Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Voted EPL Team of the Year 2009

• 16-12-2009 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Don't know if this has been done before but I've no problem running it. We'll start with Goalkeeper today, I'll post a different position (shall we stick with the basic 4-4-2 like sky do for balance) every 2 days to allow for maximum voting and to avoid overloading the Forum with threads.

For GK's the one with the most will, naturally be in the Starting XI with the second most votes giving a place on the bench.

Perhaps the mods could sticky this?

Commence voting for Goalkeepers!

Goalkeeper of the year in EPL? 147 votes

Almunia
    0% 0 votes
    Friedel
    0% 0 votes
    Jääskeläinen
    4% 7 votes
    Cech
    2% 4 votes
    Howard
    1% 2 votes
    Schwarzer
    0% 1 vote
    Reina
    12% 19 votes
    Given
    10% 15 votes
    Van Der Sar
    40% 59 votes
    Gomez
    6% 9 votes
    Gordon
    0% 0 votes
    Green
    0% 1 vote
    Kirkland
    0% 1 vote
    Myhill
    0% 0 votes
    Hart
    0% 1 vote
    Carson
    0% 1 vote
    Sorensen
    0% 0 votes
    James
    18% 27 votes
    Foster
    0% 0 votes
    Other
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Sorenson or Given. Hmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Given by far! One of his best years, combined with a terrible year for Cech gives him the award IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Friedel by a country mile imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

eagle eye wrote: »
    Friedel by a country mile imo.

what? :confused:

schwarzer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Why are the results hidden?

Surely it makes more sense to allow people to see them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I dont mind either way, can a mod show the results so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Voltwad wrote: »
    I dont mind either way, can a mod show the results so?

I'd say you could do it?

Just edit your poll to show the results.

Sorry wasn't trying to be a knob, I just can't stand provate polls... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Given by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Frediel too.

Villa are a pretty average team but it shows with a half decent keeper you can actually achieve results...take note Mr. Wenger! (yes I know we're only 6 points from the top but we'd easily be top now if we had a world class keeper).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I think in a poll like this it's pretty easy to forget about last season's form and place too much emphasis on just this season's form.

As such have to give it to Given, especially given the defences he has had in front of him over the course of the year.

A lot of the other top contenders for the year have had much better quality defences in front of them, which make a keepers job a lot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Rob Green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Forum is beginning to match Q magazine for lists. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Given for me. I know they only came up this year but, Burnley's "beast" has been impressive from what I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Went for Cech after clicking on him before Given and forgot to change back :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

It's a Given.

FAO Mods - I cant seem to edit the poll to show results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭GO'S

dont show results...itll make it more of a surprise

If nothing else, I will post a screen pic after day 1.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Schwarzer.

But it's obviously going to be Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

my vote went to sorenson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Schwarzer for me, no doubt. Would love Arsenal to have put in a bid for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Voltwad wrote: »
    FAO Mods - I cant seem to edit the poll to show results

Should be viewable now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

Where's Steve Simonsen? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Sorensen for me. What other keeper has saved three penalties in a row??

Has kept Stoke in a lot of games and won them a lot of points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Given is so ridiculously good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

was on the verge of voting for Given, but Sorenson has been better imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Van Der Sar for me with a hint of bias.

Mostly for his role in United's huge run of clean sheets last season, and the confidence he instills in his defence isn't matched by any other keeper in the PL at the moment IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Roaster wrote: »
    Frediel too.

Villa are a pretty average team but it shows with a half decent keeper you can actually achieve results...take note Mr. Wenger! (yes I know we're only 6 points from the top but we'd easily be top now if we had a world class keeper).

Wrong about villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think its a given who is going to get the goalkeeping spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

aaronh007 wrote: »

Has kept Stoke in a lot of games and won them me a lot of fantasy points

fyp.....;) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Im confused. 2009 epl poll....so we are including january - may of last year and september - december this year :confused: Thats a bit strange.

Also are people just voting whos the overall best or who deserves to be nominated? Going by this season is pretty clear that Sorenson has been probably the standout keeper just like schwarzer was last year. But neither of them are as good as Reina or Given. Not sure why Given has so many votes either to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Schwarzer all the way :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

joe123 wrote: »
    Im confused. 2009 epl poll....so we are including january - may of last year and september - december this year :confused:

My thoughts exactly. The thread is titled EPL Team of the Year 2009

Which means all of 2009 - not just since start of 2009/10 season, which a lot seem to be basing their votes on. So I'm voting for the 12 months back to start of 2009.

For the record, I voted Tim Howard (I see I'm the only one :D) because of his excellent form helping Everton into 5th position last season, and his great keeping in Everton's run to the FA Cup final in May.

Plus if you take in to account he's probably been the best in the back line for Everton this season, I think he's been worth a mention:)

aaronh007 wrote: »

Guzan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Who voted for Gordon :pac:

• Advertisement

Roaster wrote: »
    Frediel too.

Wow

Have you ever actually watched villa? I cant think of a single match winning performance from friedel since he joined us. In fact there are quite a few expecting this to be his last year as number one.

Is this coz he made a good save on saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Given for me.

I wonder is this the strongest position in the league. There certainly are a lot of really top class keepers about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

VDS broke the clean-sheet record for the English League last year, football before premiership included despite what Sky would tell you. That alone gives it to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Helix wrote: »
    Wow

Have you ever actually watched villa? I cant think of a single match winning performance from friedel since he joined us. In fact there are quite a few expecting this to be his last year as number one.

Is this coz he made a good save on saturday?

Wow.

Don't you think that's a bit harsh on Brad? He is one of the best in the division no doubt and performs consistently all the time. I'd take him over Cech at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

PHB wrote: »
    VDS broke the clean-sheet record for the English League last year, football before premiership included despite what Sky would tell you. That alone gives it to him.

Meh, that record is largely a function of the defense and team playing infront of him tbh.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Wow.

Don't you think that's a bit harsh on Brad? He is one of the best in the division no doubt and performs consistently all the time. I'd take him over Cech at Chelsea.

hes done nothing to set him aside from any other keeper in the division at villa:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Quite interesting that hart only has 1 vote. Behind Cech he's kept the most clean sheets in the league but without the superstar defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Quite interesting that hart only has 1 vote. Behind Cech he's kept the most clean sheets in the league but without the superstar defence

But didn't play between January and August so not really Goalkeeper of the 'Year' material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Bit suprised to here the Friedal flak.

For me it was between Reina, Jussi and Given.

I plumped for Given.

Suprised anyone would go for Cech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In order for me

(1) Sorenson
    (2) Given
    (3) Van der Sar

In there prime I think VDS is the best though.

Sorenson is excellent keeper and one think is underated too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Saw the thread for left back and couldn't believe when I saw Shay Givens name as the goalkeeper.

Seriously, what does he have to his game apart from shot-stopping? If you're juding off five minutes highlights every week then I understand but anyone who watches a full Man City game once in a while how weak his all round game is.

His shot-stopping is as good as anyone's. But he has no control over his defence and his kicking is attrocious. Every game, it's clear to see how bad is awareness is. He puts his defence under so much pressure alot of times with short passes to full backs who have a winger ready to pounce.

What was he doing for France's goal in Paris? Where's the patrol? Where's his defence? That is HIS problem.

Anyone who watched the home game against France. Constant hoofing of the ball straight from his hands onto two relitavely small forwards? Why?

BTW, I know this is a PL thread but I used the France game as an example becuase you'll all have seen it.

He doesn't compare to Reina, VDS, Sorensen, Friedel or even Gomes as an all round keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

fkt wrote: »
    Saw the thread for left back and couldn't believe when I saw Shay Givens name as the goalkeeper.

Agreed 100% mate.

I've always said he's a tremendous shot stopper, but his command of his area is non-existent, and his distribution is absolutely terrible. He's a good goalkeeper, but possibly one of the most overrated in world football, for some people to have him up there with Casillas and Buffon etc is mind boggling.

It's an Irish football forum though, so he's always going to end up getting chosen. The same as Richard Dunne will get picked as a centre back on this 'Team of The Year' and I wouldn't be surprised if John O'Shea was picked either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Uhm infact he is one of the best keepers in the world and has been for years now, where you been living ? :rolleyes:
    Seriously, what does he have to his game apart from shot-stopping?

He has played what 100 games for Ireland , have you noticed nothing apart from shot -stopping ? :rolleyes:
    If you're juding off five minutes highlights every week then I understand but anyone who watches a full Man City game once in a while how weak his all round game is.

Ah well your opinion explains why most of us here would have screamed to get him as a 1st choice keeper over the last 10 years and what pisses us moreso is that he never went to a big/top/4/big club.
    His shot-stopping is as good as anyone's. But he has no control over his defence and his kicking is attrocious. Every game, it's clear to see how bad is awareness is. He puts his defence under so much pressure alot of times with short passes to full backs who have a winger ready to pounce.

Uhm lolwtf ? That's all i can say without teh infraction hammer hitting me.
    What was he doing for France's goal in Paris? Where's the patrol? Where's his defence? That is HIS problem.

He was covering his near post expecting the ball to go out of play for a goal kick like it would in most games except a chéating cúnt intervened.
    Anyone who watched the home game against France. Constant hoofing of the ball straight from his hands onto two relitavely small forwards? Why?

Because he was told tactically or , wait for it , our midfield was so shít that day he couldn't trust kicking the ball to them , infact it was the tactics tbh.
    BTW, I know this is a PL thread but I used the France game as an example becuase you'll all have seen it.

If this thread was about any other Irish player then maybe it could hold some sort of point , but, Given Gtfo tbh.
    He doesn't compare to Reina, VDS, Sorensen, Friedel or even Gomes as an all round keeper.

He is a better keeper than any of them have been now or in their prime.Please stop with the delusional shít.He has been a top 3 keeper for all of his career and i can't even see the delusional pool fans rating Reina higher than him as good as Reina is.

Failpost of the year tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Given winning this makes me sick :(

He is a good keeper and im really happy to share the same country and even county as him but I would have preferred if we could have kept bias out of it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

d22ontour wrote: »
    Ah well your opinion explains why most of us here would have screamed to get him as a 1st choice keeper over the last 10 years and what pisses us moreso is that he never went to a big/top/4/big club.

And I wonder why that is? Nothing to do with the fact he's not good enough?

And in future could you leave out the ever so irritating repetition of 'tbh' and ':rolleyes:'?

• Advertisement
Advertisement