Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public sector boycotts independent newspaper

Options
  • 16-12-2009 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

Just wondering is this going on in other public sector Dept. Where I work (900 employees) the independent news paper is no longer sold in the canteen and the entire workers are no longer buying it or the Sunday independent.
    I have being told that there is all an official boycott of the paper by the nurses also.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

News & Media forum?

Why don't ye use it as toilet roll, handy way to cut back on expenses :P :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I don't think that the Indo should be compared to an ostrich. What have they done now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

It is a horrendous rag especially the Sindo. My only problem with this is that it is being boycotted for the wrong reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Surely this image would only be relevant if it was the truth people weren't willing to face?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

joolsveer wrote: »
    I don't think that the Indo should be compared to an ostrich. What have they done now?
    I am just asking a simple question is they other people in the public sector who are boycotting the independent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Maybe someone could confirm that there is a boycott on before the PS bashing begins?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Don't the Indo have a history of over 100 years of being anti worker?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Lockout#William_Martin_Murphy_and_the_employers

population wrote: »
    It is a horrendous rag especially the Sindo. My only problem with this is that it is being boycotted for the wrong reasons.
    But would you say that a large percentage of the independent readers were public sector employees and if so where dose that leave a company that is all ready under pressure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

O, it's terrible when a paper actually gives the views of the majority of people isn't it???... :)

The rest just stick there head in the sand and continue to try and bleed the country dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Ill just have to make sure I buy a few more every week then! I hope not to many in the private sector or unemployed buy the Irish times! These 300,000 want to hold the 1.8 million of us left working ie. the paymasters and the rest of the population to ransom! If immediate reform doesnt start I am glad to hear ministers saying there will be more pay cuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

seangal wrote: »
    Just wondering is this going on in other public sector Dept. Where I work (900 employees) the independent news paper is no longer sold in the canteen and the entire workers are no longer buying it or the Sunday independent.
    I have being told that there is all an official boycott of the paper by the nurses also.

Seems about right to me, Public sector banding together to not do something

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Ill just have to make sure I buy a few more every week then! I hope not to many in the private sector or unemployed buy the Irish times! These 300,000 want to hold the 1.8 million of us left working ie. the paymasters and the rest of the population to ransom! If immediate reform doesnt start I am glad to hear ministers saying there will be more pay cuts!
    what is this got to do with it?
    We dont need another private v public as we have loads of them allready
    You need to get over you issue with the public sector or get help

celticbest wrote: »
    O, it's terrible when a paper actually gives the views of the majority of people isn't it???... :)

The rest just stick there head in the sand and continue to try and bleed the country dry.
    Did i ask you is it right or wrong?

What i asked is there any other public sector dept having a boycott on the paper and you are not a very well paid public sector you would not know

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm sure I'm missing something, but why is there a boycott against those papers and what's it meant to achieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Brilliant idea. Independent was boycotted in Clare, in 1998, when the miserable sports reporters did there best to vilify Colin Lynch over the Munster hurling final fracas against Waterford.
    On the other hand the Examiner sports columnists reported fairly on the whole thing. Examiner sales in Clare shot up. It didn't hang on to all of its gains, but did hang on to the majority.

Trouble in your case, is that all the paper are pretty much on the side of reducing PS pay. So what are you going to buy instead?

Plus, if Lenihan stays in finance for two more budgets, you wont be able to afford any paper :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

Threads get off topic pretty quick around here. I was never really bothered with the indo I'd buy it if I saw an interesting article. Since becoming aware of the boycott and looking into the reasons for it I've made a concious decision not to buy it. (I think there's a boycott on The Times also)

A few of the BS articles like Gardaí retire as millionaires have done nothing but fuel the Public V Private spats

Pah,
    PS

Did i ask you is it right or wrong?

What i asked is there any other public sector dept having a boycott on the paper and you are not a very well paid public sector you would not know

Who cares?? Do what you want as everybody is sick of listening...after a while it just falls on deaf ears.

I for one will make sure I keep buying the Indo on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

I don’t know how true this boycott is or not.

However, the Independent I would feel gives the majority view of this country.

The PS hate people like David Willams and Kevin Myers when they say that the PS is wrong to strike etc..... however keep in mind, these very same columnists bash the same bankers/government that the PS do.

If this boycott really does exist, wouldn’t it be in typical form?

We don’t like what your doing Government!!! Let’s strike.

We don’t like what you’re writing Independent!! Let’s boycott.

I can imagine it now.... The PS boycotting all private sector workers in Ireland and shopping in the North…. Oh wait, hold on…..

the Independent Id imagine reflects the views of a huge majority! Its the biggest selling Sunday newspaper and outsells the Irish Times massively during weekdays! I wouldnt buy the Irish Times, because there is only so much condoning inance over the top PS and Government salaries etc and turning a blind eye one can do!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MI5

200px-Charles_Cunningham_Boycott_%28Vanity_Fair%29.jpg

That folks is the original Captain Boycott.

Note how out of proportion to the rest of hos body his head is :pac:

Oh, and one more thing ........... he has a beard :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Well it's a start I suppose; now we just need the rest of the population to join in.

Then onto the Daily Mail; won't be long before we get rid of all the s**t papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

A bit childish isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

next they will be boycotting boards.ie :D

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055771998

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭erictheviking

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the Independent Id imagine reflects the views of a huge majority![/B] Its the biggest selling Sunday newspaper and outsells the Irish Times massively during weekdays! I wouldnt buy the Irish Times, because there is only so much condoning inance over the top PS and Government salaries etc and turning a blind eye one can do!

:D:D:D:D:D
    Don't get out much do you?

Its simply a fact! just because the view isnt what PS workers want to hear! I couldnt care less!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭oscar2

Classy journalism lilke this is why this rag is probably being boycotted.

"Civil servants also receive generous benefits to cope with tragedies. They are entitled to take 10 days compassionate leave on the death of a parent, spouse or child, in an agreement negotiated in 2007."

and don't forget the vote Fianna Fail banner headline a few years back

greendom wrote: »
    Well it's a start I suppose; now we just need the rest of the population to join in.

Then onto the Daily Mail; won't be long before we get rid of all the s**t papers.

The rest of the Population will never join in with such childish behaviour.
    ei.sdraob wrote: »
    next they will be boycotting boards.ie :D

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055771998

Please let this be true the day couldn't come soon enough! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

oscar2 wrote: »
    Classy journalism lilke this is why this rag is probably being boycotted.

"Civil servants also receive generous benefits to cope with tragedies. They are entitled to take 10 days compassionate leave on the death of a parent, spouse or child, in an agreement negotiated in 2007."

and don't forget the vote Fianna Fail banner headline a few years back

They damn near negotiated another 12 days compasionate leave to grieve for dearly departed Celtic Tiger:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

10 days Grieving period paid.

12 days sick leave paid.

18 days holiday paid.

___

40 days a year - no wonder there is never anyone behind the counter in the tax office.

Advertisement