Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public sector boycotts independent newspaper

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

not really related to this thread, however i have decided to add this graph to every post I make, even ones not remotely relatating to Politics etc....

Anyone, regardless of paygrade, in the Public Sector, after looking at this graph with a logical mind(not sure if any PS have a logical mind however) answer me this:

Explain this graph?

Are the private sector underpaid?

Is the graph wrong?

Are Public Sector more qualifed?

Completely off topic and nothing to do with this thread. Take your Public Sector bashing graph and bugger off. Why not start a thread on this graph rather than putting it on every time you post??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... (not sure if any PS have a logical mind however) ...

It takes a particularly intense bigotry to toss out suggestions like that in relation to 340,000 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭salamanca

BostonB wrote: »
    Ignoring the Private/Public debate for a minute.

I have noticed over the last few months, that I can no longer trust the indo stories, stats or figures. At best they are half facts and often they have no bearing in reality. They seem to change things to get the most dramatic headlines as per the UK tabloids. With complete disregard for reporting the complete facts. They even contradict themselves from one story to the next. I thought it was just PS stories, but no they do this with none PS stories aswell. They did a hatchet job on cyclists story a while back for example.

So I don't read it because its dire.

I hope they don't get to be as inaccurate as the Dept of Finance's economic forecasts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

oscar2 wrote: »
    Force Majeure was introduced because EU and applies to all workers Public or Private.

Maternity leave is universal.

Only Paternity leave up to individual companies.

What exactly is your point?

Thing is private sector workers take the above only very sparingly, because when private sector man is not manning the pumps, productivity goes down and boss gets shirty. No nonsence taken.
    Public service Joe, on other hand fills out 6 forms all in triplicate, to claim all and every day that he can. This form is then read by 6 more beaurocrats, who cant make up their minds, so it gets passed up the line. Eventually, after 5 layers of management have perused the said documents, it is decided that the said documents should be shredded. Two guys in a van arrive to collect the documents, but now discover that they have been dispersed over 11 different offices. Some may even been sent to some backward decentralized town down the west.
    So the matter is then discussed at execuitive officer level. 2 years later, multiple forms later, all in triplicate, it is decided that who ever in fcuk wants the days off can have them. By then of course PS Joe, has taken the days anyway, so it doesn't really matter that all those forms were filled out in the first place.
    Now this brings us back to the 2 guys in the van. They haven't actually been paid yet, because they were from the private sector. So naturally enough, it is decided that a cross functional team, encompassing all departments be formed to bring all procedural matters relating to the aformentioned up to third world standards.
    Now, this process must begin with a formal requisition, in triplicate of course:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Rujib1 wrote: »
    Thing is private sector workers take the above only very sparingly, because when private sector man is not manning the pumps, productivity goes down and boss gets shirty. No nonsence taken.
    Public service Joe, on other hand fills out 6 forms all in triplicate, to claim all and every day that he can. This form is then read by 6 more beaurocrats, who cant make up their minds, so it gets passed up the line. Eventually, after 5 layers of management have perused the said documents, it is decided that the said documents should be shredded. Two guys in a van arrive to collect the documents, but now discover that they have been dispersed over 11 different offices. Some may even been sent to some backward decentralized town down the west.
    So the matter is then discussed at execuitive officer level. 2 years later, multiple forms later, all in triplicate, it is decided that who ever in fcuk wants the days off can have them. By then of course PS Joe, has taken the days anyway, so it doesn't really matter that all those forms were filled out in the first place.
    Now this brings us back to the 2 guys in the van. They haven't actually been paid yet, because they were from the private sector. So naturally enough, it is decided that a cross functional team, encompassing all departments be formed to bring all procedural matters relating to the aformentioned up to third world standards.
    Now, this process must begin with a formal requisition, in triplicate of course:pac:

Right so all public service workers are lazy shysters and private sector workers all model employees. Utter nonsense tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

greendom wrote: »
    Right so all public service workers are lazy shysters and private sector workers all model employees.

If you add overpaid to that statement, you have the opinion of most on here. Personally I don't read here that often as people are bitter and wish misfortune on honest hard working employees who already most likely earn less than them.

My advice do what I do and just ignore this section of boards as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Its simply a fact! just because the view isnt what PS workers want to hear! I couldnt care less!
    you seem to care enough to post about it.:rolleyes:

Cian92 wrote: »
    If you add overpaid to that statement, you have the opinion of most on here. Personally I don't read here that often as people are bitter and wish misfortune on honest hard working employees who already most likely earn less than them.

My advice do what I do and just ignore this section of boards as much as possible.
    nice post Cian92, a lot of objectivity imo.

I like the way you talk about this section of Boards, The Economy & Budget section, it's very light on NAMA isn't it. You'd believe no ones worried/interested about it:rolleyes:.

I don't know if PS workers are being urged to boycott the Indo group of newspaper. I would urge people not to buy it purely because of its quality. It is a poor quality read. It compares unfavourably to the Irish Times, even the London Indo and the Guardian, both of which are 80c cheaper. The Indo has slashed costs in the last 30-years, well since the O'Reily takeover. Their international coverage is poor (as I've said before with the exception of Nicholas Leonard's Westminster Watch; Robert Fisk's reports from the Middle East). Just checked out their website, they've another great Tiger Woods story in their 'International' Coverage.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Cian92 wrote: »

Yes - I've noticed that a lot of people here wish misfortune of public servants, most of whom are honest, hard working employees.

Here's a suggestion for the public service bashers. Boycott the public services. Never call the fire brigade, ambulance service or gardai. Attend private hospitals instead of public ones. You won't though, will you? When you really need them, you'll call on those public servants that you've so happily railed against here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

ghost_ie wrote: »
    Here's a suggestion for the public service bashers. Boycott the public services. Never call the fire brigade, ambulance service or gardai. Attend private hospitals instead of public ones. You won't though, will you? When you really need them, you'll call on those public servants that you've so happily railed against here.

I've never called the Fire Brigade, ambulance service or have attended a public hospital. I called the Gardai in Dublin a few years ago when I saw some thieves breaking into my car. It took them half an hour to steal it. The Gardai showed up the next day, to take a "report for a stolen car". When I told them that my call was about a robbery in progress & not a car that had been stolen, they got quite thick with me.

I've never bashed the Public Sector workers though. They probably do a sterling job, but apart from one incident, I'm not really qualified to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

seangal wrote: »
    Just wondering is this going on in other public sector Dept. Where I work (900 employees) the independent news paper is no longer sold in the canteen and the entire workers are no longer buying it or the Sunday independent.
    I have being told that there is all an official boycott of the paper by the nurses also.

It would be interesting to know what paper has replaced the Indo?

PRAVDA by any chance?;)

I wouldn't feel confident enough to defend the Indo from whatever criticism is levelled at it, but this is puerile.

p.s. I bet they have a peek on the internet when they go home!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    ... I wouldn't feel confident enough to defend the Indo from whatever criticism is levelled at it, but this is puerile...

Would you want to read a newspaper that consistently attacked you and your colleagues, very often distorting the facts in order to make its case? You would probably tire of reading it, or you might decide not to contribute to their profits.

I can't boycott the Indo, because I was never a reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

ghost_ie wrote: »
    Yes - I've noticed that a lot of people here wish misfortune of public servants, most of whom are honest, hard working employees.

I really dont think that most of the PS bashers have a problem with the groups you name here. The problem is that the 340.000 people strong PS is not only made out of garda, firemen and nurses.
    I doubt there is anyone here who thinks that nurses or firemen are lazy b*stards and that they get paid too much.
    I therefor think it is a bit of a weak defence to always drag those groups into the discussion as a defence.
    It is middle and upper management where the problem is. A team of 2 that sees 6 managers on top of them, that kind of BS is what gets most people p*ssed off i think.

And to be honest, the few times i had to deal with the PS here in ireland i was actually surprised by their efficiency compared to what i was used to in Holland. Now, i dont know whether that tells more about Ireland or Holland....

inforfun wrote: »
    I doubt there is anyone here who thinks that nurses or firemen are lazy (1) b*stards and that they get paid too much.
    I therefor think it is a bit of a weak defence to always drag those groups into the discussion as a defence.
    It is middle and upper management where the problem is. A team of 2 that sees 6 managers (2) on top of them, that kind of BS is what gets most people p*ssed off i think.
    (1) you'd be surprised; are there no lazy nurses, firemen, gardai, or is that not possible.
    (2) is this usual? have you a reference for it:confused:

I've never bashed the Public Sector workers though. They probably do a sterling job, but apart from one incident, I'm not really qualified to comment.

They certainly do a sterling job, when the go up north to do the weekly shop :D

greendom wrote: »
    Right so all public service workers are lazy shysters and private sector workers all model employees. Utter nonsense tbh.

You are right of course. BUT private sector shysters generally get their P45. Sorted.
    Public sector shyster ... well he or she probably gets their increments and holidays, and sick days, and pension, and is well and truly admired by one and all.

They certainly do a sterling job, when the go up north to do the weekly shop :D
    is this a serious thread:confused:

imme wrote: »
    is this a serious thread:confused:

My comment was serious :mad: How can my comment highlighting, PS / SIPTU conspiracy to damage the ROI economy, be construed as otherwise.

My comment was serious :mad: How can my comment highlighting, PS / SIPTU conspiracy to damage the ROI economy, be construed as otherwise.
    oh why didn't you say, if you want CONSPIRACY THEORIES why not try http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576
    ;););););)

• Advertisement

oh why didn't you say, if you want CONSPIRACY THEORIES why not try http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576
    ;););););)

I just did. Thanks for the pointer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

(1) you'd be surprised; are there no lazy nurses, firemen, gardai, or is that not possible.
    (2) is this usual? have you a reference for it:confused:

1) Without a doubt there must be at least 1 lazy example of each group. Now, please dont ask me to name these individuals.
    2) i have been told stories by PS workers who indeed had more managers than co-workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

could everyone please bear in mind, that despite the country being screwed, that these so called great patriotic Public Servants are about to cause mayhem "Unions plan three-pronged attack on Budget pay cuts" one of the headlines I was reading online at WWW.INDEPENDENT.IE earlier. This war is one the Government cant afford to lose, pensions need to be changed, tax the lump sum, introduce 40 hour weeks, redeployment, etc etc etc etc etc. I would not go after their direct pay next year if they cooperate! Lads I dont know what planet some of you live on but the public sector arent going to get us out of recession, if we are relying on their willingness to change and innovation and attitude towards work were screwed! If you look at Ireland, we have a huge amount going for us, the main problem is here is costs! as long as we continue to price ouselves out of the market, there isnt going to be a recovery! whats this I hear, tax the rich? What is the ridiculous statistic, 1% of top earners pay 43% of all tax? oh yeah go after them their getting away with murder! why dont they get the teachers to clean the streets with their 180 or so odd days off a year, that would save some cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

You are right of course. BUT private sector shysters generally get their P45. Sorted.
    Public sector shyster ... well he or she probably gets their increments and holidays, and sick days, and pension, and is well and truly admired by one and all.

I'm not sure about the first part of your thread - plenty of people in the private sector swinging the lead, or doing the bare minimum to get by. I have more sympathy with the second part. The culture in the PS of no sackings needs to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭maxximus

Idbatterim wrote: »
    could everyone please bear in mind, that despite the country being screwed, that these so called great patriotic Public Servants are about to cause mayhem "Unions plan three-pronged attack on Budget pay cuts" one of the headlines I was reading online at WWW.INDEPENDENT.IE earlier. This war is one the Government cant afford to lose, pensions need to be changed, tax the lump sum, introduce 40 hour weeks, redeployment, etc etc etc etc etc. I would not go after their direct pay next year if they cooperate! Lads I dont know what planet some of you live on but the public sector arent going to get us out of recession, if we are relying on their willingness to change and innovation and attitude towards work were screwed! If you look at Ireland, we have a huge amount going for us, the main problem is here is costs! as long as we continue to price ouselves out of the market, there isnt going to be a recovery! whats this I hear, tax the rich? What is the ridiculous statistic, 1% of top earners pay 43% of all tax? oh yeah go after them their getting away with murder! why dont they get the teachers to clean the streets with their 180 or so odd days off a year, that would save some cash!

Id say you would clean a lot of streets !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭soden12

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    next they will be boycotting boards.ie :D

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055771998

That will leave the space clear for bashing overpaid ESB & Bank workers.

Advertisement