Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public sector boycotts independent newspaper

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

celticbest wrote: »
    ... Please let this be true the day couldn't come soon enough! ;)

And how much enjoyment would people here get from bashing public servants if there were none of them here? It would seem a bit like masturbation.

10 days Grieving period paid.

12 days sick leave paid.

18 days holiday paid.

___

40 days a year - no wonder there is never anyone behind the counter in the tax office.

This looks like an application for a job in the Indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I haven't heard of any official boycott but if there is one then proper order. Of course the public sector workers will be hammered for boycotting a paper just as they'll be hammered for everything else they do. At least if every public servant and retired public servant that curently does so were to stop buying the Independent, it might make a small dent in sales figures.

As I said in another thread, there are laws to protect various groups in society from vilification. Public sector workers don't have this protection so if there is a sustained campaign of public servant bashing in a particular newspaper, all public servants can do is withdraw their custom by not purchasing.

From what I see the only Irish papers that have somewhat balanced and sober articles on the recession are the Times and the Sunday Business Post.

The Sunday Indepedent in particular is excrement with Brendan O'Connor one of the chief offenders. If these "journalists" were on here, they'd be referred to as "trolls". Oh wait, maybe they are already here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

12 days sick leave paid.

18 days holiday paid.

___

40 days a year - no wonder there is never anyone behind the counter in the tax office.

Add

Force Majeure Leave
    Maternity Leave.
    Paternity Leave

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

This looks like an application for a job in the Indo.

Nothing would give me more pleasure than to get paid to complain about the organisational mess that is this country's Public Sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm in favour of this purely out of hatred for that rag...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

And how much enjoyment would people here get from bashing public servants if there were none of them here? It would seem a bit like masturbation.

I am not bashing the PS sector, they just need to realise that the country is currently in the middle of a recession and that for once they are not immune from the cuts which everyone has to take to get the country back on its feet, it's part of life in the current climate.

I myself had to take a pay cut, of course I wasn't happy having to, but in the long term I did it to try to ensure that in this economic climate my job would be more secure in the long term. I'm just glad that I'm one of the lucky ones who still has a good to go to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

seangal wrote: »
    But would you say that a large percentage of the independent readers were public sector employees and if so where dose that leave a company that is all ready under pressure?

public service in Ireland not reading/ boycotting the papers would have small or no effect on the company as a whole.
    They have substantially bigger operations in Africa, Australia, New Zealand, UK and India.

Don’t forget in Ireland they own Irish Independent, Sunday Independent but also Evening Herald, Sunday World ,The Star and 16 regional newspapers in counties Cork, Kerry, Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Waterford and Sligo

"Or consider the retired directors general from the civil service whose pensions are now worth more than their salaries." Kevin Myers, today's info.

The Public Sector wont like this. They are being picked on! How dare we pick on them. ITS WRONG!

this is a fact, its not bashing, its not picking on anyone, its a cold hard fact.... and it is a fact that certainly wont help the PS stop any more pay cuts.

• Advertisement

Nothing would give me more pleasure than to get paid to complain about the organisational mess that is this country's Public Sector.

Including getting the facts wrong, of course.

"Or consider the retired directors general from the civil service whose pensions are now worth more than their salaries." Kevin Myers, today's info...

I presume Myers has data to back up his rhetoric. It might be difficult, because I am not aware of there being any directors general in the civil service -- but why should a journalist be concerned about getting the facts straight, especially when he is polemicising?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I gave up buying and even reading the SINDO years ago due to fact they employ and pay prize grade A opionated eejits like eoin harris and brendan know it all o'connor.

The daily indo isn't too bad, but this boycott just looks like sour grapes about fact that indo finally copped on and started campaigning for government to do something meaningful.

It's a pity though the indo didn't bother worrying about the truth and the future when they were flogging overpriced sh**e properties in every backwater development in this country and a few others through their property editorals, analysts and so called experts. :rolleyes:
    Ah but I guess he who pays the piper calls the tune :mad:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

how anyone here can actually post a serious comment defending the most overpaid and underworked PS in Europe at the expense of the rest of us is beyond me! It could only be a Public Servant or someone who obviously lives in cloud cuckoo land! Ofcourse not all the PS staff, pay or situations are ridiculous but the amount that is is way out of line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

jmayo wrote: »
    I gave up buying and even reading the SINDO years ago due to fact they employ and pay prize grade A opionated eejits like eoin harris and brendan know it all o'connor.

lets not forget McWilliams and Myers

i stopped buying it because i can get the same news on their and other sites for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

I for one gave up reading The Sindo ages ago, it just made me so depressed...but then again I’m self employed and my market was in the construction industry which has now disappeared. So my wages have reduced 100%.
    So I would consider the PS lucky. Next Sunday it is back to reading The Sindo for me....hopefully I’ll be reading articles of the imminent entry of The IMF to sort this country out. I wonder who the PS will want to boycott then.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭oscar2

Rujib1 wrote: »
    Add

Force Majeure Leave
    Maternity Leave.
    Paternity Leave

Force Majeure was introduced because EU and applies to all workers Public or Private.

Maternity leave is universal.

Only Paternity leave up to individual companies.

What exactly is your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

LK_Dave wrote: »
    I for one gave up reading The Sindo ages ago, it just made me so depressed...but then again I’m self employed and my market was in the construction industry which has now disappeared. So my wages have reduced 100%.
    So I would consider the PS lucky. Next Sunday it is back to reading The Sindo for me....hopefully I’ll be reading articles of the imminent entry of The IMF to sort this country out. I wonder who the PS will want to boycott then.

You think the IMF won't touch your dole money?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

celticbest wrote: »
    The rest of the Population will never join in with such childish behaviour.

Unlike the journalists themselves (partaking in childish behaviour that is, not boycotting newspapers)

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    lets not forget McWilliams and Myers

i stopped buying it because i can get the same news on their and other sites for free

Ah now McWilliams may be opionated, but he has also talked a lot of the truth even when not favourable to be doing so.
    Thus I can forgive him his flowery descriptions and dumbing it down a little.

As for Myers, well he can be a grade A sh** stirrer, but he can also say the things that often need someone brave enough, or stupid enough, to say.

Can anyone every say anything as complimentary about o'connor and harris ?
    They have no saving graces that I can see anyway.

Ask for all the other eejits that are in that magazine thingy, they just appear to be always ar**likcing the likes of amanda brunker, gerald kean and the one not wife material for Flattley. Oh and the aherns.

PS ei.sdraob you never answered me who owns the other 36/37% of the ESB over on the Pay Cuts in Commercial Semi State thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

Is there really a boycott or did the delivery truck break down?

I havent seen anyone here actually confirm that there really is a boycott!
    (if I missed it - sorry!)

Does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Ignoring the Private/Public debate for a minute.

I have noticed over the last few months, that I can no longer trust the indo stories, stats or figures. At best they are half facts and often they have no bearing in reality. They seem to change things to get the most dramatic headlines as per the UK tabloids. With complete disregard for reporting the complete facts. They even contradict themselves from one story to the next. I thought it was just PS stories, but no they do this with none PS stories aswell. They did a hatchet job on cyclists story a while back for example.

So I don't read it because its dire.

jmayo wrote: »
    PS ei.sdraob you never answered me who owns the other 36/37% of the ESB over on the Pay Cuts in Commercial Semi State thread.

ot:
    i was wrong/misinformed on ownership %'ge , your were correct :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

12 days sick leave paid.

18 days holiday paid.

___

Where are you getting your information from. We're I've been in the PS there no 10 days Grieving period. Nothing even called that. Theres Force Majeure and compassionate leave, but I had the same in the private sector. Is there "Grieving period" in the CS? I dunno I'm just asking.

Having death in the immediate family is a holiday? Thats seriously screwed.

12 days sick leave paid.

18 days holiday paid.

___

your doing it wrong

"you shouldnt go to the taxman, the taxman should come to you"

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

LK Dave you are correct that it does make for depressing reading! the situation is depressing! especially if you are self employed like myself and yourself and live in reality land!

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    ot:
    i was wrong/misinformed on ownership %'ge , your were correct :)

OT: As I said state companym well bar the 14% odd. ;)

Backon topic...
    You see, you should stop reading the online edition of the indo, it is giving you inaccurate information like above :D

It's pity about the sindo, becuase I used to like some of the sports writers, but I am not prepared to have 1 cent of my money go towards bertie's no.1 ar**licker.

not really related to this thread, however i have decided to add this graph to every post I make, even ones not remotely relatating to Politics etc....

Anyone, regardless of paygrade, in the Public Sector, after looking at this graph with a logical mind(not sure if any PS have a logical mind however) answer me this:

Explain this graph?

Are the private sector underpaid?

Is the graph wrong?

Are Public Sector more qualifed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 balrog

On thre graph it is my understanding correct me if I am worng. yes they are more quailifyied and five years older than private sector.I think there is one more parameter aswell missing but cant remember. Not public sector, and I wont be buying indo because they fuelled the fire between the two sector. Instead writing about their glossy property sections or their owner tax status.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I haven't heard of a boycott of the Indo, but I wouldn't buy the Indo/Sindo or any of their other affliated papers anyway, as they're all redtops. Well, maybe, if I wanted to read a comic and there was nothing more entertaining.

The Guardian ftw :p

Advertisement