Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sig deleted and changed without notification

Options
  • 16-12-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

was wondering if someone, hopefully a mod could explain to me why my signature was deleted and replaced with "Sig image too graphic, sorry, if it puts people off their dinner, then it's too graphic for a signature." , my sig image was this:
    99122.jpg

it was removed because it's too graphic, yet it is perfectly acceptable to post this: 695477-Mai-Lai-Massacre-0.jpg
    and this:
    Image-60516-250068-thighquangduc.jpg
    on this site.
    If this site is going to submit to censorship then let it at least be fair, the image in my sig was on the side of busses and billboards.

I firmly believe that this was removed because of an anti garda bias on this website. either way to remove someones sig without notification or warning is not acceptable in any way, and i will be changing it back until someone has the balls to stand up and contact me in relation to the signature.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I removed your signature due to the reasons I have provided, it has nothing to do with Gardai bias.

Your signature is tagged to every post you make, therefore will appear in every forum you post in, as opposed to an image that is posted within a post/thread. Therefore, I'd prefer if your signature image is acceptable to be posted within any and all fora on boards.

Moving this to Helpdesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Gordon wrote: »
    I removed your signature due to the reasons I have provided, it has nothing to do with Gardai bias.

Your signature is tagged to every post you make, therefore will appear in every forum you post in, as opposed to an image that is posted within a post/thread. Therefore, I'd prefer if your signature image is acceptable to be posted within any and all fora on boards.

Moving this to Helpdesk.

Lovely and can you inform me why you did this without first notifying me about the matter?

Moving this to Helpdesk.

also have any complaints been made in relation to this sig, or is it just your own opinion, if it was deemed suitable by the advertising commission to be placed on massive billboards and the side of busses, then surely it's suitable for here.

I don't inform people that I will be changing their signatures, it's up to you to make sure your sig is acceptable for general boards browsing.

If we were to inform everyone that their signature was unacceptable, too large, too sweary, too flashing, we would be spending too much time PMing users back and forth. If someone has a signature that should be changed, under your guidelines, a PM would be sent to them. But what if they didn't go online for some time and didn't receive the PM, how long is the appropriate time to snip the sig? Should I keep a personal text file/thread going updating who has changed their sig, who hasn't replied to sig PM, who has replied, what they said? No, sorry, it's up to you to keep your sig within acceptable guidelines, it's not up to us to keep tabs on users in that way.

Current sigrules are here btw.

Please remove that image from your signature as I have now had "the balls to contact [you] and inform [you] why it was removed." thanks.

foinse wrote: »
    it was deemed suitable by the advertising commission to be placed on massive billboards and the side of busses, then surely it's suitable for here.
    Interesting position there, I'll ask my fellow Admins and see if they think it's acceptable, I didn't realise the advertising commission deemed it acceptable for the general public.

But at least for now, I deem it unacceptable, so please remove it until I get back to you. Thanks.

• Advertisement

well gordon, you see, i have had an issue with my sig before, it was deemed too big, i got a pm from billy the squid, informing me of the fact and asking me to change it, which i did.

Might i suggest that you create some guidelines for mods so that issues are dealt with the same way every time.

Interesting position there, I'll ask my fellow Admins and see if they think it's acceptable, I didn't realise the advertising commission deemed it acceptable for the general public.

But at least for now, I deem it unacceptable, so please remove it until I get back to you. Thanks.

thank you very much, i have removed the sig, and await your reply on this matter.

foinse wrote: »
    well gordon, you see, i have had an issue with my sig before, it was deemed too big, i got a pm from billy the squid, informing me of the fact and asking me to change it, which i did.

Might i suggest that you create some guidelines for mods so that issues are dealt with the same way every time.
    Yeah, Billy is/was in the SigPo. They are users that like to see signatures kept to within specified rules. They may PM you to warn you about your sig if you're lucky, sometimes they don't PM though, and instead post on linked thread. So, there are no guidelines wrt notifying you of your sig breach, it's up to the users on SigPo if they wish to PM you, and if your sig is breaching the rules, I will snip it.

Hiya, the consensus is that the image is not appropriate for putting in your sig, sorry.

Bear in mind that your sig will follow your future, current and past posts as long as it exists, that image will be tagged on to every post you make. Whether it is on Afterhours or the Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows forum, the image will be tagged to your posts and users have no choice but to see that image, no matter what they may be eating at the time.

I must admit that I am surprised at the advertising commission seeing fit to allow such graphic images to be plastered around town while people are outside feeling the love and eating roast chestnuts and marshmallowed hot chocolate, but I guess that's up to them.

Hope that helps.

Gordon

Advertisement