Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

450D lens advice (or ow my head hurts)

• 16-12-2009 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

I know I know there are a million and one threads on here asking about lenses and I think I've read them all as well as everything relevant ever written and my head is spinning from information overload.

I've had the Canon 450D with the kit lens for a couple of months, love it and am just trying to learn what it all means and geting to grips with figuring out how to take photos in anything other than auto mode... thus I have a couple of books and mags and hopefully will go to some classes after Christmas. The sensible thing would be to wait until I've learnt how to use it properly before splashing out on a lens but there's a birthday coming up so I need to decide soon :o

In general the camera is used as a general walkabout camera, family stuff etc but I am also interested in nature photography and find myself frustrated at not being able to get a decent shot of birds etc. I would like to try some macro stuff at some point too but that can wait. I'm not trying to become a "proper" photographer.... just trying to develop a hobby (and burn a hole in my pocket!)

Budget is (probably) fairly low... max 300 ish. IS is important. The Canon EF-S 55-250 is jumping at me but I really don't know enough to know :confused:

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Hi,

Something like the Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro lens would probably be a worth while investment. Not too expensive and will yield some nice results with the areas you wish to expand into.

I had one myself and enjoyed it.

Hope these help:
    Reviews
    Place to buy
    Flickr Group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

DK32 wrote: »
    Hi,

Something like the Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro lens would probably be a worth while investment.

Thanks a million DK. I was looking at that yesterday and thinking it was perfect but then got mixed up and found myself looking at the
    sigma-70-200mm-f2-8-apo-ex-dg-macro- which was waaayyyy too expensive. See.... lots to learn :o:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

"Nifty Fifty" all the way ! To my mind the best value cent for cent lense you can buy, will bring your shots on a league and you'll have some change left for printing those lovely sharp and pretty bokeh shots that you will acheive to easily

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2986/art/canon/ef-50-mm-f-1-8-ii-standar.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

What's the difference in the Macro and Macro super on those sigma lenses other than the price? Is the super worth an extra 50?

The nifty fifty had also made it to my list. It's certainly well recommended. nice to know I'm thinking in the right direction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I'm a relative newb - only been snapping for the past year or so - and I was in the same boat last year and decided to get myself a "nifty fifty" - (link) and was really pleased with it. It opened up a lot of opportunities for me to play with DOF and produce some interesting (if not technically brilliant) shots. I'd really recommend it if you are looking to develop your skills (no pun intended), playing with Bokeh etc. It's my default lens now, although I have recently bought a 20mm f2.8 which I'm just getting used to.

Here's a couple of links to some pics I've taken with the 50mm. (don't want to take up loads of room so I've just linked to them)

Picture 1
    Picture 2
    picture 3

I don't know much about macro shots but this probably won't suffice for insects etc but it should be ok for taking general nature shots.

Look forward to seeing the results :)

ps: it's also very light and cheap. Save the rest for your next lens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I should also mention I have a f/1.8 nifty-fifty, it's a great lens and for the money (under €100 new) it's worth every cent. Given the €300 budget, you could go for both ;)
    The sigma will give you both the telephoto and macro and the 50mm as Sprinkle suggests will open up a lot more avenues for you to explore.

Advertisement