Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Partner same second name??

• 16-12-2009 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭

Had this discussion recently. Seems to divide people. Would you feel odd going out with someone if they had the same surname as you?

I've never come across it myself but I'd imagine its pretty weird.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

lies.

you're going out with your sister, arent you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

My sis and her big squeeze have same last name, freaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Rondolfus wrote: »
    Had this discussion recently. Seems to divide people. Would you feel odd going out with someone if they had the same surname as you?

We're not going to justify you banging your cousin!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I'd have more of an issue dating someone with the same first name as me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

You think they're freaks, wait till you see their kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

I've never come across it myself but I'd imagine its pretty weird.

it worked out fine for me and my older brother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭xxlilyxx

Jus think on the bright side ya wouldn hav to change your name if ya's got married, wouldn bother me i was wit someone years ago wit the same surname as me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

You think they're freaks, wait till you see their kids.

They'll turn out like this
    Only solution is this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I went out with someone with the same second name as me before - it's a pretty common one though. Shur arent we all cousins at the end of the day! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

why would it be weird? it would just be coincidence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Remember when Tom Cruz went out with Penelope Cruise. That was a bit weird.

So anyway.... what's this thread about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I wouldn't. And I'm a Murphy. I know chances are I am probably more closely related to a Singh, but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Being a mc donagh there is not a hope of me dating some knacker. Fook that for a game of soldiers.

Young one near me went with a fella who had the same first name and surname as her brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

But I don't know anyone else with the surname "God".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

seanybiker wrote: »
    Young one near me went with a fella who had the same first name and surname as her brother.

Bit sick when in the throws of passion she starts screaming his name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

whiterob81 wrote: »
    it worked out fine for me and my older brother

You married your brother? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Well, if we're to believe our bibles, there was Adam and Eve...

....and they had 2 sons.....

Anyone care to guess where the next generation came from ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭raptorman

Their ma?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Well on the plus side you dont got to get married, just pretend ye already did and save thousands on a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Insanodude

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Well, if we're to believe our bibles, there was Adam and Eve...

....and they had 2 sons.....

Anyone care to guess where the next generation came from ?

Genesis 4 and 5 give the story of Adam and Eve's family after they leave the garden: three children are named, Cain Abel and Seth, as well as other sons and daughters.

Sorry to tell ya but that makes them no worse than yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Used to be this girl I liked, was going to try with her one night till I heard her second name.

Glad I didn't, the incestrous tinkers jokes would have never ended (we both have tinker names)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Its kinda naughty.. I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

My brother and his bit on the side have the same last names too the freaks. You're sister isn't the freak going out with my freak of a brother by any chance? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Is this thread a means of dipping your toe in the water of AH approval before launching a thread called Partner Same Family?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I wouldn't.. Meehan's hardly a common name, It'd just be weird going out with someone else with it.

I'd imagine 'Smiths' and 'Jones' over here and 'Murphy' and 'Murray' over there getting together might be quite common, so I wouldn't think that was weird

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I'd find it weird to date a Conor, as that's my brother's name.

Conor's ex-girlfriend dated another Conor after him, which is also slightly weird. I mean, John, Sean, fair enough - much more common names (round here anyway) than Conor. But managing to date two guys of a less-common shared name one after the other would make me at least pause.

I've met virtually nobody with my surname (there's more lads who have my surname as a first name than as a surname) so I doubt it'll ever be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

_Roz_ wrote: »
    Conor's ex-girlfriend dated another Conor after him, which is also slightly weird. I mean, John, Sean, fair enough - much more common names (round here anyway) than Conor. But managing to date two guys of a less-common shared name one after the other would make me at least pause.

It is handy though in that it insures you never call them by the wrong name. I did that for a while, dated four girls in a row with the same name. Only problem is now that I call every girlfriend by that name and it gets me in all sorts of strife.

Maybe I just need to find another Consuela.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I was meeting someone for a while that had the same surname as me, but it's a very common surname. Never made any difference to us, it's not like I was calling them by their surname whilst in the throes of passion;)

I know a lesbian couple who are both called Laura..... Now THAT's weird!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

stovelid wrote: »
    Is this thread a means of dipping your toe in the water of AH approval before launching a thread called Partner Same Family?

No its a means of seeing how many people on boards make the same obvious joke again and again, yet still think they are being really witty and original. Unlike some people, I don't look for "approval" off strangers on an internet forum. That would be pretty pathetic. Each to their own I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Didnt bother me or my dad

Rgds
    Lizzy Fritzel

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Would be a bit odd alright...

Same first name, well, if its the female version of the name, its not so bad

I do know a girl who goes by the name off Andy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

And sure, one of their kids will have 'a cure'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Would you feel odd going out with someone if they had the same surname as you?
    No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

In Vietnam a massive 38.4 % of the population share the same surname. They're all called Nguyễn. OP should probably avoid going there if this same surname lark, freaks him out so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

brummytom wrote: »
    I wouldn't.. Meehan's hardly a common name, It'd just be weird going out with someone else with it.

I'd imagine 'Smiths' and 'Jones' over here and 'Murphy' and 'Murray' over there getting together might be quite common, so I wouldn't think that was weird

im a murray and i think its an awful surname id never go out with anyone with it!i need to marry out of the name asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

I went out with someone for years who had the same surname as me. Didn't bother me at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Wouldn't bother me at all. I hate my surname though :o
    My aunt had the same surname as her husband. It always confused me when I was younger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you have a common last name like Murphy it must happen all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

It wouldn't bother me personally, but the slagging would be unreal incest, inbred etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BDR

Could give your kids double barrel names 'James Doyle Doyle'. Only then would it become strange.

Though marrying someone with the same surname could become confusing when people are doing their family trees later :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I don't think it would bother me, Kelly is a popular surname so the chances of me going with someone of the same surname would be quite high...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Might be more common than people think .Smith is the most common name in the western world and must cause mass confusion in the famiily tree at times when Smiths marry Smiths

betafrog wrote: »
    Sure there was couple with the same first and last name that met over the net and are getting married...

linky

This was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title.

The number of people (outside the family obviously) I've met with my surname, well I could count them on one hand. It would be a bit strange but probably not a deal breaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

That would be pretty pathetic.

Not to worry. This relatively minor strain of pathetic would probably pass undetected in your usual voluminous stream of same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Wouldn't be that bad for the people in the relationship, you hardly need to mention your other half's last name much.... might just get funny reactions...

If you had the same first names it'd be confusing... Jamie is a boys and girls name for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

seanybiker wrote: »

Ewwww!! No way in hell. :eek:
    Wouldn't care less if he was my soulmate he would have to change his name by deed poll or however they do it.

My cousin married a dude who has the same first name as her brother....

Must be weird at times....

I know this couple, with the same name.
    Despite the obvious handiness.
    They still gave their children double barrell names!

:eek::eek::eek:

There should be a law against that kinda thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Moonbaby wrote: »

Now that is just plain stupid.

Nope it wouldnt be an issue for me, seems a pretty stupid thing to get hung up on really

Once of course I was sure he wasnt a close relation or anything - couldnt be having any of that now :D

Moonbaby wrote: »

Wrong... just... wrong. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I went out with 3 girls in a row called McLaughlin, the fella's took an almighty piss out of me after i finished with the third one, they'd go up to every girl in a club and say is your name Mclaughlin, if she said no they'd say "well he's not interested in you then".

• Advertisement
Advertisement