Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Please send me lecture notes" emails

Options
  • 16-12-2009 5:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭

Does anyone ever reply to these people? I've mailed back once or twice asking them to send me on whatever they receive (no harm in having extra material to compare to) but never get a response, possibly indicating that they were sent nothing. Probably fair enough but it's still a common sight in my mailbox at exam time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I've never been asked for notes, but I'm always getting mail asking about exam hints. I'd usually reply, but I never hear back.

An interesting one I got yesterday was from someone in the class who was looking to get opinions on the exam we had just done. He was looking for a few opinions so he could take them to the lecturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

'Gary's pleagh for help' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

'Gary's pleagh for help' :D

I reckon if their spelling is that appalling at college level and they hadn't even the cop to spell check, they're screwed anyway and there's little point in replying.

I hate getting emails from people asking for notes because they missed the last few lectures... yeah, more like didn't turn up because it was a 9/10am class. Should have made some friends in your class & ask them rather than annoying the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Never got that before... seems like a desperate last attempt. Their fault for
    not bothering to go to lectures. Leave them out to dry imo.

P.S. "pleagh"... unbelievable, in full facebook style: weebushy likes this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I was thinking about starting a topic and just copy/pasting the e-mails I get. I think I recieved 5 separate emails this exam period looking for help/hints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Haven't got any emails like that since first year. Like yourself I emailed the person back saying to forward them on, which they did, to their credit.

It's a bit desperate.
    Does anyone ever reply to these people? I've mailed back once or twice asking them to send me on whatever they receive (no harm in having extra material to compare to) but never get a response, possibly indicating that they were sent nothing. Probably fair enough but it's still a common sight in my mailbox at exam time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

it's extremely annoying imo i must have got 8 this semester asking for notes or help always the same thing!
    hi guys i missed a few lectures .... blah blah so unoriginal.
    i shall go back to my old man chair now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

I'd have a little sympathy if the case warranted it. UCD can be a hard place to make friends and a student could miss some lectures due to illness/personal problems etc. It's easy to fall behind. However, I hand-write all my notes so I wouldn't even be in a position to send them. And for my exam today, Intro to Political Goegraphy, the lecturer doesn't allow laptops to be out so I presume the majority wouldn't have notes on their PC to send on.

It'd be pretty cool if videos of lectures were available, I hate taking notes and trying to listen at the same time. It's ok for some lecturers but others are impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

It'd be pretty cool if videos of lectures were available, I hate taking notes and trying to listen at the same time. It's ok for some lecturers but others are impossible.

Ron Davies in Economics, youtubes his lectures I believe.
    I know a few lecturers in UL put sound clips of their lectures up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

And for my exam today, Intro to Political Goegraphy, the lecturer doesn't allow laptops to be out so I presume the majority wouldn't have notes on their PC to send on.

This I don't understand at all. I have long given up writing lecture notes on bits of paper in favour of silicon (it does all your sorting for you!). But the one think I will not do -I refuse to do- is to have some of my notes on bits of random paper and some on the laptop. Maybe the lecturers are forgetting that they are being paid, or just don't have much respect for education? (look I know some people just play Pong or whatever during lectures on laptops, but some people fall asleep in lectures where no technological input is required at all.) Oh my heart soars in the library at the nice little notices telling me that the library has gone to the trouble of disabling power sockets. The joys of modern science.

The worst kept secret concerning videoed lectures is that Stanford University has pretty much all of them, on youtube, for free. Surely this jeopardises the whole american policy of charging students 20,000 dollars a year for 3rd level education?

Edit: What about Declan Downey's uber-important lecture notes (where there is a strict number available, you actually have to sign a sheet in the school of history to receive them - and he point blank refuses to put them onto Blackboard). Not that I ever, like, bothered signing for them (they're just lecture notes, after all).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

[QUOTE=dyl10;63543950]Ron Davies in Economics, youtubes his lectures I believe.
    I know a few lecturers in UL put sound clips of their lectures up.[/QUOTE]

Well not this semester he didn't for Inter Micro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Well not this semester he didn't for Inter Micro.
    Fairly sure he did....

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ronalddaviesuo&search_type=&aq=f

For all the use they were to us for that b1tch of an exam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

lol these emails are annoying/ "I missed the last lecture" I suppose that's correct but you missed all the other lectures too didn't you?
    I email back random topics which don't have a snowballs chance of coming up. Dog eat dog world out there, I have to take out the competition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

dyl10 wrote: »
    Ron Davies in Economics, youtubes his lectures I believe.

His youtube videos show you how to do a lot of the maths on the course. It's handy stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

In fairness, for my subjects anyway, if you even just do the readings you'll have a fairly good grasp on the subject and be able to do something come exam time.

I do hate though that some lecturers seem to want to try and make things as hard as possible. I don't know, I just get a kindof vindictive attitude from some of them. I remember last year we'd a heap of lengthy readings to do for one module. The lecturer told us to "get up earlier" if we were having trouble getting the readings done. It's kinda funny but not funny at the same time. I did get an A- in it so maybe I shouldn't be moaning but I just didn't appreciate the attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

I'd have a little sympathy if the case warranted it. UCD can be a hard place to make friends and a student could miss some lectures due to illness/personal problems etc. It's easy to fall behind. However, I hand-write all my notes so I wouldn't even be in a position to send them. And for my exam today, Intro to Political Goegraphy, the lecturer doesn't allow laptops to be out so I presume the majority wouldn't have notes on their PC to send on.

Sure i sat in there writing my note on the laptop.
    he just doesn't like it if u sitting with your m8s and messing which is fair enough i guess.

Advertisement