Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leixlip 5k Road Race - Sat 8th May (11am)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

jb-ski wrote: »
    +1 this is my club 5K, so i know the route well,
    but i've never raced a 5k (or shorter than 10K) before.
    I don't think I've ever trained less than 4.5 miles, come to think of it. I've certainly never raced (even partly) round a track either :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dipity

Just signed up. Looking forward to this though don't like the shorter races either! It's a bit of a challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

Looking at going for a PB in this, don't suppose any of you serious guys are interested in pacing a group to get them under 19.30?

Hi NT - I know of a few guys who plan to run between 19 and 20 minutes so you wont be alone in that quest. My advice is to not go all-out up the little hill in the first km - so you will be able to enjoy the downhill approach in the last km.

Dipity wrote: »
    Just signed up. Looking forward to this though don't like the shorter races either! It's a bit of a challenge.

Well done Dipity - if you are used to longer stuff - you'll find this no trouble at all - a mere 5000m, three and a little bit miles ;)

chinguetti wrote: »
    exodus to Kildare
    Its only over the border - easily accessible by car, bus, rail and if you wish via Weston Aerodrome :D
    chinguetti wrote: »
    I'ld love to get a pb but i'll be using it as a speed session for Edinburgh. I'll crack 19 mins another day.

If you can show restraint in the the heat of the race, I'll be impressed - something I am never able to do ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

lecheile wrote: »
    Well done Dipity - if you are used to longer stuff - you'll find this no trouble at all - a mere 5000m, three and a little bit miles ;)

beware the little bit..the longest c. 30 seconds of your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Looking at going for a PB in this, don't suppose any of you serious guys are interested in pacing a group to get them under 19.30?

i'd love to do this in 20 minutes (or less). are there many here aiming for this time?
    be nice to hang in with a group, and i mean hang in at 4min k pace.

there's a toughish hill at start, but it levels out after that, and then a gentle downhill, so it's definitely achievable.

i run stages of the route in training, but never all out for 5k,
    should i give it a blast before race day or wait?

i also hope to do Sportsworld 5m, i'll have the same question before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

If I enter this then I will be looking at sub 20, 19:48 is my PB and I would like to beat this. As already mentioned on this threat I have a Half Marathon the week after so should probably behave myself and take it easy but that is easier said then done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

This race goes past the entrance to the estate I live in... I have ran the course many a time.

The "hill" at the start is a bridge up and over the railway line and the canal. Sneaky enough for the start of a short race, but not too serious.
    In saying that, I always find the wind in my face going over it - regardless of the direction I am running :confused:

Hoping to hit 20 minutes in this one (5km PB 20:59)....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If I enter this then I will be looking at sub 20, 19:48 is my PB and I would like to beat this. As already mentioned on this threat I have a Half Marathon the week after so should probably behave myself and take it easy but that is easier said then done :)

I'm going for a half marathon the next day, but I really can't see myself taking it easy in this one either. A rush of blood to the head when I line up at the start and any plans for a steady run go out the window. Have to make sure I beat LeCheile anyway. :D

MaroonTam wrote: »
    This race goes past the entrance to the estate I live in...
    If you are that close to the route MT you should be running with us a lot more often ;). Wednesday evenings 8pm track behind the Amenities!

robinph wrote: »
    Have to make sure I beat LeCheile anyway. :D
    Going to have to disappoint you Robinph - won't be able to run this time. Showdown will have to wait for the Intel 10k (I'll let you make the first move this year :) )

Or what about Plan B - I let you take the Kildare Half and you give me the Intel 10??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

At least I know the balloons will keep you in check on the Kildare one and you'll not be chasing me down. I'll have to get back to you on the Intel one and if I'll let you beat me this year. :)

OK time to sign up for this so.....

thanks petermij - if there are any other lurkers out there who intend on running, it will be a big help if you all don't leave it to the last minute to sign up!! I don't want you all giving out there there were no nice bits of cake left:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Is it possible to sign up on the morning of the race?
    Have something on on the Friday night and not sure if the legs will be up for racing on the Saturday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Signed up during the week
    Unlikely to better my poor time from last year as fatherhood has had a disasterous impact on training
    At this stage I'm just glad to be getting out occassionally

Good stuff peterm - see you on saturday week - that's only 12 days away!!! For those of you who are counting.

Any of you who plan to run the race and have not registered, please note that it is only 12 days away

Is it possible to sign up on the morning of the race?
    Yes it is NT - unfortunately it will cost you a bit more - please see below.
    Have something on on the Friday night and not sure if the legs will be up for racing on the Saturday morning
    If you let me know the range of probabilities of you not being able to attend on Saturday I can run it through the predictive model - I'm fairly confident that it will indicate pre-registering will deliver the most cost-effective option, than risk paying €15 on the day:D

Hi Lecheile,

i meant to ask you, any celebs or anybody interesting doing this race?:)

other than yourself of course..................

• Advertisement

jb-ski wrote: »
    any celebs or anybody interesting doing this?

Well Ultraman has offered to sign photos from Connemara, he got 2 extra ones printed. That celeb enough for you???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Well Ultraman has offered to sign photos from Connemara, he got 2 extra ones printed. That celeb enough for you???

will there be enuf pens to go around,dont want to delay the start of the race....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Hi guys, I am looking for clarification on the date of this event. I signed up a few months ago and it was definitely May the 8th. I have since heard and read that it was the 9th on the Sunday, I also read Sat 9th of May!! Does anybody know for sure the date? I can do the Sat but not the Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

El_D, its defo the saturday.

Unfortunately due to injury im now out

kennyb3 wrote: »

+1 - not sure where confusion may have come from. The Kildare Half is on the Sunday 9th
    That's a pity kennyb3 hope you recover well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Thanks guys!

Just in case anyone is looking for more information on the race the website url www.lecheileac.com is down at the moment (somewhere in limbo between two hosts :mad:) Detailed information available from this link here

or if there are any specific questions PM me or post here.
    thanks.

Anyone wishing to familiar themselves with the route can see it on the following youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98ilxIJGv4k

If there are any last few questions, please ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Disaster! Who's going to run 18:59 with me?!

How bad is the injury? Good to go in a few weeks or bad-bad? (like my emphasis there?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Can't believe it's on next weekend. I was supposed to get all my speed training done in the last few weeks.

• Advertisement

Can't believe it's on next weekend. I was supposed to get all my speed training done in the last few weeks.

i suppose you've been lazing around on the couch these last few weeks.........;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Think this will be this slow beginner's first ever race.

Shaping up that way anyhow!

Think this will be this slow beginner's first ever race.

Shaping up that way anyhow!
    You'll be in good company southofnowhere there will be plenty who will be making racing debut next Saturday.

we could be in for weather suitable for running :)

Saturday Morning, Mostly cloud and sun, high of 10 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

Looking forward to this one. It was one of my favorite 5K's last year. Have a bit of an ankle injury but I'll give the sub 16 another go.

gmurran wrote: »
    Looking forward to this one. It was one of my favorite 5K's last year. Have a bit of an ankle injury but I'll give the sub 16 another go.

That's the sort of talk we like to hear gmurran! If you manage your sub-16 you will achieve a course record. This is the second year on the new course and last year was won by Eoghan McGinley (Cranford AC). It will be nice to have someone a bit more local holding the record ;)

Last year's results available here
    Thanks gmurran for reminder of broken link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Darnation!! Gone and done it now.... Entered online, now have to get up early on Saturday:rolleyes:

Darnation!! Gone and done it now.... Entered online, now have to get up early on Saturday:rolleyes:

Its not that early meathcountysec - I'll have the kettle on and you can have a cup of tea before you run:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

How many people have signed up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Its not that early meathcountysec - I'll have the kettle on and you can have a cup of tea before you run:)

Charmed, I'm sure;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Just signed up for it, looking forward to it! Haven't ran a 5k since Paddys Day.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    How many people have signed up?

Hi VB - we have just over 150 registered as of close of business yesterday - that is just under the total number who completed the race last year - expecting bigger numbers this year :D

We will be accepting online entries up until 4pm on Friday (7th) which are still priced at €10 (NO hidden OR processing charges!!)

Registration will be possible on the morning of the race for an entry fee of €15 and will be accepted up to 10:30. If you intend registering on the morning of the race, please arrive early and allow plenty of time, so that we can ensure that we have a prompt start at 11.

Thanks for the great support to date and I look forward to us all having a successful race on Saturday.

Any last minute questions, please ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Wild Rover

Signed up also, new to the Dublin running scene so looking forward to it :)

• Advertisement

Just signed up - not so sure about the 19minute target that I mentioned here before but looking forward to a good run on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

Unfortunately I won't be doing it but some of the folk I work with have signed up or are planning to do. Best of luck all - looks like being a super event.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

It might have been mentioned before, but coming from the Dublin side where is the best place to park. Don't really know Leixlip at all.

Wild Rover wrote: »
    Signed up also, new to the Dublin running scene so looking forward to it :)

or even the Kildare running scene!;)
    It might have been mentioned before, but coming from the Dublin side where is the best place to park. Don't really know Leixlip at all.

there is limited car parking at the Race Venue, Leixlip Amenities Centre, but there are plenty of spaces available in the Council Car Park (Lidl) beside the Centre.

but don't worry Parking will be well marshalled, we'll find everyone a space.

see you tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

Thanks a million for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement