Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swine Flu Jab

Options
  • 16-12-2009 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Apologies if this has already been brought up but i'm new to this ...

Just wondering what parents thoughts are on the swine flu jab? I had just been celebrating the last of my daughters baby jabs when a few days later this letter comes by post telling me i have to bring her to a clinic to get the swine flu jab. I have since made an appointment for her but just want to know ...

Have you got it for your kids? If so were there any side affects?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

All four of us have had it, my husband had a sore arm but there were no side effects for the rest of us. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I had just been celebrating the last of my daughters baby jabs when a few days later this letter comes by post telling me i have to bring her to a clinic to get the swine flu jab. I have since made an appointment for her but just want to know ...

You don't have to. We got the letter last week also and will be getting our two done next week but it is totally up to you. I am in favour of them but others may think different similar to all shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

The 3 kids and myself were done and we're fine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Ludo wrote: »
    You don't have to. We got the letter last week also and will be getting our two done next week but it is totally up to you. I am in favour of them but others may think different similar to all shots.

Totally correct.

My daughters secondary school had theirs last week but my daughter had already decided not to have it and it wasnt an issue.

Of the ones who did I think one person complained of a sore arm for a few days afterwards but everyone else seemed to be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'd have no trouble getting all of us vaccinated. No idea if it's necessary after all three of us got confirmed swine flu though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I had my then 20 months old twins done and myself also, as pregnant again. I don;t normally get the flu jab but got both seasonal and H1N1 this year. I think the twins are too young to be able to deal with a flu, and frankly, it would be hard on me to have two truly sick kiddos too! They just had a cold this weekend, just 24 hours of fever and sniffly noses, and I was pretty exhausted by the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Both parents and our two had ours done- well the children have to have a second jab but we have to wait to be called for that. Apparently the first gives them 70% immunity.

No side affects for the children or my husband but I had a very sore upper arm for two to three days- and funnily enough of the lot of us I'm usually the most resiliant, never get sick, could be given a million injections and take no notice whatsoever, very high pain threshold. Let's just say other members of our family, who shall remain nameless, are normally the sensitive ones. LOL:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Our son got it already.

My wife (pregnant) is waiting another few weeks (until she is past 14 weeks) to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

On a side note my two (9 and 4 years) had their first jab a few weeks ago and when i rang to confirm the second, teh nurse said teh HSE had given new guidelines to give children under 10 only the one dose. Anyone else have experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Redpunto wrote: »
    teh nurse said teh HSE had given new guidelines to give children under 10 only the one dose. Anyone else have experience of this?

I am in the USA at the moment, and here, they say kids under 3 need two doses, especially if it's the first time they have had the flu jab, and one dose for over 3's, unless it's their first time, then two jabs also, about a month apart, for optimal protection. Only one jab if you are over ten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

My husband, my two kids and I all got it. I was the only one who suffered from the sore arm. The children (9 months and 2 1/2) had no reaction whatso ever. We got it 3 weeks ago.
    You should make up your own mind if you want it or not. You don't have to get it. If you are unhappy about it then research it and make sure you feel right about it. You will have to live with it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

nesf wrote: »
    I'd have no trouble getting all of us vaccinated. No idea if it's necessary after all three of us got confirmed swine flu though.

Hi nesf: you and your family were confirmed as having swine flu right? Can I ask what it was like and how you guys dealed with it? The reason I ask is because I have been sick for 3wks now (just getting over it now I think).

The symptoms I had were: 3 days in bed with what felt like a really heavy cold, then coughing for another few days. Followed by a hot and cold fever which lasted another few days. At one point I felt like I was going to pass out when I was out and about.

I'm getting better now but still flemmy, chesty, bit like a minor cold at the moment.

I do not get sick at all usually, when I do I fight it of within a couple of days but this bout knocked me for 6, and 3wks of it is unprecedented. My little one had the same cough and my little ones mom had the same cough as well for over 2wks.

Sound familiar?

As for the jab. I'm still wary about it to be honest as I wonder if it is necessary in general. I have read lot's of reports good and bad about it. I ere on the side of caution by the fact that it was rolled out so fast. Personally I do not know whether to get it done or not. My instincts are that I won't get it done in my situation as most of my family are not in the high risk category.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jessbud

Redpunto wrote: »
    On a side note my two (9 and 4 years) had their first jab a few weeks ago and when i rang to confirm the second, teh nurse said teh HSE had given new guidelines to give children under 10 only the one dose. Anyone else have experience of this?

My four year old got his first injection 3 weeks ago and was told to bring him back for 2nd jab after 3 weeks. Since that the new guidelines came in about only needing one jab so rang my local hospital who have been doing the vaccines and they said he still needs the second jab, as it is a booster and won't be fully vaccinated till he gets it. So he is getting it tomorrow.

As for side effects, I had a very sore arm for three days. It felt like I had slept on it and had a niggling ache in it. My son ran a temp that night but spoon of calpol and cold drink and was back in bed fast asleep in five minutes. Getting my 1 year old done tomorrow so fingers crossed she has no side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hi nesf: you and your family were confirmed as having swine flu right? Can I ask what it was like and how you guys dealed with it? The reason I ask is because I have been sick for 3wks now (just getting over it now I think).

The symptoms I had were: 3 days in bed with what felt like a really heavy cold, then coughing for another few days. Followed by a hot and cold fever which lasted another few days. At one point I felt like I was going to pass out when I was out and about.

I'm getting better now but still flemmy, chesty, bit like a minor cold at the moment.

I do not get sick at all usually, when I do I fight it of within a couple of days but this bout knocked me for 6, and 3wks of it is unprecedented. My little one had the same cough and my little ones mom had the same cough as well for over 2wks.

Sound familiar?

As for the jab. I'm still wary about it to be honest as I wonder if it is necessary in general. I have read lot's of reports good and bad about it. I ere on the side of caution by the fact that it was rolled out so fast. Personally I do not know whether to get it done or not. My instincts are that I won't get it done in my situation as most of my family are not in the high risk category.

The vaccine wasn't rolled out that fast, they do this every year with the seasonal flu vaccine etc. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about it about it they'll be able to advise you best.

We managed it with paracetamol and/or ibuprofin. I was put on Tamiflu as a precaution but that was due to medical history rather than immediate need. Beyond keeping the fever down it was just a case of grin and bear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I got my 7 month old son done yesterday.
    He was fine after it and I was told he doesnt need a second jab..

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭u2livecd

iggy wrote: »
    I got my 7 month old son done yesterday.
    He was fine after it and I was told he doesnt need a second jab..

Hi Iggy,

Was that the pandermix (gsk) or Celvapan (baxter) ??

Thanks.

Advertisement