Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work NZ - Ski Season

Options
  • 16-12-2009 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone have advice on working during the ski season in NZ?

Where did you go? Thus far I have been looking in Mt Ruapehu.
    What is the competition for jobs like?
    Was it enjoyable?
    Where did you live? Is accomodation provided or do you have to get your own?
    Is being able to drive a necessity?
    Was it expensive?
    Would you reccomend it?
    I'll be on a WHV from Eire - will this suffice visawise?

I'll be arriving from SEA in early June so in time for the season to begin and think this could be a fun alternative option for a WHV.

Any feedback would be brill.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Haven't worked on the skifields myself but it's a popular job. Ruapehu is the biggest skiarea, on the south island queenstown (coronet peak and remarkables) and wanaka (treble cone and cardrona), and mt hutt near christchurch are the best bases.

Only bit of advice is that the applications for work close pretty early in the year, including for lift work, bar work etc. Missed out myself the one year I looked because applications had closed already.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Oisintarrant

Just left Queenstown in Oct, we all tried for jobs on the slopes but they have a tendancy to hire a lot of people from uk, canada and mainland europe over the Irish, I only say that as about 10 of us applied and only one of the irish girls got an interview.
    Corenet Peak would be the better of the two, they dont pay for accom, you have to pay for your meals, they seem to hint at free equipment for staff but all the staff I knew ended up getting their own boards etc due to hassle.
    They have buses that pick up staff from Queenstown and drive them to and from work free. Otherwise, try hitting up the car rental companies out in the airport, thats where I got work, and ended up with free rentals and half price ski passes thru the company!
    My intention was to drive the buses there, its the highest paying job with the slopes and you still get your free pass on the slopes (if your not working for NZski, make sure you get it early, the price goes up by nearly 250 dollars by end of april I think). Youll need to do the bus test there etc.. but theyre after dropping their outsourced bus companies and using their own drivers so plenty of opportunity to get a job there.
    Hope this helps! If you have any questions let me know. Oh and arriving in June is a big no no. All the accomadation & jobs will be gone by mid May.

EDIT: a WHV is perfect, file for a tax no. when you land immediately, along with a bank account and drivers license (40 dollars, handy for ID and a lot of other stuff) Make sure if your applying for any job to tell them your there for a year+, they never hire season backpackers! And god yes I and everyone I met LOVED it!!

Advertisement