Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what should santa bring?

Options
  • 16-12-2009 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

I cant decide between getting my two and a half year old an easel with paints or a play kitchen.

Help me decide please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I'd go for the play kitchen and a little set of paints... the easel is more of a gimmick imo and they'll get as much fun painting on the kitchen table covered in newspapers!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The play kitchen definately:)
    I loved mine and played with it for years.
    An easel is a smaller present that a relation could buy or could be a birthday present.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The play kitchen would almost certainly get used more... our little fella has a 'bob the builder' workbench (it's not branded that way - just what he calls it, the BTB ones were flimsy rubbish) he plays with a hell of a lot. The paints require your input to set up etc, whereas the kitchen would just need to be in the corner and he can use it all the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Sleepy wrote: »
    The play kitchen would almost certainly get used more... our little fella has a 'bob the builder' workbench (it's not branded that way - just what he calls it, the BTB ones were flimsy rubbish) he plays with a hell of a lot. The paints require your input to set up etc, whereas the kitchen would just need to be in the corner and he can use it all the time...

Hed probably like something like that too. Eck I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Whether you get him a kitchen or a workbench they will both be about encouraging imaginative play. I'd take a look at both types and see which was the best made & most durable. Little Tykes I've found to be a great brand over the year and Fisherprice - both last ages and don't fall apart normally. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

I cant decide between getting my two and a half year old an easel with paints or a play kitchen.

Help me decide please?

Santa is bringing my little on a self built arts centre. This consists of coloured paper, paper plates, googly eyes, crayons, markers, scissors etc etc. All this combined with a Dora Easel from Smyths toys.

To be honest the kitchen thing (which I have) is quite good but ltd compared to the creative possibilities of the easel once it is combined with cheap and cheerful accessories.

My little one loves following shows like Mr Maker, plus she likes creating, colouring, painting etc. I would go with the toys that you have identified, kids love to express and paint and draw etc.

Plus you can get involved yourself as well, painting and colouring is fun at any age;)

I think the kitchen, while painting encourages creativity, a play kitchen is fantastic for little imaginations, there are so many things you can do in a kitchen! I would get a little apron etc to go with it too!

The easel is a lovely thing to have also but as others said, it's more fun to put loads of newspapers down and paint with mummy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

:D:D:D
    play kitchen
    D.E.F.O.
    :P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Play Kitchen. An easel is wasted on a child so young, they'll be as happy painting on a piece of paper on the floor or table as on an easel since they won't exactly be doing still lifes or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Darthhoob

play kitchen! encourages him to cook in future innit :D

get him a hoover and a duster and ironing board whilst ya at it :pac:

seriously though i think at that age he'll be more likely to enjoy a play kitchen than an easel and paints....i mean paints are fine but many kids get bored of painting quickly.....till they can actually draw/paint 'properly' anyway :D

saying that i bought my son a workbench at that age and all he did was break it and bury in under his cuddly toys...but then he doesn't have the ability to play creatively (though i didn't know that then)...he loved his easel though (when i got him one)

you know your kid better than anyone else :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Angel28

Either would be a great present - am sure ur little one would get enjoyment out of either. If it was me I'd probably go for the kitchen as my little one loves to colour at the table or on a messy mat on the floor. good luck with the shopping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I think the play kitchen has it. I'll add one to that. We got something similar for our similarly aged little one (play town with little figures).

table + paper sellotaped to it + cheapo paints for painting ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Ok. seems the verdict is in. Im sure he will find a way to turn the kitchen into an easel anyhow, considering he manages to turn my living room floor into jackson pollocks version of an upside down sistene chapel.

thanks for the feedback and merry christmas.

Advertisement