Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty UCD

Options
  • 16-12-2009 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

It really is getting terrible on campus... you can come into UCD from almost anywhere, even on a raining and horrid day, and arrive relatively clean... until you reach the muck pit that is the UCD campus!

The ongoing construction work (ongoing as long as I have been about the place since 1991) is blamed but this is a silly excuse especially as a lot of the filth is far away from these sites.

Come on UCD clean up, hardly the image of pioneering excellence when your visitors arrive with muck up their ankles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Are you lecturing? Or have you just repeated 15 times?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Not that dirty all imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

maybe its just me but does anyone find that the place especially some pathways are infested with rats. I suppose with all the building work theres not much more they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

ant043 wrote: »
    maybe its just me but does anyone find that the place especially some pathways are infested with rats. I suppose with all the building work theres not much more they can do.

Think i have only seen about 1 or 2 rats in my time there. Far more squirrels than rats. With such a huge green area that has several bodies of water, a tunnel system and plenty of warm areas there is bound to be a sizeable rodent population

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

Think i have only seen about 1 or 2 rats in my time there. Far more squirrels than rats. With such a huge green area that has several bodies of water, a tunnel system and plenty of warm areas there is bound to be a sizeable rodent population

yeah i suppose your right. But every morning walking on some of the pathways i usually see one of the feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

ant043 wrote: »

Yep. Especially in the bushes around the student residences Merville and Glenomena. The skips there used to be a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭jamser89

Belgrove very dirty!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

Never seen a rat, but squirrels are everywhere. And I haven't noticed much muck on the paths either. o.O

That said, puddles can be a nightmare around the Science block.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Yeah it's grand for the most part but there's a loadda mud around the back of the Science hub, especially that bit of grass that was handy to walk across as a shortcut heading towards O'Reilly Hall and the lake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

The squirrels are everywhere. I don't see any squirrel poison though.

Around the casual sitting areas outside the SU shops people just leave all their sh1t lying around. Bottles, sweet wrappers, sandwich packages, crisp bags. It's disgusting how people can sit around and litter their own college. Filthy scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

errlloyd wrote: »
    Are you lecturing? Or have you just repeated 15 times?

He's the UCD bum.
    No wonder he's pissed off about the mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Plasid

That guy has tenure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I've seen a few rats around Centra in Merville, but people dump pizza all over the place there by the picnic table, it's no wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Saw an absolutely massive rat climb out of one of the bins outside the library a few months back. It was clutching a roll.

Horrible

...I saw a badger once. For realz.

...I saw a badger once. For realz.

No way

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

RichTea wrote: »
    Saw an absolutely massive rat climb out of one of the bins outside the library a few months back. It was clutching a roll.

Horrible

Was it a 911 roll? I wouldnt be suprised as its only rats that eat that crap

Grimes wrote: »
    Was it a 911 roll? I wouldnt be suprised as its only rats that eat that crap

Didn't have the opportunity to converse with the rat about his lunching habits.

RichTea wrote: »
    Didn't have the opportunity to converse with the rat about his lunching habits.

Ooooh

• Advertisement

Grimes wrote: »
    Ooooh

I know. It was a missed opportunity. New years resolution - find him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DarkSeraphim

Personally i don't find the grounds of ucd dirty apart from the free carparks that are gravel based.

So with the word FREE coming before carpark i am not complaining. its a small price to pay to have free parking. If they do them carparks up they will start charging like their other carparks that are concrete and lined ect.

I personally love ucd and it has a lot to offer so i think we are blessed with such an awesome university but maybe my opinion would be different if i walked a different way to college. I can only give my opinion based on the route i take which besides the carpark is very clean.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The place is a disgrace, and has been for many years.

For example, the toilets in the engineering building are disgusting. The ventilation doesn't work so there is a strong smell of excrement lingering around the place. There is no soap in the dispensers, the taps give a drip rather than a spray: which doesn't promote good hand-wash habits.

The downstairs of the library building looks, smells and feels dirty. Staff have returned to work in at least one food outlet in that building without washing their hands having used the toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Red Alert wrote: »
    The place is a disgrace, and has been for many years.

For example, the toilets in the engineering building are disgusting. The ventilation doesn't work so there is a strong smell of excrement lingering around the place. There is no soap in the dispensers, the taps give a drip rather than a spray: which doesn't promote good hand-wash habits.

The downstairs of the library building looks, smells and feels dirty. Staff have returned to work in at least one food outlet in that building without washing their hands having used the toilet.

Oh the toilets are a nightmare in lots of places around campus. It is not even that they are not cleaned, I have seen them just after they are cleaned and they can be fine. The problem is the dirty f**ks that use them!!

PLus on the rat front, the bushes in Glenomena seemed to be their headquarters last year. Many a dead rat was spotted outside our building. And as for the ant infestation....

I have learned that students do not take themselves to be the cleanest of folks. That said I never had any problems on the main part of the campus other than people not using the bins in common areas.

Not to mention the accumulation of filthy cigarette butts outside the arts block. Dirty beggars

Anyone who has ever lived on campus will know that every second apartment is a tip, therefore the campus being messy isn't surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DarkSeraphim

I am based in the Health Science Building which is relitively new so no complaints there but i do notice that some students are very messy..

Everytime i go into the Toilets there is nothing but tissue everywhere. There is a bin right beside the door, i can't see why people wash there hands then dump the tissue they used to dry them on the counter tops which ends up on the floor. It is horrible.

Same with people leaving their rubish in the lecture halls. Most of the time when i come into a lecture hall there is a mass of used coffee cups just left there along with crisp packets etc. There are three large waste bins in our lecture halls. people would not do it at home so why do it at college?!

Other than that, i am happy enough with the place as i have mentioned above our building is quite new so everything is crispy clean and in good order.

Advertisement