Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor want 3 opportunities to repair a phone before they'll replace?!!??

Options
  • 16-12-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

long story, bear with me, your advice would be appreciated -

bought a phone on meteor online for a present for my sis in August. Within a week she was having trouble with it - just kept cutting dead. Went to local meteor store, initially they wouldn't entertain her cos it was bought from online shop, but girl in there said she would arrange for a jiffy bag so sis could send it back. No jiffy bag arrived, sis went rang customer care, asked for one, no bag. So next time she was passing the meteor store she went in - saw the same girl. because this girl knew that she had asked for a jiffy bag etc etc she agreed to take in the phone as it was faulty. No replacement phone was offered. 10 days later phone back in shop, sis collected - the antenna was faulty and they had repaired it. but within 2 days same problem occurred - just cutting out mid call, not receiving signals etc etc.

By now she has been back to the store twice - not seen the same girl again as she has moved branch and the other staff refuse to take the phone in as it was bought online. Been through the rig marole of requesting jiffy bags numerous times, still none have arrived so we haven't even been given the opportunity to return the damn thing. Bear in mind this is going on since August.

Rang meteor today to give a bit of grief cos I am annoyed by the whole thing - I bought someone a pressie and it doesn't work and has caused them nothing but inconvenience and aggro.

The customer care staff insist that they have 3 opportunities to repair the phone - is this bullsh!t?? I know that the options are repair, replace or refund, but is there the opportunity that they can say, yes we have identified that the item is faulty, we have repaired it once, unsatisfactorily and now we want you to let us try twice more to repair an already identified faulty phone!!!!! surely this is not allowed - they have had the opportunity to repair, that was not successful, should they now not be obliged to offer a replacement??? do we have to accept this nonsense of 3 repairs? I am sure that their supplier would accept the phone back if it is faulty?

Also, they are still insisting that it be returned via jiffy bag to the online store. Surely, if it was bought from a registered meteor outlet it can be returned to any other meteor outlet? Is it not the same as buying in Henry street and returning it to Grafton street store? Especially given the hassle we have had in getting a damn jiffy bag! I offered that we would arrange for registered and insured post and pay for it ourselves if they would give it in writing to me that they would cover this cost - they refused! So now I am waiting for it to be escalated to the manager to see if he will agree to accept it into a store.

I am more concerned about this 3 repairs thing - any one able to advise on this? Can the have a set amounts of chances to repair it and cause you inconvenience while they are at it? Am I within my rights to insist at this stage for a replacement?

sorry for the long post - hope someone out there can help!

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Make a formal complint, in writing, to their head office.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Tarakiwa wrote: »
    Make a formal complint, in writing, to their head office.

Follow the formal complaint procedure. Give them as many days as the procedure says and then set Comreg on them if you do not have a working phone

http://www.meteor.ie/rubylith/files/code_of_practice.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The customer care staff insist that they have 3 opportunities to repair the phone - is this bullsh!t??

It is shop policy, and has no basis in law (or cannot effect your statutory rights, you are not bound by it). Any repair must be permanent, and if it isn't, then you have the right to seek alternate redress. If this fails, then you can use the Small Claims Court to get a refund or replacement phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭bobbi

You should be able to return it to the any meteor store for repair. :)

Maybe you need to direct the meteor staff to the website:

http://www.meteor.ie/support/onlinestorefaqs/

If your handset develops a fault beyond the initial 28 days after delivery you can also visit any Meteor store, who’ll send it for repair on your behalf free of charge

When returning your phone, remember to

* Send only the phone and charger, and not the whole pack.
    * Retain your SIM card.
    * Keep a record of your IMEI number – this is the unique 15 digit number that you’ll find printed behind your phone’s battery. - Include details of your name, address and contact information.
    * Please include details of the fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Under consumer law, you have a reasonable right to expect a repair to be permanent. Personally, I would expect something to be repaired correctly first time.

However, mobile phone shops seem to have this daft policy of attempting a repair 3 times. Given that this problem has been ongoing since August, I'd get a lot tougher with Meteor now.

You can let them attempt to repair the phone once more - if you do, take the information that bobbi has provided above into the store with you and get them to send it off for repair.

You could also decline further repair on the grounds that the first one wasn't permanent. Ask instead for a replacement or refund. If none is forthcoming, inform the shop that you will be taking a claim against them in the Small Claims Court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

thanks all for your replies - most of the information you have pointed out confirms my own view, I just wanted to see if others saw things as I do.

I was promised a call back yesterday - no joy. I am just about to put a call into customer care again, and I'll be firmly planting my foot this time. I'll let you know the outcome.

many thanks again!

Advertisement