Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Voted EPL Team of the Year 2009

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Agreed 100% mate.

I've always said he's a tremendous shot stopper, but his command of his area is non-existent, and his distribution is absolutely terrible. He's a good goalkeeper, but possibly one of the most overrated in world football, for some people to have him up there with Casillas and Buffon etc is mind boggling.

It's an Irish football forum though, so he's always going to end up getting chosen. The same as Richard Dunne will get picked as a centre back on this 'Team of The Year' and I wouldn't be surprised if John O'Shea was picked either.

If you think Irish people vote for Irish players in a poll on an Irish forum then you are in the wrong place.We vote for players who are the best in their postion over the year.This is a discussion forum not the shíte rawk/redcafe/insertnonfactorclub forum etc.We go on we we think is true, it's called an opinion, unlike you and the poster above you, who seem to form their opinions on what andy gray tells you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

d22ontour wrote: »
    .We go on we we think is true, it's called an opinion, unlike you and the poster above you, who seem to form their opinions on what andy gray tells you.

Well, based on his comments during games, Andy Gray has been a fan of Given for a canny while now mate, so if I was going on what he was telling me I'd be joining in the Shay Given wankfest.

Yes, he's a good Goalkeeper, I don't dispute that at all, but I can't remember the last time I seen him come and collect a set piece to ease the pressure, or command his area, like the worlds best Goalkeepers do.

Make no mistake about it, in the World Cup Play-Off he got let off the hook by Henry's handball, he was the one who should have been there commanding his area, coming for the ball, making an attempt to punch it, anything rather than being glued to his line like he always is. He got away very, very lightly.

He is not one of the worlds best Goalkeepers, he's a good Premier League Goalkeeper, but that's about as far as it goes for me.

fkt wrote: »
    And I wonder why that is? Nothing to do with the fact he's not good enough?

If you think Shay Given hasn't been good enough for the big/top four clubs in the last 10 years then you sir , are deluded as fook.I could guarantee you that almost 100% of top/big four clubs fans would have loved him to be their keepers in the last 10 years bar the most deluded.He is/was is quality, maybe because he is Irish you are underestimating him.

And in future could you leave out the ever so irritating repetition of 'tbh' and ':rolleyes:'?

When a mod pms me to leave out the tbh then maybe i might...

Any nonsensical post deserves the :rolleyes: fyi tbh ijs

Your reply just got one .... I wonder why ...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

If you think Irish people vote for Irish players in a poll on an Irish forum then you are in the wrong place.We vote for players who are the best in their postion over the year.This is a discussion forum not the shíte rawk/redcafe/insertnonfactorclub forum etc.We go on we we think is true, it's called an opinion, unlike you and the poster above you, who seem to form their opinions on what andy gray tells you.

Clearly being Irish and supporting the Irish team the Irish media should have more of an influence on our opinions, not Andy F*cking Gray.

Im not basing my opinions on what anyone tells me, im basing it on what i think myself, and I think Given isnt the best keeper in the premiership.

So shoot me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Lol at this. In the ideal Boards soccer forum perhaps, but have you not read some of the posts on this forum?!! There are some regular posters on here whose posts you should read and you might reassess this opinion. Whether Given's position is justified or not is up for debate, but I think he has undoubtedly benefited from the Irish vote, it's foolish to suggest otherwise. Do you think he would top the poll by such a comfortable margin in an English-based poll?

For the record I think Given is an excellent keeper and possibly the best of 09. But overall I think Reina is a more complete player and will be recognised as a better goalkeeper when both their careers finish. As will VDS probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

If you think Shay Given hasn't been good enough for the big/top four clubs in the last 10 years then you sir , are deluded as fook.I could guarantee you that almost 100% of top/big four clubs fans would have loved him to be their keepers in the last 10 years bar the most deluded.He is/was is quality, maybe because he is Irish you are underestimating him.

Then why didn't Arsene Wenger want him to replace Lehman? Why didn't Rafa want him to replcae Dudek? Why has he had no attraction from Italy/Spain?

And what on earth makes you think my opinion has anything to do with that of Andy Gray? I absolutely the despise the man.

Is there any chance you could start using your keyboard like you are over the age of five and quit the petty insults?

Well, based on his comments during games, Andy Gray has been a fan of Given for a canny while now mate, so if I was going on what he was telling me I'd be joining in the Shay Given wankfest.

Yes, he's a good Goalkeeper, I don't dispute that at all, but I can't remember the last time I seen him come and collect a set piece to ease the pressure, or command his area, like the worlds best Goalkeepers do.

Make no mistake about it, in the World Cup Play-Off he got let off the hook by Henry's handball, he was the one who should have been there commanding his area, coming for the ball, making an attempt to punch it, anything rather than being glued to his line like he always is. He got away very, very lightly.

He is not one of the worlds best Goalkeepers, he's a good Premier League Goalkeeper, but that's about as far as it goes for me.

Sigh ...

Let me put it this way .There are a few english fans here who would have loved Given to sign for their respective clubs in the last 10 years.

There are a handful of Rangers fans here who would have loved him to sign for them in the last ten years.

How both of you can't see how good a keeper he is , kinda boggles me .I would have loved United to have replaced the Great Dane with him and would have thought him an equal replacement.I could point score any other top keepers weakspots but he would still match them.

He is a better keeper than any of them have been now or in their prime.

So you're telling me Shay Given is a better keeper than Edwin Van Der Sar was in his prime?

Are you on crack?

Sigh ...

Let me put it this way .There are a few english fans here who would have loved Given to sign for their respective clubs in the last 10 years.

There are a handful of Rangers fans here who would have loved him to sign for them in the last ten years.

How both of you can't see how good a keeper he is , kinda boggles me .I would have loved United to have replaced the Great Dane with him and would have thought him an equal replacement.I could point score any other top keepers weakspots but he would still match them.

Why didn't Mr.Ferguson go for him then? Bad managament?

• Advertisement

Sigh ...

Ive never said he isn't good, he definitely is a good keeper, I'm just saying that Van Der Sar and Reina are a class apart.

Sigh ...

Lets be honest, if a top English side have of thought Given was good enough, they would have signed him. He was hardly playing at a club it would have been too hard to tempt him from, and it's not as if he was on a massive wage either. If any of these clubs thought he was good enough, they would have had enough about them to sign him.

As I've said, he's a good Goalkeeper, but to say he's better than Van Der Sar in his prime is laughable, and to place him among the world's best is insane.

Then why didn't Arsene Wenger want him to replace Lehman? Why didn't Rafa want him to replcae Dudek? Why has he had no attraction from Italy/Spain?

I actually think that these are very valid points re Given's ability. I think judging a goalkeeper can be very difficult as they do so much more than what they get credited for. But obviously top scouts/managers are going to be far more aware of these things. What did they see that we didn't?

I think that it may be especially difficult for someone who has never played in goals to judge a goalkeepers ability, apart from the very obvious things (i.e. shot-stopping). I would be interested in the opinion of someone who has played any kind of competitive football between the sticks, as I feel they would have more of a know-how of what makes a great goalkeeper.

Well i really need to be off head shotting fookers in a random fps but ..If any normal fan can name me a better british based keeper over the last 10 years then yeah i might think your baseless opinion to actually have substance.I will say that Given has been a better keeper than any other collectively over the last 10 years too.Only Friedel would actually compare to him but i guess he isn't sky sport top keeper material either....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

One of the lads I play 5s with has some england schoolboy and under age caps (they actually give out ties at schoolboy level). Some of the stuff he was telling me about the science they use in the game now is amazing was telling me as well that if you are off your line quick enough 80% of shots will go at you between knee and shoulder level.

Anyway, that is an aside, was discussing this with him in work, he reckons that Jussi is one of the best in the PL along with Kirkland.

Morzadec wrote: »
    I would be interested in the opinion of someone who has played any kind of competitive football between the sticks, as I feel they would have more of a know-how of what makes a great goalkeeper.

I played for 10 years as a Goalkeeper and played FAI Inter-League so I feel I am qualified enough to comment :D

• Advertisement

I played for 10 years as a Goalkeeper and played FAI Inter-League so I feel I am qualified enough to comment :D

That'll do I suppose!

One of the lads I play 5s with has some england schoolboy and under age caps (they actually give out ties at schoolboy level). Some of the stuff he was telling me about the science they use in the game now is amazing was telling me as well that if you are off your line quick enough 80% of shots will go at you between knee and shoulder level.

Anyway, that is an aside, was discussing this with him in work, he reckons that Jussi is one of the best in the PL along with Kirkland.

Interesting stuff. I really don't rate Kirkland, I feel he is suspect from crosses. I think a balance needs to be struck when it comes to claiming balls and he sometimes is over-eager imo. But I'm no goalie expert.

Well i really need to be off head shotting fookers in a random fps but ..If any normal fan can name me a better british based keeper over the last 10 years then yeah i might think your baseless opinion to actually have substance.I will say that Given has been a better keeper than any other collectively over the last 10 years too.Only Friedel would actually compare to him but i guess he isn't sky sport top keeper material either....

The thing is, you first said he's one of the best in the world and now are asking for us to name better British based Goalkeepers, come on now, which is it to be?

To answer your question, David Seaman and Peter Schmeichel were certainly much better than Given, Van Der Sar at United, Schwarzer is a much better all round Goalkeeper, Nigel Martyn at Leeds in his prime was a much better all round Goalkeeper then as you have said already, Brad Friedel. That's just off the top of my head.

Ah hell then what i am i saying.. I am replying to someone who played goalkeeper on a fas course. Why did you think you playing goalkeeper would actually give you more qualifications over someone who didn't play goalkeeper ?

Find me a fan of a club ,who hates who Given plays for, and wishes he was their keeper, oh that's me and 100m other fookin fans.

We are deluded Irishs/chinese/American anti City fans i think cos they has spendzedz 250m to fail...

Seriously? That's crazy. I can understand about Jussi but Kirkland is abolsutely hopeless.

• Advertisement

Ah hell then what i am i saying.. I am replying to someone who played goalkeeper on a fas course. Why did you think you playing goalkeeper would actually give you more qualifications over someone who didn't play goalkeeper ?

Find me a fan of a club ,who hates who Given plays for, and wishes he was their keeper, oh that's me and 100m other fookin fans.

We are deluded Irishs/chinese/American anti City fans i think cos they has spendzedz 250m to fail...

Eh, for a start, the FAI Inter-League isn't a FAS Course mate, why don't you gain some knowledge on the Tournament before you start spouting off, I'm sure Shay Given played in it at some stage.

I never said I had more qualifications, just that I felt I was intitled to comment as I'm knowlegeable about the position.

Basically, you've lost the debate and have now resorted to petty insults and rants. The sign of a wounded poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

Reina only has 15 votes?!?!?!

Him and Given are by far the best keepers in the Premiership, both had great seasons.

There's abolsutely no point trying to argue with you. Come back when your balls have dropped.

Night. x

All he meant by it was that having substantial experience in the position that he would know how to rate how good a keeper, theres a lot of things that normal football fans and outfield players don't notice about a keeper. Keepers who have 10 years experience will surely know a thing or two about goalkeeping.

Advertisement