Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how cheap could you assemble a squad capable of winning the PL

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

This is going to be very hard to do and very time consuming, but I think my starting points would be Senna, Toni and Diego.

Senna is a quality holding midfielder who is getting on in years and therefore could be got relatively cheaply.

Toni has scored a sh1tload of goals everywhere he's played but has fallen out with Van Gaal and it looks like Bayern may be trying to offload him. He's no Drogba or Torres, but his track record and price would be enough for me.

Diego hasn't started well at Juve and the fans are already on his back. I'd imagine you'd have to pay at least 15 million to get him but he's a real talent and he could be the player you build your team around.

I'd also be hitting up Madrid for a couple of their rejects, players like Van Der Vaart who are unquestionably talented, they have just struggled to properly espress it in the league they are currently in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

A team capable of winning the Premiership needs at least 3 world class players in it. Chelsea; Drogba, Terry, Lampard
    United; Rooney, Ferdinand, Vidic

in comparison to;
    Arsenal; Fabregas . . . that's it.
    Liverpool; Gerard, Torres. No titles in generations

Impossible to create a Premiership winning team around less than 3 world class players

for arsenal you forgot almunia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

23 Man Squad - Estimated Values

GK. Scott Loach - 3million, Joe Hart - 5million, Guillermo Ochoa - 5million

CB. Richard Dunne - 6million, Phil Jagielka - 7million, Daniel Agger - 7million, Christoph Metzelder - 5million
    LB. Leighton Baines - 6million, Maynor Figueroa - 6million
    RB. Darijo Srna - 7.5million, Rafael da Silva - 5million

CM. Yaya Touré - 10million, Michael Carrick - 10million, Jack Wilshere - 6million, Mikel Arteta - 10million
    LM. Yossi Benayoun - 6million, Yuri Zhirkov - 15million
    RM. Gabriel Obertan - 5million, Maxi Rodriguez - 7.5million

CF. Ruud van Nistelrooy - 5million, Eidur Gudjohnsen - 5million, Sergio Aguero - 30million, Kiko Macheda - 5million

Starting XI

Ochoa
    -Srna
    Dunne
    Jagielka----Figueroa-
    -Rodriguez----Touré
    Arteta
    Zhirkov-
    van Nistelrooy----Aguero

Total Cost: 177million

This is all estimated values, some may be too high, some may be too low.
    If the squad is hit with any major injuries I think I have enough cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

A team capable of winning the Premiership needs at least 3 world class players in it. Chelsea; Drogba, Terry, Lampard

in comparison to;

Impossible to create a Premiership winning team around less than 3 world class players

define world class player...............

Macca07 wrote: »
    This is all estimated values, some may be too high, some may be too low.
    If the squad is hit with any major injuries I think I have enough cover

yeah like agger, Jagielka, toure who are all worth at least twice your estimated price imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

in comparison to;

You need great players, but its more about the strength in depth of your squad.
    Liverpool and Arsenal have a lot of top notch players but they don't have adequate replacements for them if they get injured.
    If you gave either Liverpool or Arsenal the following players in addition to their regular first team players and usual substitutes they would be challenging for the title every year.

Hilario, Alex, Ferreira, Zhirkov, Park, Gibson, Deco, Tosic, Kalou, Wellbeck.

None of these are regular starters for United or Chelsea. Thats where the wage bill comes in, they can afford to pay these players enough money to keep them happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

GK 1 Víctor Valdés
    RB 5 Carles Puyol (c)
    CB 24 Yaya Touré
    CB 3 Gerard Piqué
    LB 16 Sylvinho
    DM 28 Sergio Busquets
    CM 6 Xavi
    CM 8 Andrés Iniesta
    RW 10 Lionel Messi
    LW 14 Thierry Henry
    CF 9 Samuel Eto'o

Substitutes:
    GK 13 José Manuel Pinto
    DF 2 Martín Cáceres
    DF 46 Marc Muniesa
    MF 15 Seydou Keita
    FW 7 Eiður Guðjohnsen
    FW 11 Bojan Krkić
    FW 27 Pedro Rodríguez

Couple of Hundred Million I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Gk- Freidel 2m, Dudek 1m

Rb- Ferreira 2m, Arbeloa 2.5m

Lb- Assou-Ekotto 4m, Baines 5m

Cb- Dunne 5m, Alex 5m, Caldwell 5m, Hyypia 1m

Rm- N,Zogbia 5m, Bentley 6m

Lm- Riera 5m, Kranjcar 3m

Cm- Mikel 3m, Petrov 5m, Cana 5m, Deco 5m

Fw- Chemekh 8m, higuain 8m, Torres 30m, Ngog 2m

About 130 mil :P And a lot of strenght and depth

^^^ you really think you will get torres for £30m when alonso went for that and berbatov went for £32m :eek:

hindsight is a great thing

4 years ago most wouldn't have had torres on their team, in fact spending £20m on torres at the time was a huge gamble by liverpool, spanish strikers had failed badly in england up to that point (morientes, reyes recent examples), freddie kanote had scored twice as many goals the season torres signed for liverpool and kanote was far from a world beater at spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah Torres is worth a feckload of money - that I will not dispute. Young, fast, good-looking, great hair, a marketing man's dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

GK: Almunia - Fabianski

DL: Clichy - Traore - Gibbs
    DR: Sagna - Eboue
    DC: Vermalen - Hangeland - Shawcross - Gallas

DMC: Mascherano - Song - Diaby
    MC: Fabregas - Arteta - Denilson

AMR: Arshavin - Walcott
    AMC: Van Persie - Gerrard
    AML: Nasri - Rosicky

ST: Torres - Eduardo - Bendnter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

slingerz wrote: »
    GK: Almunia - Fabianski

DL: Clichy - Traore - Gibbs
    DR: Sagna - Eboue
    DC: Vermalen - Hangeland - Shawcross - Gallas

DMC: Mascherano - Song - Diaby
    MC: Fabregas - Arteta - Denilson

AMR: Arshavin - Walcott
    AMC: Van Persie - Gerrard
    AML: Nasri - Rosicky

ST: Torres - Eduardo - Bendnter

Will you play your home games at White Hart Lane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Might be worth while when posting teams to post your criteria i.e. are you just trying to assemble a squad with money no object (a la City) or are you trying to take cost (either past transfers or what you reckon players would currently cost) or are you using some other criteria.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    Gk- Freidel 2m, Dudek 1m

Rb- Ferreira 2m, Arbeloa 2.5m

Lb- Assou-Ekotto 4m, Baines 5m

Cb- Dunne 5m, Alex 5m, Caldwell 5m, Hyypia 1m

Rm- N,Zogbia 5m, Bentley 6m

Lm- Riera 5m, Kranjcar 3m

Cm- Mikel 3m, Petrov 5m, Cana 5m, Deco 5m

Fw- Chemekh 8m, higuain 8m, Torres 30m, Ngog 2m

About 130 mil :P And a lot of strenght and depth

No way you would get Higuain for less than 25m, he is better than Benzema

Chemekh is a clever one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

No way you would get Higuain for less than 25m, he is better than Benzema
    The first part I agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Some of these valuations are ridiculous. Going by what someone was transfered for this summer or an approximate value. Absolutely pointless looking back at someone's last transfer fee if it's a few years ago

GK:Robinson (2m), Hart (loan)

RB: Srna (6m)Beletti (2m)
    LB: Grosso (2m) Arbeloa (2m)
    CB: Dunne (5m)Kjaer(4m)Huth(5m)Legrotaigle(s)(3m)

LM:Ben Arfa (agreed transfer to Olympiakos for 8m) Krancjar (2.5m)
    RM: Gutiérrez (5m) Mannini (4m)
    CM: Cattermole (6m) Sneijder (15m) Donovan (loan) C. Zanetti (2m)

CF: Cassano (15m), Pazzini (10m) ,Toni (free, Bayern desperate to get rid), Pandev (probably for free, maybe 5M. Lazio refuse to play him for political reasons and his contract is up this summer)

108.5/113.5m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

its all well and good trying to put the team together for cheap but the op wanted a team that could win the league most of them would struggle to get top 4 imo

Can anybody give me an educated guess of how much these players would cost?

Hilario
    Alex
    Ferreira
    Zhirkov
    Park
    Gibson
    Deco
    Tosic
    Kalou
    Wellbeck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Some of these valuations are ridiculous. Going by what someone was transfered for this summer or an approximate value.
    Tbh i don't see the point of going by transfer fees from the summer gone. The bargains of last summer like Kranjcar, Dunne, Sneijder (was he 15m or something like that?) have been and gone. Those players would all cost significantly more now.

I'm still working on my list. This is ball achingly hard but a lot of fun.

eagle eye wrote: »

Hilario Free
    Alex ?????
    Ferreira £13.2m
    Zhirkov £18m
    Park £4m
    Gibson Youth
    Deco Free
    Tosic £7m
    Kalou £5m
    Wellbeck Youth

Hilario Free
    Ferreira £13.2m
    Zhirkov £18m
    Park £4m
    Deco Free
    Kalou £5m

This is what they cost in their last transfer. Have to figure in when it occurred as well. Zhirkov was this summer so unlikely to be that far off. Others further back probably need to be adjusted for form/age considerations.

Tosic £7m This is the sort of neighbourhood he was supposed to have cost but not 100% on it. Might be a bit high given how little he has done so far.
    Gibson Youth - Never transferred so tough to even guess
    Wellbeck Youth - Never transferred so tough to even guess
    Alex ????? - Not a clue

Hilario Free
    Ferreira £13.2m
    Zhirkov £18m
    Park £4m
    Deco Free
    Kalou £5m

This is what they cost in their last transfer. Have to figure in when it occurred as well. Zhirkov was this summer so unlikely to be that far off. Others further back probably need to be adjusted for form/age considerations.

Tosic £7m This is the sort of neighbourhood he was supposed to have cost but not 100% on it. Might be a bit high given how little he has done so far.
    Gibson Youth - Never transferred so tough to even guess
    Wellbeck Youth - Never transferred so tough to even guess
    Alex ????? - Not a clue
    Well Fereirra would not cost anything like that now. I'd guess about 6m at most for him. I'd guess about 12m for Deco. Hilario would probably cost 2-3m split the difference 2.5 mill.

Would 80m cover it? or 90m, 100m?

Well Fereirra would not cost anything like that now. I'd guess about 6m at most for him. I'd guess about 12m for Deco. Hilario would probably cost 2-3m split the difference 2.5 mill.

Would 80m cover it? or 90m, 100m?

I'd agree with Hilario and Fereirra but £12m for Deco no way.:eek:
    Don't think he fetch anything remotely like that in the transfer market.
    Reckon Chelsea would be doing well to get £2m for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Hilario
    Alex
    Ferreira
    Zhirkov
    Park
    Gibson
    Deco
    Tosic
    Kalou
    Wellbeck
    Park would almost certainly be 'not for sale' so would only be available at a stupidly inflated price. I guess around £15m before Fergie would see it as worth the hassle of replacing him.

If Wellbeck becomes available because of a striker surplus then maybe he could be let go at £10m (edit: actually probably a lot less than that). But that's purely hypothetical, he's more likely to be kept because of the 6+5 rule on the way.

Gibson maybe as little as £7m in the summer (I don't rate him much and I wouldn't pay that for him). I think lots of United fans would kick up a fuss if you gave a valuation that low though.

Tosic, I haven't a clue. His transfer in was tied in to Ljacic iirc so it's hard to say what he actually cost. And anyway he's a reserve player these days. Is he really worth a place in a small title contending squad yet? No imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

in comparison to;

Van Persie?? Arshavin??

as for Ferdinand being world class...:confused: dont think so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Pro. F wrote: »
    Tbh i don't see the point of going by transfer fees from the summer gone. The bargains of last summer like Kranjcar, Dunne, Sneijder (was he 15m or something like that?) have been and gone. Those players would all cost significantly more now.

I'm still working on my list. This is ball achingly hard but a lot of fun.

Yeah but I'm assuming your building a team for this year and not next year so it's fair enough to take the bargains of this years transfer window but some people are using very old valuations up there.

I mean, I'm pretty sure Liverpool rejected a 40m pound bid for Torres from Chelsea last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭GO'S

in comparison to;

guessing ur a united fan...only team like that would be chelsea and arsenal maybe

Advertisement