Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leixlip 5k Road Race - Sat 8th May (11am)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

mrak wrote: »
    Unfortunately I won't be doing it but some of the folk I work with have signed up or are planning to do. Best of luck all - looks like being a super event.

thanks a lot, Mrak

there's alway next year!

(for the HP / Intel challenge....)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

might head down and give this a bash.....in heavy training at the mo but need a race to break up the the monotony i reckon,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I'm hoping to get the all clear from the boss to run. Anybody have a link to last years results ?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

I'm hoping to get the all clear from the boss to run. Anybody have a link to last years results ?

Last years results

http://d1029335.blacknight.com/lecheileac.com/2009_5k_Road_Race_Results.pdf

I'm feeling a bit on the stiff side today but hope to run better than a disappointing 13th last year. I've only done one session since Limerick last weekend so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

I have had a number of queries from people trying to register online. We had to close entry at 4 so that a final reg list could be produced. If anyone here (as a special favour for our Boards friends ;)) wants to pre-register and avail of the €10 entry fee. Please PM me the details on the form here and I'll include you on the list. Can you also print out the form and bring it along in the morning. Join the Pre-reg queue and had over your €10.

Any questions please ask.

lecheile I cant find it on google maps but if I remember the race start and registration point is near the train station?

Thanks

gmurran wrote: »
    lecheile I cant find it on google maps but if I remember the race start and registration point is near the train station?

Thanks

Just down the hill from the Train Station (the second Leixlip one from town - Louisa Bridge) come out of the station and turn right. The bridge is the 4k point and you will see the finish as you walk towards the amenities centre.

Course route here.

lecheile wrote: »
    If anyone here (as a special favour for our Boards friends ;)) wants to pre-register and avail of the €10 entry fee. Please PM me the details on the form

Just sent you a PM with my details. Looking forward to this now. Haven't done much since a marathon 2 weeks back so will be a nice way of getting back into things.

Fantastic race lecheile couldn't fault a thing. You really have a great club from the organisation at the start to the hospitality at the end. Allot of clubs and especially the AAI could learn a thing or two about how to put on a top notch, enjoyable race.

My race didn't go to plan I started fading at the 3Km mark. I was way off my target after two ridiculous sub 3 minute kilometers. I got passed twice in the last 1500m. Still I think I finished 6th so I'm happy with that.

After running it two years in a row I think the course is tougher than it lets on but still really enjoyable. Rathfarnham is still the easiest course for a 5K PB I've found.

Again thanks for today I really enjoyed it. I'll be out doing a nice easy run this evening starting my training for next year. If I can make the same improvement for next year I should get top 3.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Another PB for me by about 50 seconds which I am happy with.

I'm certain I could take a bit more off the times yet though and the wind through the middle sections was a challenge and couldn't find anyone to hide behind. Picked up the pace though when the first woman went past me though and managed to get back infront before the finish. :)

Met a few more boardsies after the race as well so was good to see the real people.

The course, organisation and most importantly the cakes, were all excellent. Well done Le Cheile AC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

Yeah. That was a great race - impeccably organised, a nice course, and great grub as well. The lap of the track was a killer for me. I nearly expired on the 100m to the finish..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Had a crack at this race today, started fine was actually leading to my surprise and then running down the hill my left hamsting felt very tight first km 2.56, I eased off a bit and 1 lad passed me, then another one or two lads passed me, the hammer was not feeling good could fell it getting tighter, passed the 2km 6.09...was feelin good but was a bit worried about my leg, then out off no were felt a sharp pain in my left achilles, I pulled to the side off the road and stretched, the pain did ease but I was'nt goin to risk running on it. Anyways called it a day and walked back to the start were I had a nice cup off coffee, some carrot cake and a muffin :D. Never had a problem with my hamstring or achilles before, then again I've never ran a 5km, probably running at faster speed. To those who did'nt run today, its a cracking race, very well organised, will defo be back next year, the food at the end is worth the 15euro alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dipity

That was a great run and I don't think anyone was disappointed from speaking to people afterwards. Tea and cakes went down very nicely. The wind certainly made it a challenge but I still got a PB so delighted with that. Looking forward to next years race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Narrowly missed out on a sub 19. I thought I was well under and definitely could have squeezed out another 3 seconds if I knew I was close. Think my finishing time was 19:01 or 19:02. Thought I saw 18:20 on the clock coming around the home stretch but it may have been 18:40. An older guy made a move to overtake but I stayed with him and managed to weave around a guy who was in my lane and flagging. I live for the sprint finish!

Robinph, Ral3 and myself were photographed looking pretty awesome at the start. There were two boards singlets on display.

Good man gmurran. 6th is impressive. What was your time? The winner was around 15:30 (not 100% sure) so that's definitely a new course record. The wind was a killer on the back stretches. Definitely pays to be part of a group through those windy sections.

@Plodder - I love the track at the end. You know exactly how long is left in the race and how hard you can go. I hate the races that you turn a corner and there's the finish line. I can't *really* go for it until I can see the finish line.

Bananas water and chocolate right on the finish line is great for when all you can do is collapse on the ground. Then when you've recovered sufficiently you can get loads and loads of buns, chocolate cake, fruit cake, biscuits, more chocolate, tea and coffee, water, sweet drinks etc over at the tents. It really is an impressive operation.

heffsarmy wrote: »
    To those who did'nt run today, its a cracking race, very well organised, will defo be back next year, the food at the end is worth the 15euro alone.

Or 10 euro if you registered online!

PS: Disclaimer - I'm a member of the club but I wasn't involved in the organisation this year. I'm sure I'll have several jobs next year!

Good man gmurran. 6th is impressive. What was your time? The winner was around 15:30 (not 100% sure) so that's definitely a new course record. The wind was a killer on the back stretches. Definitely pays to be part of a group through those windy sections.

I dont think the winning time was that fast but again I'm not 100%. Winner hadn't finished by the time I had 400 to go and I was high 16 mins.

@heffsarmy I passed you out around 1.7K and was surprised at how much you had slowed down. I was thinking you went out too fast.

Well done everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

I was high 16 mins.

@heffsarmy I passed you out around 1.7K and was surprised at how much you had slowed down. I was thinking you went out too fast.

Good going gmurran, I know the lad who put up the tents, he said the winner done it around 15.4???. You passed me as I was slowing down, leg did'nt feel right, plenty in the tank though. It was my first 5km attempt, will be back for more next year.

robinph wrote: »
    Another PB for me by about 50 seconds which I am happy with.

Well done on the PB Robin and thanks for the feedback - See you in Kildare tomorrow.

Dipity wrote: »
    That was a great run and I don't think anyone was disappointed from speaking to people afterwards. Tea and cakes went down very nicely.

Thanks Dipity - the cakes were so impressive that a group of visiting french runners had to take pics to show them back home how races are catered for in Ireland:)

• Advertisement

I dont think the winning time was that fast but again I'm not 100%.

thanks for the complimentary feedback gmurran - good to meet you this morning but unfortunately could not hang around to see the race - the winning time was 15:35 - I have not seen the official result list - I am waiting to have a file mailed to me and will format and post this evening sometime.

heffsarmy wrote: »
    I pulled to the side off the road and stretched, the pain did ease but I was'nt goin to risk running on it. Anyways called it a day and walked back to the start.
    I'd heard about you in the relayed race report heffs - hope there is not too much damage done. See you next year ;)

I'm sure I'll have several jobs next year!

If we can figure out what you are useful for :D

lecheile wrote: »
    thanks for the complimentary feedback gmurran - good to meet you this morning but unfortunately could not hang around to see the race - the winning time was 15:35 - I have not seen the official result list - I am waiting to have a file mailed to me and will format and post this evening sometime.

Thanks for the update. 15:35's a good solid time in to that strong wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

Congratulations on a great event and as for the weather how did ye manage that (don't take credit for the wind though) :-)

It was a well organised event and the communication was excellent. I found the track a little heavy at the end but that's prob more cause I'm not used to running on grass. I didn't get to sub 19 but I did manage a PB so happy enough with that. Legs felt a bit heavy coming around the track and even though I love the sprint finishes but thought it was best not to push too hard with a Half Marathon next week and the calves felt a little bit tight but saying that natural instinct just pushed me in the last 50metres think I passed a few people.

Looking forward to results now just for a look and once again Congratulations. Not running all that long but this will be on my calendar for next year.

Thanks for an enjoyable morning.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

What a well run run! Thanks to the Le Cheile Club, all going next year I will be back. Tougher race than I thought it would be, hadn't great prep this week so no PB but still happy with 18:59, on the day I really couldn't have done anymore, the fact that 5 (yes 5!) lads passed me in the last 70m and I had no response is testament to that.

Well Done to all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Just to say to LeCheile AC, well done on organising a great race. Thanks a million.
    You improved the run in to the grass track so those of us plodders coming in at the end didn't have the battle the front runners on their way back to get changed.
    Tea and cakes were top class, crowd seemed friendly and the sun shone. How do you manage to arrange these things?:D
    Any idea when the results will be up online?

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Any idea when the results will be up online?

See post above

I am waiting to have a file mailed to me and will format and post this evening sometime.

What a well run run! Thanks to the Le Cheile Club, all going next year I will be back. Tougher race than I thought it would be, hadn't great prep this week so no PB but still happy with 18:59, on the day I really couldn't have done anymore, the fact that 5 (yes 5!) lads passed me in the last 70m and I had no response is testament to that.

Well Done to all!

Hey El D, myself (light grey singlet, red shorts) and an older guy had a sprint finish and we passed one guy just before the line. Does that found familiar? Not trying to rub it in but if that was you I passed then it means I also got 18:59 which was my aim.

(Probably be too good to be true - I'll wait for the official results!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

hey lecheile

Congratulations on a well organised race today. I have to admit, before the start it did not like the look of the "off road" section coming up to the track, but it was grand when we got there.

Sprinting my hardest down the last 100m, I missed my goal by the narrowest of margins. Very happy with my 20.01 finish time a PB by a good 58 seconds. Pesky wind on the back stretch down past the school cost me that one second (or so I am claiming :D)

I will be back for more next year :)

Hey El D, myself (light grey singlet, red shorts) and an older guy had a sprint finish and we passed one guy just before the line. Does that found familiar? Not trying to rub it in but if that was you I passed then it means I also got 18:59 which was my aim.

Ha! Sounds too familar!! :( I was in the Liffey Valley singlet (bright yellow). I took my time from my garmin which actually read 18:59 for 5k 81metres.

That was some finish between you two, annoyed I let 5 people pass me down the straight but I really didn't have it in the legs......at least I've a rest day tomorrow.....not! (first tri of 2010) :D

• Advertisement

That's good prep for a tri alright! :)

I was passed by one guy with about 250 metres to go and I was just trying to hold onto the guy in front. Then when the other guy made a move I had to go with him. Glad I did now! :)

thanks for all the positive comments, it was a great day.

the Le Chéile crew all ran very well, and enjoyed ourselves.

thanks for the good company!

and an older guy had a sprint finish

GoHard, well done, but less of the ageism please:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Le Cheile, well done to all of ye on the race and before and after for all the work. Brilliant event and all went smoothly i think.

I did it in 19.12 and not far off a PB so i'm blaming the wind, which was a killer at point esp. at the back straight. It was nice to finish on a track for a change. All going well i'll be back next year if ye sort out the wind, twould be great:D

Hi also to Plodder and Southofnowhere who came up to say hello.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I complained to them last year about the wind as well, but despite them fixing the sun to shine this time round (I think I may have got a small bit burnt on top) they didn't manage to do anything about the wind. I hope they do manage to fix that for next time though as it really need to be sorted. :D

Did I mention that the cakes were great?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

So enjoyed the race this morning. The tea/cakes were fabulous and the weather was fantastic, despite the wind.
    Plus everyone was so friendly - great organisation also.
    Also my husband took some photos of me mid run (cringe) and he was snap happy for the whole race - he has some great pics.
    Where could he post them so people can have them. Any suggestions? Maybe somebody from the club would like them to distribute.

jcsmum wrote: »
    So enjoyed the race this morning. The tea/cakes were fabulous and the weather was fantastic, despite the wind.
    Plus everyone was so friendly - great organisation also.
    Also my husband took some photos of me mid run (cringe) and he was snap happy for the whole race - he has some great pics.
    Where could he post them so people can have them. Any suggestions? Maybe somebody from the club would like them to distribute.

RacePix is a good place to put them:
    RacePix F.A.Q.

If you've not already got one then you'd need to create a Flickr account to get them up on RacePix, but they are free to create.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ceekay

I love the comments on this website. I think I may be the "older" guy! No offence taken unless your more than 52. I couldn't stop my watch with the buzz of our finish, so looking forward to the results. Not 100% sure if I got passed El D so we'll have to await the photo finish, so apologies to ya "El D" if I was a place out of turn! Great grub after especially the chocolate cake!

That's good prep for a tri alright! :)

I was passed by one guy with about 250 metres to go and I was just trying to hold onto the guy in front. Then when the other guy made a move I had to go with him. Glad I did now! :)

I'll get a good look at you now in the pics and keep an eye out for you again.....revenge will be mine hehe ;)

Actually, someone has already been quick off the mark and there are photos appearing on RacePix already here:

Le Cheile 5km on RacePix

This is my favourite though:
    4588605657_8078a03b30.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Why am I not surprised?! Come on, admit it, you only do races for the food afterwards... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Ha! Sounds too familar!! :( I was in the Liffey Valley singlet (bright yellow). I took my time from my garmin which actually read 18:59 for 5k 81metres.

That was some finish between you two, annoyed I let 5 people pass me down the straight but I really didn't have it in the legs......at least I've a rest day tomorrow.....not! (first tri of 2010) :D

I must have been sprinting against you guys as I came in at 18:57.
    Well done to Le Cheile on a well organised race and the spread afterwards was brilliant.
    I never knew that you had that grass track hidden at the back of the amenities

There is no other reason for putting yourself through the effort. There is a limit to how many t-shirts you can collect from races, but you can never get enough cakes. Although I did see someone very nearly get defeated by a very large slice of chocolate cake afterwards, they won the battle in the end though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

There is no other reason for putting yourself through the effort. There is a limit to how many t-shirts you can collect from races, but you can never get enough cakes. Although I did see someone very nearly get defeated by a very large slice of chocolate cake afterwards, they won the battle in the end though.

Yes you can get enough cakes!! Unfortunately my dairy and egg allergies mean I don't get to partake in the after-race gorging so I have to make do with t-shirts and endorphins from running...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Actually, someone has already been quick off the mark and there are photos appearing on RacePix already here:

Le Cheile 5km on RacePix

Woah! LeCheile never mentioned this when he was boasting about this race last week...

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

In my 3 months running I learn't my most important lesson here today, that if you're not 100%(ash clouds, flights trains ferries etc) you will struggle, and boy did I struggle. Knew on the warm up lap things weren't good, and by the second km I was under pressure, and the wind didn't help.

A big thank you to the guy who encouraged me on the last km to keep going when I stopped to walk.

Anyhow managed to get to get to the finish in 26 min, about 3 mins slower than my last 5k, but I suppose all part of the learing curve.

Less about my struggles, a great race, great organisation, and great food. Much better than any t-shirt, which at this stage I already had enough. My wife who even had a chance to go shopping while the race was on was very impressed with the spread at the end.

Looking forward already to next year.

ssh! please stop telling everyone about our wonderful cooks and bakers here in Leixlip, they'll be headhunted by RTE/BBC etc for some cookery programme and then what'll we do for next year!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ceekay

Shucks:(! Firstly I'm the "older" guy involved in the sprint. Then I was nearly beaten by a slice of chocolate cake! (It was a very big piece). Give me a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

No need to include of the great comments from here to advertise the race for next year....just include this photo.

Emmmmmm.......CAKES!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I'ld also like to say that the cakes were great. I met a friend and she wondered where my t-shirt/goody bag was from the race was and i answered 'You should have seen the cakes'. i'm hungry as i type this....

• Advertisement

Ran this today and it was a great race. Route itself was grand, quite fast, a little windy but the organisers can't do anything about the the wind:D Registration was fast, plenty of parking and race started on time.

I thought it was great that the race starter pointed out to all participants that walkers and joggers should not be at the front. A few people around me took a few steps back and looked relieved to have this information passed onto them.

Nice finish on a grass track and plenty of water and chocolate at the finish line. I did a decent cool down and myself and a friend were kicking ourselves we hadn't grabbed any chocolate as we assumed there would be nothing left refreshments wise by the time we got back. We needn't have worried. The photos above don't do the spread any justice, and the cake Robin referred to was awesome.

Le Cheile club members and helpers were great. The best 10 euro I have spent in a while. I'd love to bring people who are entering these new, badly organised (IMO) expensive races out to this race. I personally am not into goody bags (usually contain nothing anyway) and crappy tee shirts so was glad not to have to spend 20 instead of my 10.

This race is definitely in my top 5 and I'll be back again.

Thanks again to lecheile for registering me late last night after official registrations had closed. I feel I should have paid you the extra fiver because I went to town on your refreshments tent :)

Advertisement