Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silly Pants Questions

• 16-12-2009 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi guys, im going to vietnam/cambodia/laos etc fairly soon and I'd love to bring combat/camo style trousers/shorts simply because they're light and very handy because they've loads of pockets. However, im wondering if I would get dodgy looks in those countries if I was to wear this style of clothing?? Just trying to take every precaution.........Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 goonbob

Hi Op, don't worry about any funny looks as they won't be related to your clothing just you being a tourist/white/western. In these areas they are loads of backpackers on RTW trips like I was and chances are their clothes will be in tatters so they'll be the ones getting the looks.

I did find I got a lot of funny looks at my feet though. I thought it was because they were milky white but somebody told me they associate flip flops with people living in poverty and they think its funny that tourists wear them. Useless info for you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Dante09

Thanks but you didn't really answer my question. Allow me to rephrase.
    Given the histories of the above-mentioned countries would it be considered offensive/disrespectful for a tourist to dress in military style clothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 goonbob

US military uniform - Yes
    Combats you pick up down in Pennys - No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Dante09

cool, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Not unless it's straight up camo gear. If it's just the style and in a solid color you will be fine. Wearing milirary style clothing is more of an offensive thing to locals in central America as they reflect the uniforms worm by right wing groups. And even still you'd be unlucky to come across someone who took offense to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement