Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ministerial Pensions

Options
  • 16-12-2009 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain why so many of our sitting TD's are earning not only their TD Salary but also a ministerial pension, Ahern being an example with his ex-taoiseach and ex-minister pensions.

Surely they should not be entitled to these pensions until they retire?

am i missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I agree with you 100%. These pensions should only come into being after they have left the Dail and after retirement age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

It's that way because they make up the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It's because they're technically retired.

Was a minister, no longer a minister=retired.

I agree completely though, and only ONE pension should be paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Can't figure out why this crap is still going on.

A pension to me should be only paid on cessation of work or retiring.

ninty9er wrote: »
    It's because they're technically retired.

Was a minister, no longer a minister=retired.
    Is that really how they see it?

If I'm a Senior X and I'm demoted to Junior X or just X, I don't receive a pension for being the Senior X before. I just get the salary for my new role.

I thought that you got a pension when you stopped working at everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I thought that you got a pension when you stopped working at everything.

I think a significant number of former Ministers still sitting as TDs would meet that criteria!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

How do these people keep a straight face when they meet the "public"

And then around election time they will talk about being "servants" of the people.

Very well paid, expensed, pensioned and generally mollycoddled "servants" of the people.

Is it any wonder that these people are so extravagant with public money when they are just coining it at every turn and "for what".

MikeC101 wrote: »
    I think a significant number of former Ministers still sitting as TDs would meet that criteria!
    Sorry, I should have worded that better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I remember the ex TD Tom Parlon on the last word a few years ago going on about pay in the construction industry since he became the CIF President.
    When Matt Cooper asked him about his ministerial pension he replied its nothing much really, it was later found out that his nothing much pension was in exess of 45k per year.
    The whole system is f**ked we need to overhaul it TDs holding onto teaching posts after becoming elected? this should be stopped if someone wants a career change and gets elected they should forfeit there teaching post upon been elected.
    i can only think of Dempsey/Hanafin&Kenny who are teachers in the main parties how many in total are there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

some of them get their Teachers pension as well.

Warning, before reading the above article, remove all sharp and throwable pbjects from you immediate vicinity:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Warning, before reading the above article, remove all sharp and throwable pbjects from you immediate vicinity:D

that article is absolutely shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

bamboozle wrote: »
    that article is absolutely shocking

none of which was addressed in the last budget either.

we need to reduce the number of TDs and cut down on their perks.

simples.

Don't forget that Hanfin also gets to keep the difference between her teaching salary and the salary paid to the teaching substitute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

How do these people get so much public money.

If they were on performance related pay then they would have to give us money.

Seriously these pensions should be suspended while these leeches are still earning a damn good wage and generous expenses.

Is it any wonder that they do not care how the economy is doing when they make such good money for doing damn all.

They are actually benefitting as they still have loads of money coming in and a lot of stuff is coming down in price.

They have had a lot to do with the down turn but are not actually suffering themselves:mad:

We need an Irish Bastille day to get the message home to these crooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Pity that article didn't name and shame members of the Opposition enjoying their Teachers Pensions and other crap. It's very important to emphasize that it hasn't been a FF feeding at the trough situation, rather it's something that's been enjoyed by TDs across the board.

nesf wrote: »
    Pity that article didn't name and shame members of the Opposition enjoying their Teachers Pensions and other crap. It's very important to emphasize that it hasn't been a FF feeding at the trough situation, rather it's something that's been enjoyed by TDs across the board.

I only know of enda kenny&finnian mc grath from the oposition who are teachers if someone could manage to find a list of all TDs who are still holding onto there positions i would like to know for when the next gen election comes around and i have them knocking on my door

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I only know of enda kenny&finnian mc grath from the oposition who are teachers if someone could manage to find a list of all TDs who are still holding onto there positions i would like to know for when the next gen election comes around and i have them knocking on my door

A fair few are on Ministerial Pensions no?

A fair few are on Ministerial Pensions no?

i think nda kenny is getting a ministerial pension from the time fine gael were in govt dont know of any other sitting TD

It's very important to emphasize that it hasn't been a FF feeding at the trough situation, rather it's something that's been enjoyed by TDs across the board.
    +1

No argument here. That's why no one has made any moves to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

as far as i know McGrath resigned his teaching post when elected, plus he took a voluntary 10% pay cut earlier this year, plus he publishes his expenses on his website
    his expenses in 2008 were 36k and 1st 6 months of 2009 were 12k

just as a preamble the man whose seat McGrath took in dublin north central, disgraced former junior minister and keen yachtman Ivor Callelly took advantage of Bertie's decision to appoint him to the seanad by posting expense of over 90k for 2008....travelling a whole 2.5 miles into kildare street from Clontarf must be fierce expensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

In the emergency budget Lenihan announced Ministerial pensions for sitting TD's were to be withdrawn. A few days later the Attorney General told the government it may not be legal to do so. Last I heard about it was a Government spokesman saying that the Attorney General is now looking at the issue in consultation with the Department of Finance and new legislation is being drafted. Unless something has happened since.

Advertisement