Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly smokers!

Options
  • 16-12-2009 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

It's bad enough passing by the collection of smokers outside the library every time you go out for a bit of fresh air, but what's more annoying is when the person sitting next to you in the library comes back from their smoking break smelling like a chimney. Revolting! What a turn off too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Do you want them to start conforming to how you want them to smell?

Plus you banned them from smoking inside and your pissed that they smoke outside?

What exactly do you want? That they smoke on the moon and then get doused in Chanel? Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

scop wrote: »
    Do you want them to start conforming to how you want them to smell?

Plus you banned them from smoking inside and your pissed that they smoke outside?

What exactly do you want? That they smoke on the moon and then get doused in Chanel? Get a grip.

I guarentee you in 30 years time we will be looking back saying how the **** did we tolerate smoking. It's disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

You sound like the type of person who would ring the Joe Duffy phone show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

qwert2 wrote: »
    I guarentee you in 30 years time we will be looking back saying how the **** did we tolerate smoking. It's disgusting

nah you won't.You'll 30 years older and stil be whinging about it on internet forums.

If you want people to agree with you,you should post up on ranting and raving.

Im an ex smoker,smell drives me mad but I believe in freedom of choice,other peoples bodies,other peoples choice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Have you ever considered that you might smell or that the cheap lynx you use to cover it might be even more offensive ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

I'm a smoker and to be honest I think non smokers like the OP should get off their high horse would you prefer the person sitting beside you to smell of BO and dog crap?
    Oh and if your looking for fresh air go to somewhere the smokers don't congragate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭jamser89

It's bad enough passing by the collection of smokers outside the library every time you go out for a bit of fresh air, but what's more annoying is when the person sitting next to you in the library comes back from their smoking break smelling like a chimney. Revolting! What a turn off too

Fair play. Outside the Arts Building is worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

In fairness, it is a bit annoying just walking out the front door of the library (or the arts block too), and being hit by a wall of smoke. That's coming from someone who isn't a smoking nazi.

Im sure it is irritating but its a fact of life. Build a bridge

017_GETOVERIT_QUAD_2SIDED.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Notorious wrote: »
    In fairness, it is a bit annoying just walking out the front door of the library (or the arts block too), and being hit by a wall of smoke. That's coming from someone who isn't a smoking nazi.

It must be annoying but it is outdoors and the non smokers did manage to claim indoors.

The OP seems to want smoking banned in general.
    All I can say to that is Best of Luck To Ya Buddy because If you think you and a few others being annoyed by it will have smokers going else where you happen to be mad as a bag of spiders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Evolute wrote: »
    It must be annoying but it is outdoors and the non smokers did manage to claim indoors.

The OP seems to want smoking banned in general.
    All I can say to that is Best of Luck To Ya Buddy because If you think you and a few others being annoyed by it will have smokers going else where you happen to be mad as a bag of spiders

Ha ha, "the non smokers did manage to claim indoors". You're having a laugh. I'm afraid you can't compete with that sort of mentality. Well at the end of the day it's the smokers who pay ridiculous amount of money for cigarettes and who more than likely (hopefully not) will suffer from poor health in later life.

Ha ha, "the non smokers did manage to claim indoors". You're having a laugh. I'm afraid you can't compete with that sort of mentality. Well at the end of the day it's the smokers who pay ridiculous amount of money for cigarettes and who more than likely (hopefully not) will suffer from poor health in later life.

Im sure cancer and a horrid painful death makes up for a few moments of nasal discomfort?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

They also look cool. And always have something to do while waiting for a bus. And it's great for striking up conversations with people in pubs. The kind of people that complain about smokers smoking outside in designated smoking areas are the kind of people that voted for Jedward in the X factor, call Joe Duffy and vote for Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I agree it's annoying, but if someone wants to smell horrible it's largely their loss.

St. Vincent's Hospital has taken it to its ultimate conclusion and banned smoking throughout the entire hospital campus, indoors and out. Very much doubt that would work in UCD.

I don't smoke, but sure, once we are taxing it massively, banning it in indoor areas and generally not promoting it, whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Use other doors, there are many, and they're usually closer to your destination than the main one. I only use that door If I'm going to or from admin.

Also, if you dislike what the OP is saying, I would strongly suggest you say that what he is saying is stupid, not that he is. One is debating a point, the other is personal abuse. One of those 2 things is banned.

Hint: It's the second one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

actually :) i think in 30 years time there'll be a cure for cancer so everyone will be smoking really, and on the smell well my boyfriend is a smoker so no problem there :P

now excuse me while i go for a smoke...

Raphael wrote: »
    ...if you dislike I what the OP is saying...

Ugh, that typo is hurting my head!

I also want to clarify that I called nobody nothing, capice?

Ugh, that typo is hurting my head!

I also want to clarify that I called nobody nothing, capice?
    What the..?

Where the hell did that I come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

The kind of people that complain about smokers smoking outside in designated smoking areas are the kind of people that voted for Jedward in the X factor, call Joe Duffy and vote for Fianna Fail.
    Jedward wreck my head, Joe Duffy wrecks it more and I vote for Fine Gael. I agree with the OP, the smell is disgusting (and I've a crap sense of smell, I can only imagine what it's like for people with a decent one), as is walking through clouds of smoke outside every door in the country.
    mloc wrote: »
    St. Vincent's Hospital has taken it to its ultimate conclusion and banned smoking throughout the entire hospital campus, indoors and out. Very much doubt that would work in UCD.
    Most likely not since it doesn't work in Vincent's either.
    Use other doors, there are many, and they're usually closer to your destination than the main one.
    Why should non-smokers should go out of their way to avoid having clouds of poisonous gas blown in their faces? If I wanted to get to the library coming from, say, Science, I'd have to either walk to the far end or the far side of the Arts block to avoid it. Would it not make more sense to provide a designated smoking area away from main entrances to buildings, as they did at Health Sciences?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Breezer wrote: »
    Why should non-smokers should go out of their way to avoid having clouds of poisonous gas blown in their faces?
    +1

• Advertisement

Breezer wrote: »
    Jedward wreck my head, Joe Duffy wrecks it more and I vote for Fine Gael. I agree with the OP, the smell is disgusting (and I've a crap sense of smell, I can only imagine what it's like for people with a decent one), as is walking through clouds of smoke outside every door in the country.

Most likely not since it doesn't work in Vincent's either.

Why should non-smokers should go out of their way to avoid having clouds of poisonous gas blown in their faces? If I wanted to get to the library coming from, say, Science, I'd have to either walk to the far end or the far side of the Arts block to avoid it. Would it not make more sense to provide a designated smoking area away from main entrances to buildings, as they did at Health Sciences?
    I was mainly referring to the Arts block on the multiple doors thing. I've never personally had a problem with smokers outside the library - it's a high roofed, well ventilated area.

Also, I find that holding ones breath momentarily when passing through the smoky areas works fine, if you're very bothered about second hand smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Maebh

Some of my dearest memories of UCD were standing outside Arts sharing a smoke with my friends...

I'll smoke, I'll cough, I'll get the cancer, I'll die. You happy?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Maebh wrote: »
    Some of my dearest memories of UCD were standing outside Arts sharing a smoke with my friends...

I'll smoke, I'll cough, I'll get the cancer, I'll die. You happy?

Only if the nurses febreeze you on the way out apparently.

Also, I find that holding ones breath momentarily when passing through the smoky areas works fine, if you're very bothered about second hand smoke.
    I do. That doesn't mean I should have to. If there was a line of dog crap 1 inch deep stretching across the door, I could easily step over that too, but I bet I'm not the only one who'd find it disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Man_bear_pig

dont mind the smoking myself but what p*sses me off most is that smokers just seem to drop the end of the smoke on the ground and walk off when they specifically put cigarette bins beside the library doors. is it that difficult to put it in the bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I never really found it a problem when I was a non smoker, they tend to sit on the wall or against the arts café, its not as if there's a mass group of them huddled around the doors.

There's a lot of things I don't like, such as people with BO who sit beside you on buses, but you gotta get over it and move on. There's other doors as well where the smokers don't tend to sit. If its that repulsive to you there's always them because the smokers ain't budging. Its the norm.

The distinction there is that there isn;t a large demographic of students who have a need to spread dog **** around.

As a matter of interest, where in the area of the library entrance could you put a smokers area?

As a matter of interest, where in the area of the library entrance could you put a smokers area?

I think the grassy area on the far side of the lake would be perfect :p

I think the grassy area on the far side of the lake would be perfect :p

We get it, non smokers are better humans.

• Advertisement

The distinction there is that there isn;t a large demographic of students who have a need to spread dog **** around.

There isn't a large demographic of students who have a need to smoke either. A want yes, a compulsion yes, but not a need. And dogs have to crap somewhere, same as smokers supposedly have to smoke somewhere, but if they were let do that outside the library or Arts there'd be war.

You could put one round the back of the library, near the delivery area, plenty of space there and not many people walking by.
    the smokers ain't budging. Its the norm.
    It was the norm to smoke in pubs 5 years ago. About the only good thing that government ever did.
    Grimes wrote: »
    We get it, non smokers are better humans.
    Nah, just better in bed :p

Advertisement