kind of confidence level that there is in Ireland (although I would say its probably a bit selective since there is some evidence that media surveys don't reflect the community in its widest forms). Unfortunately they don't keep the full results on the web, but I recall that the numbers out at work (which to me are a strong indication of confidence) were less than 50%. Also there is still a hardcore element of opposition, which while small, is both vocal and active in lobbying against us.

There is a brief summary of GCN's profile here. Bear in mind that this is a reader profile rather than a reflective survey of Irish gay folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Regarding NI this might have been done to piss off free-presbyterian loyalists but was a good gesture anyway

gaypride_6835t.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

Ah tbh i don't think that many irish people are homophobic.
    i've had and still do have mates who in the past have said something one may consider 'homophobic' but when i told them i was gay they simply went "are ya? oh right fair f**ks to ya" end.
    Then there's one mate of mine, one of my best mates to be exact who says things i know people would and some have even said to me are 'homophobic' he knows im gay, i frequently hang out with him, his seen me with another man.
    I think people fail to realise that half the time its just people taking the mick. i find that when my mates joke around about it, it means they accept it.
    if the census was taken nowadays i'm sure they'd be a higher 'tolerance'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Nebit wrote: »
    i've had and still do have mates who in the past have said something one may consider 'homophobic' but when i told them i was gay they simply went "are ya? oh right fair f**ks to ya" end.

Good point. I think a lot of hetero males would find gay jokes funny/would use mildly homophobic language every now and then, but at the end of the day aren't homophobic at all. I can't think of any hetero person I know who would refuse to hire a gay person or who would treat a gay person unfairly.

Most of my gay friends are really defensive and obsessed with their sexuality so they perceive many innocent things as attacks or homophobia.

BTW I've answered a few surveys in the past, and they always word the questions really oddly. For example, most hetero people would answer "family" if asked "would you rather live next door to a family or a gay couple?", but that doesn't mean most people are homophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

I don't know about the north, but I find Ireland remarkably tolerant (I say remarkable considering the influence of the church) at least in the cities. I am not sure about the countryside.

I never considered this until moving to London, where I have been on the receiving end of far more abuse and encountered a hell of a lot more homophobia than ever at home. The funny thing about it being that whenever I have talked to Londoners about it, they always presume that London must be so much more open minded than Dublin and are genuinely shocked when I tell them otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

Monkey61 wrote: »
    I don't know about the north, but I find Ireland remarkably tolerant (I say remarkable considering the influence of the church) at least in the cities. I am not sure about the countryside.

I never considered this until moving to London, where I have been on the receiving end of far more abuse and encountered a hell of a lot more homophobia than ever at home. The funny thing about it being that whenever I have talked to Londoners about it, they always presume that London must be so much more open minded than Dublin and are genuinely shocked when I tell them otherwise.

Yeah its weird when i think back to England it seems opposite to Ireland in that cities are less 'tolerant' but the countryside is grand for the most part.
    London has a greater population tho and chances are yes they do have a higher tolerance of homosexuals compared to Dublin.
    The difference i think is that Irish people are quite relaxed in nature so even if one had a problem they wouldn really say anything, whereas in england its very different.
    That said i think i would have 'come out' sooner had i still lived in England (moved back to ireland when i was 10)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Nebit wrote: »
    The difference i think is that Irish people are quite relaxed in nature so even if one had a problem they wouldn really say anything, whereas in england its very different.

I think you are right in this. There is a cultural difference between the Irish and the English where the English are far more direct whereas we tend to dress things up a bit and beat around the bush. Pros and cons to both but I guess it should mean that you are more likely to be verbally targetted in England.... here its more likely to happen behind our backs.

Advertisement